PDA

View Full Version : What do you call the plane for making raised panels?

Richard Hutchings
01-14-2015, 8:53 AM
I'm wanting to buy one but I can't find any on ebay.

george wilson
01-14-2015, 9:00 AM
A badger plane. Patrick Leach's tool list has one I'm pretty sure.

David Weaver
01-14-2015, 9:01 AM
badger plane or panel raiser, search for either one.

Someone may also call them a large rabbet plane or something.

Try to find one that doesn't appear to have too much wear around the corner where the iron protrudes from the side - especially at the mouth. If the mouth is eroded significantly, they can have feeding problems - especially if they don't have a double iron to redirect the shavings upward.

Stew Hagerty
01-14-2015, 9:03 AM
uh... Panel Raising Plane. They have them, also look for a Badger Plane. They are typically from England and aren't as complex as a true Panel Raiser, but they do the job.

Check out this episode of Uncle Roy's.

http://www.thirteen.org/programs/the-woodwrights-shop/raising-panelzona/

Richard Hutchings
01-14-2015, 9:50 AM
I've seen that one. He makes it look easy.
uh... Panel Raising Plane. They have them, also look for a Badger Plane. They are typically from England and aren't as complex as a true Panel Raiser, but they do the job.

Check out this episode of Uncle Roy's.

http://www.thirteen.org/programs/the-woodwrights-shop/raising-panelzona/

Richard Hutchings
01-14-2015, 9:54 AM
I used to be on his email list but I found his prices to be out of reach for me. I found some on ebay but they come from the UK and shipping makes the cost too high for what there worth. I may have to make my own.

A badger plane. Patrick Leach's tool list has one I'm pretty sure.

Jim Koepke
01-14-2015, 1:03 PM
My first raised panel was for a cabinet recently built for my wife. A large rabbet was used at first, then a #6 turned out to be a bit better for the job.

Here is a #90 rabbet plane being used on the cross grain:

The biggest problem with using a rabbet plane is the blade can cut into the edges of the field being planed. My mistake here might have been cutting the outside edges first.

Using the #6 didn't have a problem with marring the edges:

This worked for a simple raised panel. It could have been made a bit better by first making a raised plateau first and then working the angle.

My understanding with purposed panel raisers is there should be a matched pair for dealing with grain direction, one for left and one for right.

I too long for a real panel raiser, but until one can be afforded I will "fake" it.

jtk

Jerry Thompson
01-14-2015, 1:21 PM
The last panel raiser he used, The American Plane, shows his using it with the grain. How is the other long grain planed? It seems one would need a plane designed to be used on the other side. Sort of a mirror image of each other so as not to be planing against the grain and causing tear out.
Edit: I did not see Mr. Koepke's post.

Darrell LaRue
01-14-2015, 6:24 PM
I needed a panel raising plane last year, so I made one.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?214750-finished-my-panel-raising-plane
It's not easy, but it isn't impossibly difficult either.

Darrell