PDA

View Full Version : Safe laserable backing board

Joe Kace
01-14-2015, 7:32 AM
Can anyone suggest a safe backing board that can be cut in the laser. I make alot of graphic art designs and currently use PETG as my backing, but the smell is nauseating to say the least. It would need to be firm not flimsy. I attached an example, the front 2 characters are the graphics I use PETG on.

Thanks
Joe

Isaac Clarke
01-14-2015, 7:36 AM
I don't have an answer to the question, but that is awesome, I'm a huge fan of all the SG series.

Dan Hintz
01-14-2015, 10:36 AM
The use of (what looks like) textured acrylic really makes this piece tops, IMO. VERY well done, Joe.

Matt McCoy
01-14-2015, 1:55 PM
Will acrylic not work?

vic casware
01-14-2015, 3:34 PM
WOW that IS awesome, Is that digital printed graphics and just the background done on the laser? I must start experimenting
my gear and make stuff like this, industrial labels etc are boring

Dave Sheldrake
01-14-2015, 4:19 PM
That's a really impressive piece of work Joe...love it

john passek
01-15-2015, 12:26 PM
Very Nice,
sorry I can't help.

Joe Kace
01-17-2015, 9:17 AM
Thanks everyone for the compliments. The 2 front characters are Hi Rez Printed graphics, the background ( pyramids ) is laser etched cast acrylic. The center blue piece is HZ printed as well. The stargate is silver engraveable plastic laser etched and cut out to match the symbols on the acrylic.
I make these for the Stargate Pinball Machine, my business is all focused on Pinball related items since I own the license art to almost all games produced. Here is a vid so you can see it in action. Still hoping for a backing material answer but everything I find has PVC in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfz5CXSW2Es

Ray Scott
01-17-2015, 9:57 PM
I want to kick in a small comment. I have found that the off-gas from PETG will cause gold-coated mirror to flake off of the silicon substrate. Has anyone else seen this issue?