PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and question

Michael Collins
07-23-2005, 6:41 PM
Hi All!

I have been lurking for a while, learning a lot and enjoying SMC, and looking forward to learning more. I am pretty new to woodworking and am in the process of collecting tools.

That provides a perfect segue to my first, of what will probably be many, questions. Someone in my area is selling a 9" Rockwell table saw for $95. I have found out that the model number is 34-570 and that it has not been used in about 10 years. The owner also indicated that it appears to be in good working order, but I have not checked it out yet. I have been looking for info on this saw and have checked OWWM but have not been able to find anything. So my question is, does anyone know anything about this saw or where I can find some info and is this a deal I should not pass up? Ok, so that was two questions. I told you there would be many. :D Thanks.

Mike

Corey Hallagan
07-23-2005, 7:03 PM
Welcome to SMC. You will like it here. If that table saw is in good shape, I am sure it will be usefull especially on smaller projects. I assume (?) that it also has a smaller motor so thickness of stock, capacity and HP will be limiting, but hey, I used a Craftsman 8 inch benchtop for my first 6 years in woodworking :) Have fun!

Corey

Jim Hager
07-23-2005, 7:32 PM
Hey Mike.

Go to Deltamachinery.com to look up information about the saw. I just went over there and got the parts list. http://media.ptg-online.com/media/dm/Parts%20Lists/20021115200000_CS3.pdf This link is a parts breakdown in pdf form.

I have an old Delta/Milualkee 9" tilt table saw that I have retired. It was my grandpa's saw. When I used it to work with some 18-20 years back I had trouble finding blades for the 9" saw. I haven't paid attention to their availability nowadays but you might do a search for them before you buy the saw.

As far as its ability to do the work you want it will probably do the job for you. By looking at the parts breakdown it looks like a pretty well designed saw.

john whittaker
07-23-2005, 8:43 PM
Michael, I can't tell you EXACTLY what the 34-570 model is. What I can say is that the Rockwell 34-500 series table saws had smaller tables with an 8" or 9" blade. Not sure how old the 570 is but most of the models in the 500 series were manufactured in the early 1950's. I recently visited a local cabinet shop and the guy had one of these set up as a permanent dado machine. It is similar in design to what we now call contractor saws, in that it has a motor hanging off the back, or underneath. Many came without stands but they are heavy enough that I would not consider them portable. If the fence has not been upgraded, it may be the biggest drawback as it had to be adjusted every time you moved it.

Good luck on your decision and welcome to SMC.

- John W

Michael Pfau
07-23-2005, 9:02 PM
Welcome Michael, I hope you have fun here..good people and good knowledge.