PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP. Spindle stopped in the middle of a job!

Jesse Fitzpatrick
01-13-2015, 5:21 PM
Hello everyone. I have an old Hermes Vanguard 7200 that I am running with Flexisign. In the middle of a small job, my spindle motor just stopped. Does anyone know if there is a way to test the motor to let me know if it is bad or if it is a wiring issue? Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you!

Jesse Fitzpatrick
01-13-2015, 5:26 PM
Additionally, at the beginning of the day, I started a job and the spindle was not spinning. I turned the speed up a little bit and it kicked in and started working. This gives me an idea that it might have something to do with the speed knob wiring. However, I know nothing about this stuff, so I figured if there is a way to check the motor that it's a good place to start. As of now, it has stopped for good and no longer will work.

Scott Shepherd
01-13-2015, 5:30 PM
I don't know that machine, but the motor might have brushes in them, if so, they could be worn. You can replace them if that's the case. That's where I'd start.

Bert Kemp
01-13-2015, 5:56 PM
I agree with Scott that bit about turning up the speed is a clue that the brushes might be bad.Look on both sides of the motor if you see a round plug with a slot in it that's were the brush should be. unscrew those plugs and the brushes will be at the end of a spring.Cheap to replace if you can find them.

Chris J Anderson
01-13-2015, 6:14 PM
If it was a faulty speed knob (assuming its a potentiometer (pot)), I would think that the motor would still operate intermittently if you twisted the knob back and forth. Even if the pot had a bad contact it should still operate.

So I would then agree with the above posts about maybe motor brushes if it has them, otherwise just carefully unplug and reconnect any connectors etc, and check for bad / loose wiring etc throughout the whole machine.

Most faults are caused by bad / loose connections (just like my teenage years).

Hope it works out for you.

cheers,
Chris

Jesse Fitzpatrick
01-13-2015, 7:12 PM
Thank you all. I am going to check that out right now and will let you know what I find!

Mark Sipes
01-13-2015, 8:03 PM
http://q1engravers.com/images/Brushes_Motor_V5000_NV5-2023_NV5-2025.jpgshould look like these

Bert Kemp
01-13-2015, 9:55 PM
WELL YEA cept the carbon brushes will be all worn out :p:D
http://q1engravers.com/images/Brushes_Motor_V5000_NV5-2023_NV5-2025.jpgshould look like these

Jesse Fitzpatrick
01-13-2015, 10:35 PM
Well, after looking closely at the motor and making a few calls to some engraving parts suppliers, I found out that my motor does not have brushes. One of the gentlemen I spoke with said that if the motor stops on this particular machine, it is usually because of the speed control. So I ordered the parts to replace that and will let you know if that does the trick. Thank you so much for your information! Here are a couple pics of the motor just in case you were interested. Thanks again!