PDA

View Full Version : Drawer groove stop

Richard Hutchings
01-13-2015, 4:45 PM
What do you hand tool guys do to stop the groove in a dovetailed drawer? I have a grooving plane that works great but I'm not sure I want a groove or plug showing on the outside of my drawers.

Zach Dillinger
01-13-2015, 4:50 PM
Half blind dovetails at the corner, making sure that the groove itself is contained wholly within a tail on the sides (and therefore buried in the socket on the drawer front.

Sean Hughto
01-13-2015, 5:28 PM
What Zachary said most of the time. A well thought out plug is nearly invisible or even a design element.

Jim Koepke
01-13-2015, 6:29 PM
What do you hand tool guys do to stop the groove in a dovetailed drawer? I have a grooving plane that works great but I'm not sure I want a groove or plug showing on the outside of my drawers.

This can depend on your grooving plane. There are ways to make a stopped groove.

If you like through dovetails, make sure the groove is in the pin board. It will only show when the drawer is open.

Half blind dovetails as Zach mentioned are another way.

On case work there is always molding to hide the groove. For a drawer, some will add "cocked beading" strips to hide the groove and the dovetails.

jtk

Joe Bailey
01-13-2015, 6:33 PM
A technique I like (first observed by me when used by Roy Underhill) consists of plowing the groove in all four sides of a drawer FIRST.

NEXT rip both ends of each of two opposing drawer sides down to the bottom of the groove to a distance equal to the finished thickness of the stock (prior to ripping).

Now cut dovetails in reduced area of your stock, as well as corresponding ends in the remaining two drawer sides.

(I can only hope this explanation makes sense)

Daniel Rode
01-13-2015, 8:42 PM
What Zach describes is IMO, the most common way to make drawers. Through dovetails with an applied front gives essentially the same result. Although I've not done it with a plow or grooving plane, I've seen a couple different ways to make stopped grooves. An easy one is to make a mortise on each end and plow out the middle. Even so, a plug in the end grain on the side of the drawer is hardly going to stand out.

Dave Anderson NH
01-14-2015, 10:05 AM
Most commonly when I make drawers the dovetails into the face of the drawer are half blind so there is no issue of the groove showing. For the dovetails at the rear I use full through dovetails. It doesn't matter if the groove shows through the back. This is the traditional way for hand made drawers going back at least to the 17th century and probably a whole lot longer than that.

If you do need to have a stopped grove, a drilled hole where the groove will stop and some final trimming with a chisel works just fine.

Richard Hutchings
01-14-2015, 10:27 AM
A technique I like (first observed by me when used by Roy Underhill) consists of plowing the groove in all four sides of a drawer FIRST.

NEXT rip both ends of each of two opposing drawer sides down to the bottom of the groove to a distance equal to the finished thickness of the stock (prior to ripping).

Now cut dovetails in reduced area of your stock, as well as corresponding ends in the remaining two drawer sides.

(I can only hope this explanation makes sense)

Nope:confused:

Richard Hutchings
01-14-2015, 10:30 AM
If you do need to have a stopped grove, a drilled hole where the groove will stop and some final trimming with a chisel works just fine.

I don't know if I'll need to use this method but it's great to know how. Thank you. I think the half blind is what I'll use for my drawers.

Zach Dillinger
01-14-2015, 10:35 AM
Another traditional way to skip the drawer groove all together, rabbet the drawer side bottoms, and nail in a bottom, then glue on drawer slips of a hard-wearing wood such as white oak.

Judson Green
01-14-2015, 10:37 AM
What Zach says...

Or you could do a French bottom. At least that's what I think its called. Essentially a 3 sided door frame (1 style, 2 rails (or possible 2 rails and 1 style), and a raised panel with the raised bit to the bottom) glued to the bottom of the drawer box.

Not sure if I have this right or not, perhaps someone else could clarify.

Joe Bailey
01-14-2015, 11:34 AM
Nope:confused:

OK -- try this ... [at about 4:35, he begins the operation I tried to describe]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dksOjFPHu5s

Richard Hutchings
01-14-2015, 11:41 AM
I'll have to check it out tonight. I'm at work and this is blocked. Damn IT.

Rick Whitehead
01-14-2015, 2:44 PM
What he's doing in the video is rabetting the inside face of the drawer side. The rabbet runs the depth of the groove and the width of the side.
Here is my interpretation:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y159/knifmann/Rabbetteddovetail_zps3a4375bf.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/knifmann/media/Rabbetteddovetail_zps3a4375bf.jpg.html)
Hope this helps.
Rick