PDA

View Full Version : Jet Bandsaw Upgrade Bearing Guide, need a Bushing?

Jay Jagerson
01-13-2015, 9:41 AM
I have an older JET band saw with an open base that I would like to upgrade to a roller bearing guide.

The Jet roller bearing guide part #708127 JRBG-14
http://content.jettools.com/assets/manuals/708127_man_EN.pdf

From my understanding I need a bushing JET #150214, for the life of me I can't see to find one on the web. Its a guide post bushing and I think it goes from 7/8" to 3/4".

Have anyone of you used this guide and what did you do for the bushing, make your own?

If someone has a better option for a roller guide I open to that as well, I'm not married to the JET guide, just thought that would be the easiest!

Thanks

Jay

lowell holmes
01-13-2015, 9:57 AM
How old is your saw. My Jet bandsaw is about 10 years old. I put the Carter guides on it. It was an easy job.

The performance is really good, but it is more noisy since the change. I haven't figured out why. It may have nothing to do with the guides, but I suspect the cool blocks dampened some of the noise and the new guides have no noise dampening material in them.

I have no opinion about the Jet bearing guides.

Jay Jagerson
01-13-2015, 10:07 AM
How old is your saw. My Jet bandsaw is about 10 years old. I put the Carter guides on it. It was an easy job.

The performance is really good, but it is more noisy since the change. I haven't figured out why. It may have nothing to do with the guides, but I suspect the cool blocks dampened some of the noise and the new guides have no noise dampening material in them.

I have no opinion about the Jet bearing guides.

Do you have an open stand JET saw? I would say my saw is about 10 years old as well.

lowell holmes
01-13-2015, 1:01 PM
It is a closed stand, but I'm not sure why that will make a difference.

Tell me what dimensions you need and I will get them from my saw.

I'm not pushing the Carter guides. I saw the add recently for the Jet guides and thought they might be better on the Jet saw. The guide post is 7/8" diameter less 1/128" on my saw.

The Carter guides come with all of the bushings required to mount the guides. The blade guard is changed as well, and I dislike that there is no telescoping of the guard when you raise and lower the post.

I have a pdf copy of the parts brochure for my bandsaw and it is the same for both open and closed versions of the saw. I see no bushing on the support for either saw.

Jay Jagerson
01-13-2015, 1:58 PM
I will measure it when I get home. I was just looking at the JET guide manual and they note the guide post is a different size for the open stand models vs closed stand, I admit it sounds strange to me. I can spin a bushing if I have too but would rather not bother if I can get one for $6

allan kuntz
01-13-2015, 5:41 PM
i am in the process of changing my bearings to a product that looks like a bearing but is made of the cool block material. These are meant to go right against the blade. They just screw on in place of the bearings. I got them from a place called R&d in Canada. My band saw is about 1 year old and has not seen a lot of use but the bearings are squealing real bad. I just got them in the mail today and will probably not get them on until the weekend. I will post my findings. I did a lot of searching and most people seem to prefer the blocks to bearings
Al

Jay Jagerson
01-13-2015, 7:37 PM
Well the guide post is 7/8" so a JET bearing guide will work without the bushing they say you need, very strange.

Jay Jagerson
01-13-2015, 7:49 PM
Is this the company you are talking about?
http://www.tufftooth.com/

I don't see the parts your are talking about I do see the blocks.

I think I see them now,

RB1415
To replace roller bearings*
*Fits 14" & 15" saws (Delta, King, Toolex, Trademaster & General)

Jay Jagerson
01-13-2015, 8:10 PM
This is what happens when I don't keep up with the current tech!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7gmzra_5_c

This Carter Stabilizer looks like it would work very well. I need to think about this more as I'm trying to do more curves than anything else.

allan kuntz
01-13-2015, 9:00 PM
yes Jay that is the company and the item
Al

Jay Jagerson
01-13-2015, 9:54 PM
Thanks Al,

Jay

Bruce Wrenn
01-13-2015, 10:08 PM
Just pick up a 7/8 OD X 3/4 ID bushing. It could be an sleeve bearing, as it only serves as a spacer. File a notch in it, and you are ready to go.

lowell holmes
01-16-2015, 1:55 PM
I'm curious. How did this turn out?