PDA

View Full Version : Sealing exterior travertine pavers?

Frank Martin
01-13-2015, 12:30 AM
We have just installed travertine pavers on our drieway and backyard. I am not sure if a sealer is needed or not. The contractor did not necessarily think it is needed, although he quoted a pretty high price if I want him to do it. Ideally, I would prefer a bit darker/wet look and most importantly stain resistance. If these are my goals, what specific products do you recommend? I prefer to apply it myself.

I live in southern CA, with plenty of sunshine and mild temperature year round, a mile from the ocean if this matters.

Chris Padilla
01-13-2015, 10:57 AM
Try the John Bridge tile forum if you don't get many answers here.

Sean Troy
01-13-2015, 11:31 AM
I was a contractor in Az. for 20+ years and only delt with natural stone. Any product used outdoors will be adversely affected by the sun and heat. The life span of the product will be greatly shortened as opposed to indoor use. You will have to reapply the product at least yearly. I'm not not sure what products are on the market now, especially in Ca. where you would be greatly limited because of laws but none of it that might work will be cheap. The only product that actually worked outdoors for me was 200.00 a gallon wholesale and covered 400 sq. ft. Oil based also. Not available anymore. Lot's of products will say they work but be very wary unless you can speak to a customer that's having good luck with a product used outdoors.

Frank Martin
01-14-2015, 9:39 AM
Chris, thanks for the forum suggestion.

Sean, your point is exactly the reason I wanted to get opinions here.

I checked the older posts on the John Bridge forum and seems like 511 Enhancer and Sealer and Dupont Stone Tech Enhancer Pro are the two well regarded products. I checked the application instructions and it seems a bit laborous with first application and then removing the excess. I have 1,000 square feet to cover. I will keep looking for one that is easier to apply without the need for removing the excess, but not sure if it exists.

Jamie Buxton
01-14-2015, 10:34 AM
Maybe I'm missing the point, but travertine is rock, right? It has been hanging around outside for millions of years, and it has survived, right? So what does sealer do for it that it can't do for itself?

Stephen Tashiro
01-14-2015, 1:39 PM
The currently exposed face of the stone hasn't been exposed for millions of years. To some tastes, the rock my look better after a long exposure to weather (including dirt). I suggest looking around in the area for older paving installations to see how they've weathered. See if there'a any weathering effect that one would wish to forestall.

Sean Troy
01-14-2015, 1:42 PM
Tire marks and oil drippings would be the only reason to seal outdoor stone in a drive area. Power washing could probably remove most stains or marks.

Mel Fulks
01-14-2015, 2:42 PM
Newly cut stone definately looks different from weathered. Some years back I had a two color stone pattern with red
morter installed on front door stoop. Some how it got a drop of oil on it ....and I could not stop looking at it. Put two types
of sealer down, niether aged well. They are pretty much worn off and I will not be messing with any more sealers.

Frank Martin
01-15-2015, 12:34 AM
I totally understand the leaving it alone perspective. I am still considering doing just that. The only reason I am even considering an enhancer/sealer is to improve the looks (a bit more wet and enhanced color) as well as better stain resistance. From everything I read it seems no enhancer/sealer will likely last a long time (i.e., longer than couple years) and I am definitely not going to be sealing this annually or every other year, so unless I find a miracle product, I will likely leave it alone...