PDA

View Full Version : biesemeyer rear angle iron replacement on unisaw

cody michael
01-12-2015, 9:48 PM
I bought a unisaw and it was missing the rear rail, I have 2 pieces of angle iron, 1 is 1.5x1.5 inch. 1/8 thick. In good shape.
I also have 2.5x2.5 1/4 thick, kinda rusty but could clean up.

Or I can go by a different piece. What is your suggestions.

Does anyone know the size and thread pattern of bolts on the rear of the saw?

Don Roberson II
01-12-2015, 10:11 PM
The rear angle iron is not needed for a Bies. It is only for table support I would think that the 1 1/2x 1 1/2 would work if long enough to support your side table. Most have legs out there anyway for stability

cody michael
01-13-2015, 7:48 AM
The rear angle iron is not needed for a Bies. It is only for table support I would think that the 1 1/2x 1 1/2 would work if long enough to support your side table. Most have legs out there anyway for stability

it did not come with a table, so I am going to build one, I have a sheet of particle board with plastic top, or I am trying to find something like a piece of granite to make something more durable. even if I use something heavy like granite you think that the 1/8 by 1.5 angle is strong enough to do whatever it needs to?

Steve Baumgartner
01-13-2015, 8:46 AM
it did not come with a table, so I am going to build one, I have a sheet of particle board with plastic top, or I am trying to find something like a piece of granite to make something more durable. even if I use something heavy like granite you think that the 1/8 by 1.5 angle is strong enough to do whatever it needs to?
Don is correct on both points: the rear rail is only to align and support the table, and the table normally has legs as well. If I were using something as heavy as granite for the extension table, I'd add more legs to carry the weight, not put all that stress on the cast iron saw table wing.

Steve

cody michael
01-13-2015, 9:03 AM
does anyone know what thread pattern the holes on the unisaw are?

from bies manual I got either
3/8-24 x 1-1/4” Hex HD Screw (2)
or
. 5/16-18 x 1-1/4” Flat HD Screw (2

but I'm not sure which it is. the screws that come with the saw that hold the front angle iron to the saw are about the same size, but wrong thread pattern

Lee Schierer
01-13-2015, 6:08 PM
The actual Biesmeyer back angle is 5/32 thick all along the legs and one leg is 2-1/2" while the other is 2".