PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here ever tried or know some who tried these chape carbon filters?

Clark Pace
01-12-2015, 2:45 PM
No sure if a link is aloud. But I've seen thees floating around. Looking at the design I can't imagine they work very well, but they do have some good remarks.

I would be very, very interested if any of you have tried one.

http://www.amazon.com/VenTech-IF6CF620-Inline-Virgin-Charcoal/product-reviews/B0052ZPMAG/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_13?ie=UTF8&pageNumber=13&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=byRankDescending

P.S. There is a canadian company that makes a entirely different system. More like the tradtional, and they start at around $600. I can't for the life of me remember there name. Any ideas?

Gary Hair
01-12-2015, 2:57 PM
I use one when I apply adhesion promoter for my UV printer and it works really well! It's a bit louder than I had hoped for but it certainly moves lots of air.

Clark Pace
01-12-2015, 4:08 PM
I of course would want to reduce the smell coming from my machine. I do mainly acrylic :)

Bill George
01-12-2015, 5:33 PM
No sure if a link is aloud. But I've seen thees floating around. Looking at the design I can't imagine they work very well, but they do have some good remarks.

I would be very, very interested if any of you have tried one.

http://www.amazon.com/VenTech-IF6CF620-Inline-Virgin-Charcoal/product-reviews/B0052ZPMAG/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_13?ie=UTF8&pageNumber=13&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=byRankDescending

P.S. There is a canadian company that makes a entirely different system. More like the tradtional, and they start at around $600. I can't for the life of me remember there name. Any ideas?

I am assuming you are saying Cheap, not chape carbon filters

Clark Pace
01-12-2015, 7:24 PM
I am assuming you are saying Cheap, not chape carbon filters

While my spelling has gotten worse since google came on the scene. I did mean Cheap(affordable). :)

Gary Hair
01-12-2015, 7:26 PM
I of course would want to reduce the smell coming from my machine. I do mainly acrylic :)

It's on Amazon - buy it and if you don't like it, return it... You have 30 days to test it out.

Glen Monaghan
01-12-2015, 9:49 PM
I use a very similar unit in my filter, but figured at least an 8" fan would be needed to move enough air. My filter unit uses four 16"x19" filters, each 4" thick, in series. First is a Diamond Accumulair (APR 1950) pre filter, then two trays of activated charcoal pellets and, finally, a HEPA filter. I think the stack does a pretty good job for most of my work. I still get an acrylic smell when cutting the stuff but I think I get more of the smell from the cut pieces after removing them from the machine than I get from the filter during cutting.

Especially if you are wanting to filter acrylic smells, I'd be leery of one of these 6" fans. I think I'm using rather larger filters than most others, which makes for less restriction and so more air flow, but I'd say the 8" fan is only "okay" in terms of how much air it can pull through my filters. Smoke frequently billows up instead of always being drawn straight back to the exhaust port of the laser, and I have to clean my optics more frequently since I started using the filter. I want to try a 12" fan unit that will just barely fit my filter enclosure but I need to cut a new mounting plate for it before I can try it and see if it draws enough more air through the stacked filters to clear the smoke out of the laser better. Based on my experience with my filter, I would not recommend a 6" fan but it may work for you if you use less filtration.

Glen Monaghan
01-12-2015, 9:56 PM
Oh, my 8" fan came with one of those cylindrical carbon filters and I gave that filter a brief try. It did a poor job of reducing burnt wood smells when cutting BB and was completely ineffective when cutting acrylic. You're only getting 1-2" of LARGE carbon chunks--mine were about 1/2-3/4" chunks, so not much chance to capture odors. The commercial units I looked at use a minimum of 8" AC for odor control. I first tried, and wouldn't use, my filter for cutting acrylic with only 4" of AC.

Clark Pace
01-12-2015, 11:32 PM
Oh, my 8" fan came with one of those cylindrical carbon filters and I gave that filter a brief try. It did a poor job of reducing burnt wood smells when cutting BB and was completely ineffective when cutting acrylic. You're only getting 1-2" of LARGE carbon chunks--mine were about 1/2-3/4" chunks, so not much chance to capture odors. The commercial units I looked at use a minimum of 8" AC for odor control. I first tried, and wouldn't use, my filter for cutting acrylic with only 4" of AC.

I found this site. It's kind of what I was looking for. Maybe the same product sold from canada, but the prices seem reasonable.

http://www.allerairsolutions.com/4000prices.html