PDA

View Full Version : Need 1/16 Masonite/ Tempered Hardboard

Link Van Cleave
01-12-2015, 12:17 PM
Need a piece or two of 1/16" Masonite or Tempered Hardboard, High Density Fiberboard, what ever you want to call it. For right now a 6"x36" piece would work. It is supposed to be a standard size but good luck finding any. If anyone has a piece to spare or knows of a source I would be much obliged.
Thanks

Larry Browning
01-12-2015, 12:59 PM
Isn't 1/16 about the thickness of laminate (formica)? I have never heard of hardboard thinner than 1/8. Of course, I don't get out much either!

Mike Schuch
01-12-2015, 1:06 PM
I have never seen masonite thinner than 1/8" either.

What do you need it for?

Charles Taylor
01-12-2015, 1:14 PM
I found at least one supplier who lists 1/16" when I did a quick Web search, but at the borg nearest me, 1/8" and 3/16" are my only choices, at least in 4'x8' sheets. I wonder what a local (truly local) building supplier could find for you.

Erik Loza
01-12-2015, 1:20 PM
+1: Never see it that thin.

Is there another material that could work instead? Like phenolic sheet? Or could you get a thicker piece of masonite and just take the difference out of the substrate?

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Peter Kelly
01-12-2015, 4:09 PM
Wilsonart and Formica both make horizontal grade "backer" laminate. Would probably easier to locate than 1/16" tempered hardboard.

Link Van Cleave
01-13-2015, 1:24 AM
I know it exists because I have seen it on a product at my local supplier. They had a sample of a kind of bending board. 3/4" particle board glued to 1/16" hardboard. The particle board was kerfed right down to the hardboard. Playing around with it I could bend the hardboard to a very tight radius. I want it for a clamping layer for a lamination project. It would be perfect. I could cut some popular veneer to 1/16" and it should work but I was very impressed with how nicely this stuff bent but was still the right stiffness to spread out the load from my cauls. Being pretty homogenous it is better than solid wood. Plus to get the same bends I would have to pre-bend the popular. I called the company who makes the 3/4" kerfed stuff but they are across the country from me. They were nice and willing to send me a sheet of the hardboard but not so cost effective because of shipping. They get it from Canada. I suppose I could get some if I wanted 1,000 sheets. On the internets it is listed as coming in 1/16", 1/8", and 1/4" commonly. But I have never seen it available in 1/16" either and I do get out a lot.
Thanks

john bateman
01-13-2015, 4:43 PM
I have taken 1/8" tempered hardboard and ran it through a lunchbox planer with the rough side up. After a couple light passes it was 1/16" thick.
Just cut the piece long, as it will have some snipe that needs to be removed afterward. And you will need to put a spacer board on the planer first, as most won't go down to 1/16"
The BORG's around here sell 1/8" in 24 x 48" pieces for around $6.