PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
01-12-2015, 8:54 AM
12 Jan 2015

Hey look, I remembered it's 2015. :)

Not much for me over this past weekend. The MIL has brought me a couple of things that she wants done in her apartment and I tried to rest/relax a bit this past weekend because of other things like work and life things that I've been tending to.
My hope is that I will get back to the LOML Jr's blanket chest this week and see how much further I can get on it.
I'm also planning on building a 5-string bass. This will be my first instrument build and necessity is causing me to push harder to build a bass because the one that I want is over $4K.....I figure I can build one for far less than that...and I guess we'll see as that time approaches.

That's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

David Ragan
01-12-2015, 10:30 AM
I didn't do anything besides rest and think about how to best utilize some freed up space in my small basement shop.

The guy is supposed to be finished today with moving all the wood out-into vertical storage in another room.

My plan is to get all the stuff down from height to minimize me having to get up on a ladder to get misc items, books, wood, etc. The most common cause of disability in adults is falls.......

Over the years, I have accumulated sooooooo much stuff in my shop that I'm getting claustrophobic. Too much clutter. Plus, I probably have lots of tools, items, etc that I never use cause have forgotten that I have them and can't see them.

All that stuff goes into the "now mine" basement shop storage room.

Mike Ontko
01-12-2015, 10:31 AM
Finally, after initial shop setup and jig construction, I've been able to build a rough prototype (using plywood and milled 2x4 lumber with pocket screw joinery) for my coffee table project. And what a learning process it's been! I don't know that I'll build a full blown prototype for every project, but for the ones I do that don't use someone else's pre-planned drawings it can be a total time and cost saver. The purpose of this prototype was mainly for gauging what the right dimensions should be for the overall table size. But it also gave me a chance to try out the tapering jig I built and to find out that I needed to fine tune the zero angle stop on my tablesaw blade. I didn't purchase a lot of extra board feet of the European beech that I'll be using for the actual build, which leaves me little margin for mistakes. So, this has been a worthwhile step in the overall process.

Keith Hankins
01-12-2015, 11:07 AM
Man was so burned out from the rush of the holidays, the only thing I did was clean up. Took the opportunity to clean the sawstop ICS good, and get a new coat of T-9 Boeshield on the Cast. My hat's off to you guys that keep a spotless shop. I just can't do it. I do my after projects, or I can't stand it no more. :) Yall have a good one.

Jim Becker
01-12-2015, 8:21 PM
Horse show weekend as well as very cold and uncomfortable, so no woodworking ensued. But I do have some projects planned... ;)

Shawn Pixley
01-12-2015, 9:23 PM
Saturday it rained all day so most of the day was spent inside with dogs near the fire. I worked on a painting technique that I'll be using on a project. It is important to get the brush stroke right before you have to do it for real. Watched the Seahawks advance. Sunday was shop cleanup (mostly my family's mess - grrrrr!). We went to see the Imitation Game at the theatre. Very good movie about a great mathematician.

Brian W Smith
01-13-2015, 7:44 AM
First bow(recurves)of 2015.

21" riser with a cpl sets of limbs(47&51#) for this years 3D tourneys.Also throw in a bunch of NFAA stuff.Very pretty riser,black phenolic fr,with curved colour stripes,with a nicely figured Walnut grip area.Will snap a few pics and put it in another post.

Shot it a bit yesterday dialing in a brand new(proprietary)arrow rest.Might be pushing the limits juust a touch on some rules....we'll see.It isn't "better" per se,just a new approach to some clearance for fletching.Micro Tig welding,and some nice finish polishing/linishing on it.Will get a thorough workout at this coming w/ends shoot.Then will be back at drawing bd(haha) for some design tweaks.Then will make a 1/2 dz and let a few shooters test them.

Have two more,both 19" risers ready for finishing,in the wings.These will be ready for testing middle of the year or so.

Rod Sheridan
01-13-2015, 8:30 AM
We went to see the Imitation Game at the theatre. Very good movie about a great mathematician.

Shawn, we saw that movie as well, it was very good.

On the woodworking front I made good progress on the cabinet for an electric fireplace for one of the bedrooms.

It's nice to use that red oak that I resued from going to the chipper..........Rod.

cody michael
01-13-2015, 9:48 AM
Saturday I went and bought a Unisaw to replace my contractor saw.

Brian Henderson
01-13-2015, 4:01 PM
Haven't had much time to be in the shop lately. I know I have a bunch of projects that need doing, I just haven't had the chance to start any of them. Spent some time disassembling and cleaning my sanding station and verified that it does, indeed, have a bad switch, not just clogged with sawdust. It now looks out-of-the-box new and clean and I've ordered a new switch that should be here next week.