PDA

View Full Version : Can't get the table to tilt on JET JDP17DX drill press

Travis Conner
01-11-2015, 10:00 PM
Ok so I read the directions and it said to turn the nut on the pin clockwise to pull it out, which I was able to do. The problem is the cap screw. It says to loosen it but it's so tight I can't get it to budge. I even used a dead blow hammer on the wrench to try and break the bolt loose, but it wouldn't budge. Am I doing something wrong here? It says to be careful so the table doesn't fall down. I'm assuming you just loosen it enough to tilt the table, not actually remove it. Any help would be great.

Travis Conner
01-11-2015, 10:05 PM
What if I pounded on the table with a dead blow hammer, would that give me more leverage to tilt the table and loosen the bolt?

Steve Peterson
01-12-2015, 11:25 AM
I have the same issue with my Steel City drill press. It's a different model, but sounds like a similar design. There is a pin to lock in the flat position and also a large heavy bolt that needs to be loosened. I usually just prop a board at an angle. It is too much effort to tilt the table.

Steve

Bill Huber
01-12-2015, 11:57 AM
This is from page 12 of the manual..

Jim Laumann
01-12-2015, 12:17 PM
Travis

I've got that press, and have had no issues loosening / tightening the cap screw (bolt). I use a 1/2" drive rachet w/ a socket (24mm I think). Are you getting enough leverage to loosen it?

Jim

Travis Conner
01-12-2015, 6:44 PM
Travis

I've got that press, and have had no issues loosening / tightening the cap screw (bolt). I use a 1/2" drive rachet w/ a socket (24mm I think). Are you getting enough leverage to loosen it?

Jim

You do it counterclockwise to loosen right? I used a 24mm wrench and a deadblow hammer. All I had at the time was a wrench. I'll try a ratchet since the wrench kept hitting the indentation on the table around the bolt. If I use a ratchet I should be able to put my weight on it and get it to break loose. This press was kind of spendy so I didn't want to force it. haha.

Tai Fu
01-12-2015, 7:19 PM
I had an issue with those Grizzly type drill presses. The bolt is so tight that you probably need a 3/4" angled impact wrench to make it budge.

Don Sundberg
01-12-2015, 7:34 PM
I'd hit it with a 3/8" impact in my shop but if that wasn't available a socket with a breaker and a cheater if needed should get it broke loose or break the bolt. Heck I'd just like a decent drill press that I had the option to tilt the table.

Don

Travis Conner
01-12-2015, 11:59 PM
I'd hit it with a 3/8" impact in my shop but if that wasn't available a socket with a breaker and a cheater if needed should get it broke loose or break the bolt. Heck I'd just like a decent drill press that I had the option to tilt the table.

Don

I have a 1/2'' 24'' breaker bar so i'll give that a try. I suppose I can go to home depot and get some 2'' diameter pipe to use as a cheater bar. I've been wanting to get a cheater bar anyways. lol

Jim Laumann
01-13-2015, 1:20 PM
Travis

I've got the Jet and a bench top Craftsman drill press, and neither has required 'heroics' to break the cap screw loose, they should be snug and not much more, near as I can tell. Righty-tighty, Lefty-loosie should be the process (I just did this the week before Christmas on a present, and I'll be danged if I can say for certain which direction right now. I will check it tonight :( )

You are correct w/ regard to loosening the bolt - you don't need to remove the bolt, just loosen it enough to pivot / move the table.

If you go w/ a breaker bar and pipe, you might want a helper to help steady the machine, lest you put so much leverage on it (the bolt), that you tip the entire press over.

The only other thing I can suggest is to try some penetrating oil on it.

Jim Laumann
01-14-2015, 1:05 PM
You do it counterclockwise to loosen right?

Counter clockwise is correct.

Travis Conner
01-16-2015, 8:34 PM
Well I got it. I used my 24'' half inch breaker bar with a 24mm impact socket. Now I just have it snug enough to hold the table securely at an angle. Not overly tight like before. Now my other problem is the drill bit wandering when at an agle and not wanting to go into the wood. Probably just cause I didn't have the piece clamped.

Bob Clark CA
07-15-2016, 4:49 PM
Well I got it. I used my 24'' half inch breaker bar with a 24mm impact socket. Now I just have it snug enough to hold the table securely at an angle. Not overly tight like before. Now my other problem is the drill bit wandering when at an agle and not wanting to go into the wood. Probably just cause I didn't have the piece clamped.

I used my battery powered impact driver with a 24mm socket to loosen the bolt - it worked great and I didn't skin any knuckles.

Thanks to all for the thread - it's reassuring to get confirmation on thread directions and such.

Also, my contribution - it wasn't clear to me how the pin removal worked. By tightening the nut (clockwise), it pulls the pin out of the mating hole.

Bob C.

Doug Carlson
08-02-2017, 9:08 AM
I had the exact same problem with my brand new Delta 18" drill press. I FINALLY got it to turn with about a 24" breaker bar - and now I Cannot get that bolt to tighten back up! It just spins and spins and spins. The indexing pin is the only thing holding the table in place. Without that pin, the table would be unusable.
Looking for any advice as to how to tighten that bolt up! (It's labled as (TT) in the attached page from the manual.)

Doug