PDA

View Full Version : Used North State CT 381 15 inch planer

Larry Thomas
01-11-2015, 5:06 PM
I bought a used planer and got a new set of blades for it. I set the blades with setting gauge as close as I could! I ran a piece of maple to check it out and it leaves little indents or gouges in the wood. Any idea on what to try next?

Lee Schierer
01-11-2015, 5:08 PM
Can you post a photo of the dents? You could check the pressure rollers and make sure there is not debris stuck on them.

Larry Thomas
01-11-2015, 5:48 PM
Can you post a photo of the dents? You could check the pressure rollers and make sure there is not debris stuck on them.

I don't have a way to take pictures, but it looks more like gouges than dents. There are no pattern to them, they aren't very deep but are noticeable! Could it be the chip breaker causing this?

Thomas Hotchkin
01-11-2015, 11:34 PM
Larry
Do you use a dust collector with your planer? If not, the dents could be from wood chips coming off planer blades just before your stock goes through the out feed roller, or as Lee said.

Matt Day
01-11-2015, 11:37 PM
If there is no pattern, my guess is it is tearout. Could that be it?

What method did you use to set the blades?

Art Mann
01-12-2015, 11:09 AM
If I don't use a dust collection with my planer, the feed rollers will mash little dents into the board surface with the shavings. This is just a confirmation of what Thomas and Lee are saying.