PDA

View Full Version : When to stain

Joe Mcclaran
01-11-2015, 4:32 PM
I have a question about how long I can wait before staining a project after I use a water base conditioner. Can I wait a day or two before staining. Thanks

George Bokros
01-11-2015, 4:51 PM
What water base conditioner are you using? What does it say on the products container?

Joe Mcclaran
01-11-2015, 5:24 PM
I am using Minwax water based wood conditioner. The instructions just tells me I can sand after 15 to 30 minutes. I can't get back to my project for a couple days to stain. Iam using it on yellow pine to keep from bloching. Thanks

Art Mann
01-11-2015, 5:28 PM
My answer would be to wait as long as you want to. The question I would be asking is how long must you wait for the material to cure before putting on the stain.

George Bokros
01-11-2015, 5:51 PM
I am not familiar with MinWax water based conditioner but MimWax solvent based conditioner I have used and you must apply stain within two hours with that one. I have used Charles Neil water based conditioner and you can wait as long as you want. With CN you apply one coat let it dry two hours then sand with 320 grit and apply a second coat and if you still have some grain raising sand with 600 grit. I just did a maple cabinet using CN with TransTint dye mixed with water and it came out awesome, not one sign of any blotching.

Joe Mcclaran
01-11-2015, 5:53 PM
The yellow pine was kiln dried to a moisture of around 7-8 I do believe. I can't remember for sure.

Jerry Thompson
01-11-2015, 6:05 PM
+on Charles Neil's conditioner. I was able to make poplar look like cherry on a test blanket chest I made.

Joe Mcclaran
01-11-2015, 6:07 PM
Thanks art and George. I used the conditioner on a sanded scrap peace. Will try the stain tomorrow.