PDA

View Full Version : Hobby CNC Choices

Lee Koepke
01-11-2015, 1:57 PM
Hello SMC CNC'ers! I have spent most of my last few woodworking years in the spinny world of turning and another vortex has attracted my attention. The CNC routing world. I dont really plan on heavy production work, just signs / carvings / engravings - that sort of thing. I would like my minimum work area size to be 18x24. My budget is right at the $3000 range. As usual, there are tons of options, choices, and information on the interwebs and I think I have narrowed it down to a few options. A little insight from the guys that use these types of machines. I'd really like something thats more or less assembled. I dont think for my first venture I want to be building my own - even though I probably could get a better value.

The options I have run across:

Zenbot CNC - has a 24x24 machine that seems to fit my parameters. It uses an HDPE frame so the concern is overall rigidity.

CNC Router Parts - the Benchtop Basic is a sturdier frame and a little smaller work surface than Zenbot. From what I read it takes much more assembly time.

If there are any other ones I may have missed along the way, I'd appreciate the pointer.

Always seem to get pretty good info from Creekers during my evolution of my woodworking addiction. So thanks in advance for any advice!

Bruce Page
01-11-2015, 2:40 PM
Lee, this thread is somewhat dated but still contains some good information. Be sure to scroll down as the thread evolves.
Also be sure to factor in the price of software.

Affordable CNC... (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?132600-Affordable-CNC)

Lee Koepke
01-11-2015, 2:46 PM
Lee, this thread is somewhat dated but still contains some good information. Be sure to scroll down as the thread evolves.
Affordable CNC... (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?132600-Affordable-CNC)

I read that one - thats how I found out about the Zen Bot machine! Is there any other evolutions since that thread, I guess is where I was headed, being almost 5 yrs old. I went to a demo yesterday for the new Pirannah by Shark (NWA) and it reinforced to me that manufacturers are seeing more guys like me that want a smaller platform to work on and they are starting to market less expensive machines.

I was just curious if there were any new insight.

Bruce Page
01-11-2015, 4:16 PM
I haven't been following the entry level market, I bought the CAMaster Stinger in 2013. As Jim McGrew said in the thread, do your homework. After sale support was a big factor in my decision process.

Art Mann
01-11-2015, 5:05 PM
I was in your shoes just about a year ago. I looked long and hard at the CNC Router Parts kits. I corresponded with the owner of the company and many CNCRP builders on the CNC Zone forum. Although I didn't buy one, I am convinced that they sell very good equipment at fair prices. I briefly looked at Zen Bot and was less impressed. Ultimately, I went with the CAMaster Stinger One like Bruce did. I would rate it as a small commercial grade CNC router rather than a hobby machine. The price was quite a bit higher than the CNCRP model but at this point I am glad I stretched out there and bought it. After a year, my biggest regret is that I didn't buy a larger machine.

I noticed you are from Carrolton. Camaster builds their CNC routers at a shop in Cartersville. I think that is only an hour drive for you. I went there just to look at their machines and they were very nice. I suggest you give them a call and arrange a visit if you can. You will learn a lot, even if you don't buy one of their machines right away. Their support forum (camheads.org) also has small used machines for sale from time to time. A lot of them are being sold by people who are trading up to a bigger machine.

Tony Joyce
01-11-2015, 6:28 PM
This looks very interesting for the price range you mentioned.

http://www.gryphoncnc.com/

No affiliation, just found it a very interesting site.

Tony

Leo Voisine
01-12-2015, 12:16 PM
There are lots of options out there - lots.

A lot of it has to do with your personality and what you are willing to accept.

If you need a lot of training and operating support - local may be better.

If you are somewhat well versed in using a CNC machine and can do some repairs yourself the options can get a little broader.

This chinese manufacturer is reviewed as having good support and a decent machine www.qcrouter.cn (http://www.qcrouter.cn)

Of course there are charges and fees to get it from China to your home.

I plan to buy my third machine from them.

I currently have a 24x24 machine and want more - so I plan to upgrade to 48 x 48 x 12 "Z" axis ans a 4-th axis.
I'm saving up fro that.