PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Shaper G1035P

Dave Lehnert
01-10-2015, 6:34 PM
Did a search and found many post that were a few years old.
Like to hear from owners of this shaper and how they like it.

https://d27ewrs9ow50op.cloudfront.net/pics/jpeg288/g/g1035p-d299a812728635e8f8d30f51f4553325.jpg

Mike Heidrick
01-10-2015, 7:06 PM
I owned a 2hp Griz shaper exactly like that that but it was green. These are just my opinions as a previous owner. The table is small and the through hole is not very big. The fence and hold downs are pretty generic too. You wont be swinging any large cutters or mounting a large feeder easily either. Its sized more like a router table than a shaper. Not sure what your use is (that will define if you like it). If you have a 220V and can wait I would advise just getting a 3hp full size shaper if this is your first one unless you need this size machine. Mine got sold to a buddy that wanted it vs a more expensive fancy router table build. He likes it. The 3HP griz shaper is considerably more machine but still has a lousy fence setup too.

Rob Holcomb
01-10-2015, 10:10 PM
I also had this shaper but it also was Green. I agree with Mike that the table was small. It was way too small for the work I wanted to do with it. I ended up selling it for the following reasons. Shaper cutters are way more expensive than router bits, the table was way too small, the fence was not very good and the hold downs were crude by today's standards. I built a router table with a 3HP router and bought a 1/2" collett for door making shaper bits and have a very nice fence for it. I am really happy I made that decision and have had no problems whatsoever. The build of the table itself, the router and fence ended up costing less than the shaper did.

Shiraz Balolia
01-11-2015, 12:44 AM
Mine is a biased opinion, so take it for what it is.

I also have the green one in my shop (had it for over 10 years), together with two larger shapers. I use this one exclusively with router bits using the router bit spindle and optional cast iron wing that makes the table larger.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1706

You can also make a larger table with a melamine top that wraps around the whole table giving you as much space as you want. The spindle speeds are more than enough to handle any router bits I have used on that machine.

Dave Lehnert
01-11-2015, 3:22 PM
Thanks for all the info so far.

I am looking at it as a large router table / small shaper

John A langley
01-11-2015, 4:22 PM
Dave have you looked at the shop fox 2 hp I do not have one but I've been looking at them ?

Shiraz Balolia
01-11-2015, 4:56 PM
Dave have you looked at the shop fox 2 hp I do not have one but I've been looking at them ?

The Shop Fox offers an optional wrap around table as well.

http://www.woodstockint.com/Extension-Table-for-W1674-Shaper/D3124

Dave Lehnert
01-11-2015, 7:06 PM

Yes I have, Looks like a good unit with lots of upgrades.
But for the price it's more than Im willing to spend considering how much use it will see in my shop.
I have a large dealer here in town that sells ShopFox. If I ever get a chance to go over and see what they have in stock and what kind of price you never know what will end up in my shop.