PDA

View Full Version : Folding a 1" wide bandsaw blade

Mike Henderson
01-10-2015, 5:09 PM
I just got a band saw that will handle large blades and bought a 1" blade for resawing. When I take that blade off the saw, is it safe to fold it into three loops. I can fold small blades into three loops but a big blade looks like it could be tough to get to fold up.

I'm worried about damage to my hands while attempting this. What do you say? Is it a difficult or dangerous task? Or am I worried about nothing?

Mike

Andrew Hughes
01-10-2015, 5:29 PM
Folding up is not so bad Mike ,I wear glove when I unfold my wider blades ESP after they are sharpend.So my larger band saw takes a 14 foot blade,It's a big circle when it's open.I try not to let it drag on the ground.
What new saw did you get?

John A langley
01-10-2015, 5:30 PM
Mike it's a chore I gave up even with gloves on and hanging on the wall

Mike Henderson
01-10-2015, 5:47 PM
Folding up is not so bad Mike ,I wear glove when I unfold my wider blades ESP after they are sharpend.So my larger band saw takes a 14 foot blade,It's a big circle when it's open.I try not to let it drag on the ground.
What new saw did you get?
It's a Mini Max 20". The story of my getting it is here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?225033-Need-some-help-on-price-of-a-bandsaw&highlight=). And here's a picture of the finished product.

Mike it's a chore I gave up even with gloves on and hanging on the wall
I think I'm going to take your advice, John. I'll just hang it on a peg next to the band saw. Unfolding the 1" (safely) was difficult enough.

Mike

Kevin Bourque
01-10-2015, 6:00 PM
My sawmill blades are wider than that and I can easily fold them up into 3 loops. I always wear gloves.

Rob Damon
01-10-2015, 6:50 PM
I have 160" 1-1/2" on my bandsaw. They come coiled when you buy them new. Just wear heavy gloves and go slow. The longer the blade the easier it is.

Andrew Gold
01-10-2015, 7:01 PM
I have a 24" Agazzani, with some 1" blades... it's easy to fold them, yours should be too.

Give it a try, I bet you'll laugh that you were worried it wouldn't work.

Mike Henderson
01-10-2015, 7:18 PM
I have a 24" Agazzani, with some 1" blades... it's easy to fold them, yours should be too.

Give it a try, I bet you'll laugh that you were worried it wouldn't work.
Okay, I'll wear gloves and give it a try. I don't have any problem with the narrower band saw blades.

Mike

Viking Mountain Tool Works
01-10-2015, 7:37 PM
Anyone know the trick to doing 4 loops on a blade? I have some that come in four loops from timber-wolf, and I cant seem to figure how to re-fold them.

Mike Cutler
01-10-2015, 7:41 PM
Mike

It can be easily folded back into three loops, but if you have the space, just hang it on the wall.

I ended up with a nice little "dig" in my cheek once from "unfolding" my 1" resaw blade. Little bugger got away from me. I think that's more of the reason why I leave them unfolded.

Jason Beam
01-10-2015, 8:19 PM
Anyone know the trick to doing 4 loops on a blade? I have some that come in four loops from timber-wolf, and I cant seem to figure how to re-fold them.

Fold it into 3 - then "tuck up" two of the loops to make 'em smaller and one bigger loop. Then fold that loop once more to make the 4th.

I don't have any problem folding a 1-1/8" resaw king carbide tipped blade that's 131-1/2" long. The way I fold them, no stepping and hardly any muscle is needed. I don't even need gloves. I just grab it like a hoola hoop (only i'm standing outside of it) with my hands at around 10 and 2 o'clock, facing the corner of my work bench. Teeth can be either up or down, i usually do teeth up. Hook the blade on the underside corner of the workbench and slowly walk forward, it'll naturally guide your hands upwards and together as they naturally twist. You'll reach a point where it almost wants to fold itself, just a little twist and bringing your hands together and you're good to go - it'll just coil right up on top of hte bench - no muss, no fuss. No white knuckles, no terrifying "spring tension" waiting to uncoil on you. Very controlled.

I learned that method from Graham Blackburn at a woodworking show about 10 years ago - I never stress about folding a blade. Unfolding ... that's easy - put on a pair of leather gloves and take it to the back yard ... start the unfold and toss it into the grass to let it do it's snake charming well away from you! :P

Chris Padilla
01-11-2015, 1:39 AM
I don't think you can do 4 loops...you can only fold it into an odd number of loops. Maybe I'll try to get 4...3 is easy and 5 is easy...never tried 4. See Post 18 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?94688-Five-%285%29-ring-bandsaw-blade-folding&highlight=ring) in this thread where I was able to do 5.

Anyway, Mike, 1" is no problem...same as your narrower blades.

Curtis Myers
01-11-2015, 6:02 AM
Another Italian stallion. Nice addition to the shop.

John Coloccia
01-11-2015, 6:16 AM
This is how I do it. I routinely fold and unfold 1" blades like this. I can't deal with all of the Rube Goldberg methods....step on this here, hold that hand there, put the other hand on your hip, turn around 5 times, twist your foot that way, etc etc. This method is simple. Wear gloves the first couple of time. It will boost your confidence until you discover what a non-event this is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btOSZNjWMyk

Mike Henderson
01-11-2015, 12:27 PM
That video is helpful, John. It's not the way I do a thinner band saw blade but it looks like it will work well for a wider one. Thanks for posting that.

Mike

Mike OMelia
01-13-2015, 6:46 PM
Mike, I swear, it's really easy once u see it done. I fold my 1 1/8 resaw king like that.

John Coloccia
01-13-2015, 7:05 PM
I fold them all like that. :) I don't even bother hooking it under my belt. Maybe I would for truly gigantic blades, but for 1" blades and under, just a quick flick of the wrist is all it really needs. The guy in the video makes it look a lot scarier than it really is, like he has to hold back this scary snake, ready to uncoil and grab you, but it never felt that way when I actually did it. It felt very controlled and very safe.

Edward Oleen
01-14-2015, 4:07 PM
The video is VERY helpful. I have a tip which may be of interest to some. I don't use twist-ties to keep the band curled up. Instead I use what are called (sometimes) "Banker Clips". They come in various sizes, from teeny tiny small (for 1/8th inch blades) to giant ones (for 1 inch blades). Two or three per blade and the blade is very secure and the clips go on very easily. I tie a string to the clips the first time I use a set to keep them together. That way if you drop one it can easily be found, which the twist-ties can't.

I also use banker clips when installing a blade. I locate the blade on the top wheel, and clamp it into place with large banker clips - not the biggest, but ones that fit comfortably. Then I put the blade on the lower tire, and retain it with a single clip. THEN I raise the blade tension lever - my saw, a Powermatic PWBS-14CS came with the Carter guides and tensioning system built-in. Remove the clips, give it a spin once by hand, just to check the tracking, close it up, and turn it on.

It works like a charm every time. It used to take forever to change a blade - now I can almost do it in my sleep.

The banker clips - both the blade keepers and the blade mounting clips - stay neatly out of the way when I stick them to a magnet strip bought in the home supply store - it was sold to put knives on in the kitchen.

>>>Je Suis Charlie<<<

Mike Henderson
01-25-2015, 1:13 AM
I took the 1" blade off the band saw yesterday and folded it as shown in the video and it folded very easily. Thanks, John, for posting that.

I guess I was worried about nothing.

Mike

[It was harder to get the blade off the bandsaw than to fold it:)]

Rod Sheridan
01-25-2015, 7:52 AM
I just got a band saw that will handle large blades and bought a 1" blade for resawing. When I take that blade off the saw, is it safe to fold it into three loops. I can fold small blades into three loops but a big blade looks like it could be tough to get to fold up.

I'm worried about damage to my hands while attempting this. What do you say? Is it a difficult or dangerous task? Or am I worried about nothing?

Mike

Hi Mike, I fold those and the 1 1/4" for my bandmill without issue.............Regards, Rod.

Fidel Fernandez
01-25-2015, 11:54 AM
I found these videos before your post.

They showed how to fold/unfold the blade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKXjLDQy9Yo

and a different method to unfold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WUiEJEZMT

Jerry Olexa
01-25-2015, 12:30 PM
Above all, wear GLOVES..

William Payer
01-25-2015, 1:00 PM

Mike

I have folded my 131.5" 1 inch carbide tipped resaw blade using the techniques outlined above. I now leave it unfolded. When folded the diameter is less than the diameter of my bandsaw wheels, and since large width blades tend to fail from being stressed continuously by the relatively small radius of most bandsaw wheels, my thought is unfolded might just add to its useable life span.

I found using the "cable cuffs" at HD to fasten folded blades is very convenient and quick. Being orange, they are also easier to spot when taken off compared to wire ties.

Dennis Aspö
01-25-2015, 2:26 PM
The one that worked most easily for me was the one where you put the bottom of the loop under your foot and something soft like wood and then just folded it. I should learn the other methods. I use 175 inch blades in my saw.

Allan Speers
07-12-2015, 9:16 PM
Is it really advisable to store blades this way, long term? I now they're shipped this way, but there really isn't any other option for shipping.

Do blade manufacturers recommend this?

It's easy enough to hang them on the wall, behind the band saw, no?

Dennis Aspö
07-13-2015, 3:04 AM
I don't see what kind of stress the blades are put under from being stored this way?

Thomas Crawford
02-13-2023, 5:16 PM
Fold it into 3 - then "tuck up" two of the loops to make 'em smaller and one bigger loop. Then fold that loop once more to make the 4th.

I don't have any problem folding a 1-1/8" resaw king carbide tipped blade that's 131-1/2" long. The way I fold them, no stepping and hardly any muscle is needed. I don't even need gloves. I just grab it like a hoola hoop (only i'm standing outside of it) with my hands at around 10 and 2 o'clock, facing the corner of my work bench. Teeth can be either up or down, i usually do teeth up. Hook the blade on the underside corner of the workbench and slowly walk forward, it'll naturally guide your hands upwards and together as they naturally twist. You'll reach a point where it almost wants to fold itself, just a little twist and bringing your hands together and you're good to go - it'll just coil right up on top of hte bench - no muss, no fuss. No white knuckles, no terrifying "spring tension" waiting to uncoil on you. Very controlled.

I learned that method from Graham Blackburn at a woodworking show about 10 years ago - I never stress about folding a blade. Unfolding ... that's easy - put on a pair of leather gloves and take it to the back yard ... start the unfold and toss it into the grass to let it do it's snake charming well away from you! :P

I tried many different methods to get my 1" blade coiled and this was by far the easiest and most under control. Thanks.

Derek Cohen
02-14-2023, 9:12 AM
This is an old thread. Still, I fold/unfold a 1" Carbide Woodmaster CT. This video is the same method I use ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=folding+a+bandsaw+blade&oq=folding+a+bandsaw+blade&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i22i30i625j0i22i30l2j0i390l2j69 i60.8525j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:5f90c143,vid:ZFAPniN2zrk

Regards from Perth

Derek

Robert L Stewart
02-15-2023, 1:41 PM
It can be a bit tricky. My first try folding a 1" x 240" blade was short of perfect, just a slight nick.
Gloves are a must!