PDA

View Full Version : First Post

Peter Pedisich
07-22-2005, 10:46 PM
Hi, this is my first post. I hope to have a photo of myself up soon (it's being "PhotoShopped" back 60lbs circa 1983! ;) )One of the things I like about SMC so far has been the advice and constructive criticism on designs.
I am about to design/build a mantle and paneled wall over my floor to ceiling rough cut granite stone fireplace built in 1969. It will be an early American Colonial style that might be found in a New England home around 1700-1780.
Has anyone done anything like this? Any photos or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete P.

Rob Russell
07-22-2005, 10:51 PM
Well Peter - welcome to SMC! Yu're right about it's being a great forum.

Sorry, but I haven't done anything such as you're tackling. My only comment would be to not do anything permanent so a future homeowner could remove the mantle if so desired and reveal the full granite facia. In other words, don't drill holes in the facia that would be visible if you took the mantle and paneling off.

Rob

Peter Pedisich
07-22-2005, 11:09 PM
Rob,

Thanks for the welcome and you made a good point about not messing up the stone. I'll put some thought into that.

Thanks,

Pete

Wes Bischel
07-22-2005, 11:36 PM
Hey Pete! Long time no see!
What's it been - fifteen years?

Sounds like a neat project. I have been eyeing the build out over my fireplace with a similar thought for a few years now. Naturally it is still in the "gee - that could look nice" stage. I'm sure someone here has done this and will have specific advice.

If you want shoot me a PM and we can catch-up.

Holy cow seeing your post made my day.

Wes - who could use some of that Photoshop magic himself!

Silas Smith
07-22-2005, 11:37 PM
Peter, I haven't covered up anything like what you are facing but I have built my mantle. It is really an easy project and there are several books on the market that will walk you through step-by-step. I built mine in about 15 hours, but I am extreemly slow. I built a mantle without the surrounds for a friend in about 4 hours after that so I guess I was getting faster at it. By the way, welcome and I'm sure that your lurking has taught you that this is a great group of people that we have here.

Dennis Peacock
07-23-2005, 1:54 AM
Welcome to SMC Peter!!!! Come on in, join the fun, take your shoes off and wade around in the water for a while. This is a great place to hang out with fellow woodworkers. :D

Ken Fitzgerald
07-23-2005, 10:12 AM
Welcome to the Creek Pete! As you already know it's a neat place to exchange information! I'm sure several of our members are more qualified to answer your questions and will! Again....Welcome!

Jim Becker
07-23-2005, 10:57 AM
Welcome, Peter! I look forward to your participation!!

Dan Forman
07-23-2005, 3:01 PM
Can't offer any help on your question, but welcome the SMC!

Dan

Peter Pedisich
07-23-2005, 4:52 PM
Thanks Everyone for the welcome, I hope I can help some people out in the future.
I only have 5-6 years experience woodworking, mostly stuff for my last house like stair railing/radiator covers/bookcases/changing table/etc...)

But I've been a draftsman/designer in a cabinet shop for about 15 years.

Thanks again!

-Pete

Hey Wes!,

WOW it is!:eek: I'll pm you later, great hearing from you. Still have the '54?

Pete

Wes Bischel
07-26-2005, 1:31 PM
Pete,
Sent you a PM reply.

Wes