PDA

View Full Version : One-a-day?

steven c newman
01-09-2015, 9:34 PM
Been refurbbing a few wood bodied planes lately. Seems that every one of them needed the soles to be flattened. Most had a high spot right behind the opening for the iron. Some were worn out on the edges, but not in the middle. Mainly these three got finished up today
The so-called Scioto Gang. The one in the back is an #81, then a long Jack , and then a Coffin #8

The Try was a mess on the sole, used a few planes , and a straight edge to bring it back to flat, then a test drive was done
And the jack was about the same. As for that Coffin guy
Made some Moxxon TP. I had a couple block planes to try out, and get adjusted for future use
Lets see, phillips headed bolt, strange lateral adjuster....yup, Buck Brothers. :eek:
Then a couple 9-1/2 block planes were adjusted a bit

I also had a Sargent #416 Trans that needs a flatter sole. Straight edge will act as a teeter-totter along it's length. Will have photos of that rehab later. Lots of plane action tonight, but now have a set of wood bodies ready for work.

Chris Hachet
01-09-2015, 9:40 PM
Good to see everything ready to go back to work!

Winton Applegate
01-10-2015, 8:13 PM
Most had a high spot right behind the opening for the iron

Straight edge will act as a teeter-totter

Ha, ha,
Are sure you didn't get a hold of one of my aluminum Varitas straight edges ?
Made for some interesting and long jointing sessions until I figure that out. Both were bellied just a touch. Verified with the Starrett straight edge and Starrett granite.

Nice collection of planes.
Thanks for posting them.