PDA

View Full Version : New Here from Florida

Adam Hughes
01-09-2015, 6:12 PM
Hey everyone. I live in NW Florida with my wife of almost 8 years. I work on airplanes for a living and here recently I've gotten the bug to get into woodworking. Really I just want to find something to get me in the garage and out from behind a computer.

I don't really have a lot of tools. I have a little tabletop lathe, and your typical hand tools. circular saws,drills, etc. I really look forward to getting knee deep into this and I think it will be a lot of fun. All aspects of wood working interest me so far. I'm sure I will have way more questions than I will advice as I'm a newb to woodworking.

Thank you in advance to all replies, and I'll see you in the forums!

Cheers,
Adam

Frederick Skelly
01-09-2015, 7:25 PM
Welcome Adam! This is a great site. You'll find the members friendly and knowledgable. Folks are always willing to help.

Do you have any sense yet of what kind of projects you want to start with?

Fred

Bruce Page
01-09-2015, 7:40 PM
Adam, welcome to Sawmill Creek!

Randy Red Bemont
01-09-2015, 8:05 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Red

Adam Hughes
01-09-2015, 8:14 PM
Thank you Frederick and Bruce for the welcome.

I'm designing two projects now that will get me some lathe time making gifts for my older brothers. One is a huge Star Wars fan and I'm wanting to make him a lightsaber hilt using cedar and some metal parts. The other gift for oldest brother is to make a scale version of the main gun from the M-18 Hellcat tank destroyer. I haven't decided how I'm going to do that one yet but I think I can do it with a little bit of work. I'm going to be getting me a small band saw that will really help me out instead of trying to make fine cuts with a reciprocating saw.

I was looking in the carving section and I really try my hand at that. Plus I have some things around the house that I need to make in the way of drawers and stuff. I hope to have a really busy 2015