PDA

View Full Version : Need some some info/help

Kristopher Ayers
01-09-2015, 4:31 PM
I was asked to repair a desktop for by someone I had previously done some repair work for, and based off a picture they sent me, it looked to be a hard wood desk; however, after they brought it to me, I could clearly see that it was pressboard with veneer. I appears, to me, to be Cherry. When I checked the furniture's website, it gave me obvious information and the store told me that they are not told what it is specifically made from. I have a plan for the repair, but I want to double check to pick the best match. I was sad and disappointed when I saw the box and even more so when I looked at the damage. It is from Ashley Furniture, and I was asked to repair it because this is the second desk they have received, and the second desk they received had even worse damage.

Here is the link to the desk.
http://www.ashleyfurniturehomestore.com/catalog/product.aspx?group=HomeOffice&category=HomeOfficeOfficeDesks&id=H565-45&spi=0&ref=search-t

David Ragan
01-09-2015, 5:34 PM
I have never repaired any furniture. I am responding cause I saw that 20 people looked at your post and none responded.

It is not really clear what you are asking for.

The link is a show room view of a nice looking desk....that's it.

Kristopher Ayers
01-09-2015, 7:04 PM
I was trying to figure out what type of wood it may be. I got no answers from the company.

Bill Orbine
01-09-2015, 7:16 PM
I was trying to figure out what type of wood it may be. I got no answers from the company.

Seems to be faux finish. Cheap stuff. Maybe cheap enough for you to buy your clients another desk and charge more for the "repair".:D

Brian Henderson
01-09-2015, 7:53 PM
Without seeing the desk close up and the actual damage you've been asked to fix, it's virtually impossible to give you any answers on how to proceed. Post the picture that you were sent and we'll see what we can do.

Myk Rian
01-09-2015, 9:41 PM
For that size desk, and 130 lbs weight, it must be MDF. (pressed paper)
It might look nice, but obviously the quality isn't there.
It can't be too hard to build something similar out of REAL wood.

Ray Newman
01-09-2015, 11:54 PM
Mik Rian, on a whim, I looked at the web page the OP linked. Under specifications it states-- "Primary Material: Wood Products and Other."

Myself, I would not bother with a repair. Never can tell what other damage there is. If this is the second damaged desk, maybe suggest he/she return it and obtain a refund.

Kristopher Ayers
01-10-2015, 9:50 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/webkit-fake-url://5F7D9AA0-1695-4DB9-A0E1-3AD69B5F3CDA/unknown.jpg

Kristopher Ayers
01-10-2015, 9:56 AM
I tried to post a picture, and I knew it was MDF, but I was not going to fix the damage, but rather cover it. After some deliberating, I decided to just completely remove the top and build them a new one. The top will be one of the only parts that'll be real wood. It wasn't all that difficult to do it either. Just have to remember that it is MDF and go slow.

Kristopher Ayers
01-15-2015, 5:36 PM
So, here is the update. I removed the top by using some wedges(scrap wood), a chisel, and a dead blow to remove the top. Wood was just common board from Lowes, so it was redone for about $30. Came out pretty good for going just about the cheapest way possible.