PDA

View Full Version : Forstner bits anyone?

John Miliunas
02-17-2003, 10:15 PM
So, I've got a small and larger set of the el-cheapo Forstner bits already, but just not too impressed, especially for use in composite materials. I've seen these "Titanium Coated" bits all over the place, at about 20-25% more $$. I also know there are the much rarer carbide bits, but $$ (or lack there-of) prohibit the purchase of those (or even the Multi-Spur bits at Woodcraft). Anybody use the Titanium coated ones and, if so, do you see any major difference between those and the cheapies?

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
02-17-2003, 11:42 PM
John, I have never tried the ones you mention, but I have been very pleased with the Freud bits I have used.

Dave Arbuckle
02-17-2003, 11:45 PM
I have a set of Titanium Nitride (think I got that right, TiN) Forstners. They -are- the el-cheapo ones, from China, bought at Woodcraft on sale.

Actually, larger sizes aren't bad, but the small ones are rather grim. I have been filling in the small sizes with Freuds, which I find to be great bits.

Dave

Bob Lasley
02-17-2003, 11:59 PM
John,

I've used the cheap bits and was disappointed. I've used some not so cheap bits that were ok. The best bits I've found so far are the Bormax bits that Woodcraft carries. They are expensive, but man do they cut nice and stay sharp. So far I only have one, but will add to my collection as I need different sizes.

Bob

John Miliunas
02-18-2003, 7:59 AM
Pretty much the responses I expected. I know the Freud bits are super, as are the Bormax (can you say, "Big Bucks"?). I'm pretty sure I might just go with some type of carbide. I noticed that Woodline has a 5-piece set of carbides at a decent price. May end up trying those out, as they have some of the most popular sizes in the set. Then, as mentioned by you guys, fill in as needed with Forstner or the Bormax. Thanks for your input!:D

Jim Fuller
02-18-2003, 10:13 AM
I bought a set of the cheaper ones, that had a good storage box. I have found that I only use a couple of most of the time. as these have dulled I am replacing with quality (Freud) bits. I can still use the storage box, and by buying one at a time I don't have a lot of initial outlay of $.

Ted Shrader
02-18-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Jim Fuller
I bought a set of the cheaper ones, that had a good storage box. I have found that I only use a couple of most of the time. as these have dulled I am replacing with quality (Freud) bits. I can still use the storage box, and by buying one at a time I don't have a lot of initial outlay of $.

My approack exactly! Only have one "good" one so far. The cheapies have have held up better than expected.

Ted

Rik Rickerson
02-18-2003, 1:58 PM
I have both the forstner and saw tooth HSS sets from Lee Valley and have been very pleased with the results and durability.

Rik

Howard Rosenberg
02-18-2003, 9:56 PM
situation as well.
Recently bought quite a big set from from HD.
Good but not great. Returned them.
Bought some Freuds. Better but still not great. Returned them.
Bought what I originally had wanted from Lee Valley.
NO CONTEST.
Beautiful results each time.
Almost 100% of their gear suits me perfectly and then some.
This set was pricey but still a good long-term value.
My 2C.
Howard

John Miliunas
02-18-2003, 10:38 PM
Please, don't tell me the Freud's were the carbide version, were they? If so, I'm *really* glad I refrained! It looks like the LV, HSS bits might be a real good "in between" pricewise. Have you had occasssion to use yours in composite material, such as MDF or the like? The last time I used one of my 'el cheapo's for that, it was Burn City. And no, I didn't have the DP set on some high speed. I usually run it at the lowest or second lowest speed (out of 16) all the time. Thanks for the info! :)

Howard Rosenberg
02-18-2003, 11:26 PM
bits were in 3/4" Baltic Birch. After that, exclusively in MDF. Nowhere near burn-city. There a bite, but definitely worth it. Hope this helps. Howard

John Miliunas
02-18-2003, 11:41 PM
...the feedback on this! Howard, I'm thinking you've sold me on the LV bits. I've always been pleased with purchases from them and I don't think they'd be selling junk. I might need to wait until my *next* paycheck, but LV is probably going to be getting my business on this one. Thanks again!:p

David Rose
02-19-2003, 12:06 AM
I had a couple of old forstners that did a great job. I bought a couple more in Freud brand and was impressed. I decided to go for a small set of Freud carbides. Ugh!

Some were oversize, some undersize but all were within factory spec--for woodwork! The 1/2" cuts a .508" hole. That gets kind of sloppy for pins and such. This was typical of the others. Freud rep gave the typical response of "wood moves anyway" so you don't need the tolerance. I have yet to cut a 1/2" hole that closed or opened up by .008". I get sooooo tired of that cop out. OK, so hold woodworking tools to 1 thousandth or maybe 2 instead of a couple of tenths (0.0002) as for metal working tools.

Everything I've ever bought from Lee Valley that they claimed was good *was* good.

David

D.McDonnel "Mac"
02-19-2003, 7:54 AM
Hate to sound like an echo but I have to agree on the quality of everything I have gotten from LV. The Forstner and Brad Points in hte HSS have performed great! And yes I too tried the el-cheapo route first, no comparison.

Mac

Ron Jones near Indy
02-19-2003, 9:05 PM
I have never been disappointed in anything pruchased from Lee Valley.

J.R. Rutter
02-19-2003, 11:25 PM
I've got a set of cheap saw tooth forstners from Grizzly that do a pretty fair job, especially the bigger sizes. They drill clean holes that are close enough to size for what I do with them (never measuered).

What I don't like is that the smaller sizes clog up with shavings instantly - not enough clearance. I used a Dremel and the bench grinder to clean them up and resharpen them

I have a few Forest City (US made) HSS bits for more critical work, and they are very nice - no clogs, cleaner and sharper than the Chinese.

Just thought we could clarify the differences for posterity...

-JR