PDA

View Full Version : New dining table

Gene Davis
01-09-2015, 10:41 AM
Matches the Stickley "Highlands" and is done in cherry. Sealed with a 1:7 Elmers to water anti-blotch, then dyed red-brown, and wiped with one coat of GF SealACell and seven coats of ArmRSeal satin. Chairs by Stickley.

My Sketchup model of it is up on the 3D Warehouse, if you care to inspect details.

All joinery done using my new (used) Domino and sanding done with my new (used) RO125 sander. Two leaves extend the 44x78 top to 114, and they store in the space under the top when closed.

Kent A Bathurst
01-09-2015, 11:57 AM
Looks excellent.

Help me out - what am I looking at in the last photo?

I understand the solid surface must be to hold the leaves. What I don't get is the frame - and how the slides and top all get in the mix?

Never done a table with leaves, so I'm reasonably ignorant on the topic.

Thanks

Gene Davis
01-09-2015, 1:19 PM
What you see is the frame atop the trestle, the slide boost strips being glued on, and one of the equalizer slides. The center strip of each slide screws thru boost into frame. The outside elements of the slides screw to the undersides of the 44x39 tops.

The shallow box below got lined in green felt. There is space there for the pair of leaves to store, nested.

James White
01-09-2015, 2:01 PM
Gene,

Nice work! Could you provide a link to your sketchup model. I searched for your name on 3D Warehouse with no results.

James

Bruce Page
01-09-2015, 2:37 PM
That is a beautiful table. I love all the Stickley details and the finish looks great.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-09-2015, 2:48 PM
What a beautiful table! Well done Sir!

Kent A Bathurst
01-09-2015, 3:42 PM
What you see is the frame atop the trestle, the slide boost strips being glued on, and one of the equalizer slides. The center strip of each slide screws thru boost into frame. The outside elements of the slides screw to the undersides of the 44x39 tops.

The shallow box below got lined in green felt. There is space there for the pair of leaves to store, nested.

Gene - thnx.

Now I get it. I can see in photo 5 where the frame is below the box - that box houses the slides.

And there you go - I understand.

Thanks for the tuturial.

I wonder - is that a modern interpretation of an antique design? I don't remember anything quite like those cutout sides from the way-back. However, it is very remiscent of Limbert's standard design queues from that era - maybe even a bit of Frank L. thrown in to boot.

Regardless - design great; execution excellent. How 'bout the chairs - that your work as well?

EDIT: I just picked up on a key - classic - bit from your post: This project was the "plausible excuse" to start stacking up the Green Kool-Aid gear. Nicely done, Sir. Nicely, indeed. ;)

Marty Gulseth
01-09-2015, 4:42 PM
Awesome - kudos!

Regards,

Marty

Randy Red Bemont
01-09-2015, 8:07 PM
Beautiful table and great details. Nice job.

Red

Jim Becker
01-09-2015, 8:48 PM
Love it!!!!

Gordon Eyre
01-10-2015, 1:41 PM
Beautiful and sturdy table. Well done.

Jim Matthews
01-10-2015, 3:13 PM
I like the subtle flair in the legs.

I believe the Romans did the same in shaping marble columns.
The suggesting of a musculature supporting the load, I suppose.

Entasis, if I recall...

Curtis Myers
01-10-2015, 10:52 PM
Wow. Very nice.

Dennis Hawkins
01-11-2015, 7:35 PM
Beautiful design.

Joseph Valsi
01-12-2015, 10:15 AM
Great design, and good job of craftsmanship !

ron david
01-15-2015, 6:15 PM

how is the clearance for knees under that lower section. unless it is a relatively high table it does look like a kneeknocker. my only concern on which appears to be a nice table
ron

Jerry Olexa
01-20-2015, 3:40 PM
Excellent work!!! You should be proud...Well done...

Bill Littler
01-22-2015, 1:32 PM
What a great piece. I showed your table to my wife.....added another project to my list. :D

Barry Block
01-27-2015, 8:35 PM
Nice table! May I ask how you applied applied the armor seal.

Gene Davis
01-27-2015, 9:52 PM
All finishes were wiped on.

John TenEyck
01-27-2015, 10:16 PM
Wow, that is stunning. Question. How did you apply the 1:7 Elmers? I'd really like to know the whole process you used, if you don't mind telling us. Thanks in advance.

John

Joseph Valsi
01-30-2015, 9:10 AM
I really like that table ! the end parts are extremely nice ! WOW !