PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on RECI power supply versus Shenhui power supply?

John Noell
01-08-2015, 9:43 PM
I can buy a RECI power supply which has its own display and reportedly includes some diagnostics for $330. Or, I can buy a Shenhui power supply for $190. Any one know which way makes the most sense? (RECI has agreed to replace the tube I got a few months ago with free shipping!)

Dave Sheldrake
01-09-2015, 12:02 PM
RECI every time

John Noell
01-10-2015, 11:27 AM
Thanks Dave. I will take your advice. Can you tell me what you see to the advantages?

Dave Sheldrake
01-10-2015, 12:35 PM
They are a lot more stable John, the DY series actively monitor the current and wave form to ensure you get the most stable beam and profile. The cheap PSU's just fire a current at the tube and don't monitor anything, the RECI units will make adjustments on the fly as well, I've been using RECI and EFR supplies for years and never had a PSU go down (one of the EFR units has 8 years on it and still produces the same current it did on day 1)
Current creep on the cheap PSU's can cause problems as well, they can vary so much you end up not having a stable base line to go from :)

cheers

Dave

David Somers
01-10-2015, 2:14 PM
Good Morning Dave!

So.....My laser, which is enjoying an extended vacation on a container ship out in Elliot Bay during our protracted dock workers slowdown has an EFR tube in it. It didn't occur to me to ask what PSU they were providing. If I find it is an off brand would it be worth just swapping it out for an EFR PSU before I even get started? Or should I let sleeping tubes lie until it actually needs replacement?

Thanks!

Dave

Dave Sheldrake
01-10-2015, 3:04 PM
It's likely to be an EFR supply Dave, they run a lot cooler mostly due to the 4 cooling fans on them..overall they are huge well made pieces that dwarf the normal Chinese junker supplies.

cheers

Dave

David Somers
01-10-2015, 4:41 PM
Thanks Dave!!! Will check it carefully when it arrives someday. <grin> I was watching the container ship through binocs the other day and would have sworn I saw a laser engraver out on the Lido deck sunning itself with an umbrella drink in hand while it waited for dock workers to decide to move stuff again. (grin)

If it is a "junker chinese supply" would it be worth swapping out right away? Or just live with it?

John Noell
01-10-2015, 9:34 PM
Hey Dave (Somers)! Are you trying to hijack this thread?!?!? And why are you leaving your poor laser and CNC out there by themelves? Now that you're retired are you just hanging out by the pool? :) :)

Dave Sheldrake
01-10-2015, 10:06 PM
If it is a "junker chinese supply" would it be worth swapping out right away? Or just live with it?

Depends what you are doing with it brother, for the first few weeks of just getting used to stuff there won't be much benefit to the better supply, once you get into the swing of things though every little bit you can get is useful so that's the time to look at a more stable supply maybe. Chinese machines can be tweaked and played with to get great results, no point spending hard $$$ to start with though until you need to ;)

David Somers
01-11-2015, 9:44 PM
Thanks Dave! Just checking to be sure that there wasn't a benefit in terms of the tubes long term health or something. I suspect they used an EFR PSU, but never thought to actually specify that so am not sure. Will see! In the meantime....will let sleeping PSU's lie! Thanks!

Hey Mr Noell!

Have you ever known me not to kibitz in a thread? <grin> Just a chatty person in general. But this did seem to be an extension of topic, kind of sort of......<grin>
My ship came in! Just not to dock though! The containers are piling up inexorably in the dock yards and a number of ships with foreign registry out in Elliot Bay seem like they have been there long enough to require at least tourist visa's for their crews, if not applications for green cards. Been an interesting work action, and lasting a fair amount of time too. Oh well. At least my laser will be well rested by the time it finally arrives. In the meantime, I will just have to sit here on the beach sunning myself in our gorgeous Seattle January weather!! Eat your tropical heart out! <grin>

Dave

John Noell
01-12-2015, 11:45 AM
Hey Dave (Somers), how long did your gorgeous 'January in Seattle' last, five minutes? All I remember is gray (and wet). :) Well, there was that snow (COLD!!!) in February. Once you finally get your machines I can only hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine. The Shen is a sweetheart. Yes, more quirks than my Epilog but getting more power for a LOT less money makes the quirks easier to live with.

David Somers
01-12-2015, 1:41 PM
Oh John, you cynic! I was just outside getting todays ripe bananas off the banana plant in the yard, along with a couple of lovely pineapples from the garden beds, and some hibiscus blooms for the vases in the house. I need to run out for some more SPF 70 sunscreen though or I won't have enough to get me through the week. And a few more tropical weight shirts and shorts for casual wear around the City. Seattle in January is a heavenly place. <grin>

Seriously....pretty mild this winter! I did see a few snow flurries once, but only once. Normal rain. Temps in the mid 40's mostly. Pretty mild. For a heat wimp like me this is heaven!!

Really looking forward to the laser and CNC showing up someday. Hopefully the dock workers can reach a resolution soon. Lots of businesses are hurting from this work slowdown. Want any Christmas Trees? I know where there are a bunch of containers full just waiting to be delivered!

Dave

Mike Audleman
01-12-2015, 2:55 PM
Would there be any benefit to me changing a working PSU on my ebay laser for an RECI PSU unit? I mean if it extends tube life or other visible advantage in terms of output, cutting or engraving, would it be worth it?

Dave Sheldrake
01-12-2015, 3:16 PM
Not really Mike , there is also the issue of the DY supplies starting at 80 watt so unlikely you will be able to get one

cheers

Dave