PDA

View Full Version : Dial indicator fixture for jointer

David Falkner
01-08-2015, 8:31 PM
This isn't much of a creation but it works well so I thought I would post some photos. I needed something to set the knives on my jointer and came up with this out of a small piece of Cherry and some small Honduras Mahogany wedges (I don't have scraps in my shop, only pieces for smaller and smaller projects) -

These are just simple magnets from Lowe's. I couldn't use Rare Earth or I wouldn't be able to move this at all. As it is the Mahogany wedges keep the fixture a few thousandths proud of the surface and it slides with just enough effort that it doesn't move until I want it moved. Plus, I didn't want to scratch the beds with the magnets.

Bruce Page
01-08-2015, 10:04 PM
Nicely done!

John McClanahan
01-11-2015, 12:56 PM
I don't see any problems with this design. The indicator gets zeroed before use, so any wood expansion or contraction gets zeroed out, too.

John

Victor Stearns
01-17-2015, 10:07 AM
I like it, very nice.

Zach Duran
03-18-2015, 10:25 AM
and i was just going to plop down $90 on a Oneway multi gage!! Pssshhhh. not anymore. very well done and great idea.

David Masury
03-19-2015, 8:04 AM
Very nicely done, I use a Oneway dial indicator stand for the same purpose and it sure cost a lot more than your home made one.

Fitzhugh Freeman
03-25-2015, 1:48 AM
Very nice and we'll thought out. Small projects are important to share as well, not just the big ones.

MARK DEFILIPPO
03-25-2015, 11:53 AM
For future reference: you can set neodymium magnets into a jig so that they do not touch the surface yet they will still pull the into the metal. This link will help you to determine the depth vs pull force.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/calculator.asp

Malcolm Schweizer
03-25-2015, 12:38 PM
For future reference: you can set neodymium magnets into a jig so that they do not touch the surface yet they will still pull the into the metal. This link will help you to determine the depth vs pull force.

Thanks for sharing that!

Also David, that is a very nice, well-done tool. I hope more people will post ideas like this.

James Combs
03-25-2015, 3:01 PM
This isn't much of a creation but it works well so I thought I would post some photos. I needed something to set the knives on my jointer and came up with this out of a small piece of Cherry and some small Honduras Mahogany wedges (I don't have scraps in my shop, only pieces for smaller and smaller projects) -

These are just simple magnets from Lowe's. I couldn't use Rare Earth or I wouldn't be able to move this at all. As it is the Mahogany wedges keep the fixture a few thousandths proud of the surface and it slides with just enough effort that it doesn't move until I want it moved. Plus, I didn't want to scratch the beds with the magnets.

Love it and a +1 on no scrap in the shop.:cool:

Bill Adamsen
03-27-2015, 10:24 AM
This link will help you to determine the depth vs pull force.

Mark, that's a fantastic resource, thanks for sharing.

David, love the jig and will build today for some testing. I replaced the knives on my jointer recently - they're a Tersa type (Leica) - but somehow things aren't quite right. I need to resolve the issue, and this jig will help.