PDA

View Full Version : My new laser is almost here......

Michele Welch
01-08-2015, 5:53 PM
Hi y'all! In mid-December Santa brought me an early gift of a brand new Rabbit Laser. It is being packed and shipped next week and then Ray will be here in beautiful North Carolina on the 20th for setup and training. I'm so excited!!!! I currently have a Full Spectrum 5th gen 12x20 machine (don't laugh) and it's actually been a good machine. So I'm not completely green when it comes to the laser although I'm afraid that my learning curve is going to be pretty large between the machine and the software.

What I'm wondering is this... are there questions that y'all can send my way to make sure I ask Ray when he's here? Any quirks or problems with the machine that I need to be aware of at the get-go so I can ask the solution up front? I'm a pretty bright gal, but this is kind of overwhelming and I just want to make the most of the time that I have with Ray here in my neck of the woods.

Thankfully, I'll have my new machine for about a month before my husband gets his plasma cutter delivered :) Then my machine will be lonely for a while to get him up and going!

Thanks in advance for the help! Have a great day and stay warm!!!!

Dennis Rech
01-08-2015, 7:16 PM
Michele,

It would be much appreciated to get a report on the differences between the FSE software and the Rabbit software.
I have never come across a full report on the standard Chinese software. How much learning curve, whether it is easier to use, harder to use, has more features, has less features, 10% better?, 50% better?
How conveniently does the Rabbit work with software other than Corel and AutoCad?

Also, a report on the differences in speed between the units.
The Rabbit has twice the advertised power. does it cut twice as fast, or many times faster?
How about comparing noise levels and convenience issues.

I and a half dozen FSE acquaintances have all had similar FSE experiences to yours (Its actually been a good machine), but would now like a much larger more powerful machine.
However, we all dread getting rid of the FSE print driver and perhaps having to endure Corel in lieu of working with any program that prints.
Perhaps it is imaginary and the supplied software works just fine, but we do look forward to your shared experiences.

Thanks in advance,
Dennis

Bert Kemp
01-08-2015, 8:33 PM
Well the learning curve from fsl to lasercut 5.3 was really pretty easy. That was my big worry when I got my Rabbit was how long before I could really do stuff. I was cutting and engraving pretty much as soon as I started using it. Sure there are differences but you figure them out pretty quick. If you design in corel you just save that design as a dxf open laser cut import the dxf and your good. I imagine any program that can save as a dxf you can import into laser cut. Like any laser I don't care which one you have or what software your running you'll never know it all. But hey we have this forum to help us most the time and if that don't work well as we saw this past weekend we Rabbit owners can email or call Ray Scott and he'll get us going again. Your going to find that the build quality of the rabbit is way superior to FSL, you'll find it much easier to maintain, clean and change len's, clean mirrors and all that stuff is easier .
No more flimsy rails for the x and y and a motorized z with 9 inchs is amazing. I got the 6040 with 60 watt upgrade and it cuts much better then the 40 watt. The pass thru doors give me unlimited length options. So don't frett the learning curve If I can do it anybody can.

Michele,

It would be much appreciated to get a report on the differences between the FSE software and the Rabbit software.
I have never come across a full report on the standard Chinese software. How much learning curve, whether it is easier to use, harder to use, has more features, has less features, 10% better?, 50% better?
How conveniently does the Rabbit work with software other than Corel and AutoCad?

Also, a report on the differences in speed between the units.
The Rabbit has twice the advertised power. does it cut twice as fast, or many times faster?
How about comparing noise levels and convenience issues.

I and a half dozen FSE acquaintances have all had similar FSE experiences to yours (Its actually been a good machine), but would now like a much larger more powerful machine.
However, we all dread getting rid of the FSE print driver and perhaps having to endure Corel in lieu of working with any program that prints.
Perhaps it is imaginary and the supplied software works just fine, but we do look forward to your shared experiences.

Thanks in advance,
Dennis

Bert Kemp
01-08-2015, 8:37 PM
I really can't think of anything in particular for you to ask Ray, Is your machine going to have lasercut 5.3? Pretty sure Ray will cover everything your going to have to know to get you running the same day he's there.

Hi y'all! In mid-December Santa brought me an early gift of a brand new Rabbit Laser. It is being packed and shipped next week and then Ray will be here in beautiful North Carolina on the 20th for setup and training. I'm so excited!!!! I currently have a Full Spectrum 5th gen 12x20 machine (don't laugh) and it's actually been a good machine. So I'm not completely green when it comes to the laser although I'm afraid that my learning curve is going to be pretty large between the machine and the software.

What I'm wondering is this... are there questions that y'all can send my way to make sure I ask Ray when he's here? Any quirks or problems with the machine that I need to be aware of at the get-go so I can ask the solution up front? I'm a pretty bright gal, but this is kind of overwhelming and I just want to make the most of the time that I have with Ray here in my neck of the woods.

Thankfully, I'll have my new machine for about a month before my husband gets his plasma cutter delivered :) Then my machine will be lonely for a while to get him up and going!

Thanks in advance for the help! Have a great day and stay warm!!!!

Jed Lawrie
01-15-2015, 7:59 PM
I can only think of the obvious that first time user would ask. Things like maintenance schedule, materials to avoid, and maybe max speeds for cutting or engraving

Michele Welch
01-15-2015, 10:37 PM
Thank y'all so much for your replies. Being that I've been using a laser for well over a year now I know some of the obvious to ask. I think my biggest learning curve will be the software. Although I'm pretty savvy with software in general so I'm hoping that's an advantage for me. I am getting all my materials together, especially those that I can't get to cut or engrave on my current machine. Looking forward to being able to cut thicker materials also. Now it's just getting the machine delivered and in the house! With all the stinkin' rain we've had our side driveway is a muddy clay mess, so we'll have to resort to buying plywood and unloading at the road and wheelin' it in across the boards. Fun Fun!

I hope to have some awesome samples from my new machine sometime next week or the following. I'm headed out of town for my niece's 16th birthday just a few days after I train with Ray and will be gone several days which I'm excited about seeing her and my family but boy I just really want to be locked in the basement having fun with my new toy!!! :)

Thanks again and I can't say thank you enough for all the help this forum has been over the last year. It is comforting to know that if I have a problem I can post it here and it will most likely be answered within just a short while. Y'all are a blessing and an added benefit to laser owners everywhere!!

Michele Welch
01-21-2015, 10:18 AM
Well, my new laser is here, unloaded, in the house and up and running! And I couldn't be happier!!! This thing is a beast! Ray was with me most of the day yesterday and set everything up and trained me on the machine and software. I haven't had too much time to get deep into the software, but my apprehension with the software vanished within the first 5 minutes of working with it. Yes, it doesn't have the print driver like my FS laser did, but that really isn't that big of a deal. It's a few extra steps to get the design to the machine, but it's worth those few steps to have a machine that slices through materials that have me half gray headed trying to cut or engrave with my other laser. I have a lot of learning to do and I feel like I've just scratched the surface of what a laser can actually do and with the new one ready to go my mind is racing with possibilities.

I will give a more in detail review after a few weeks and answer any questions I can. I will be looking to sell my FS laser, so if you know anyone interested, it's a 5th gen hobby laser. It will be a week or so until I'm ready, but it's a great machine and just about 14 months old.

I have to say that Ray was a trooper yesterday through all the setup and training. He was feeling horrible and had such a bad cough and I could tell wasn't feeling well at all and he powered through and made it through the day. I can't thank him enough for everything he did yesterday and wish him safe travels and get better soon on the next leg of his travels.

Here's a few pics of the new beast in place next to my 1st laser.

Scott Shepherd
01-21-2015, 10:35 AM
2 lasers and a flat screen in the same room! If there's a fridge, microwave, and bathroom behind you, you have no need to leave the room :)

Michele Welch
01-21-2015, 10:44 AM
Well Scott, there is a full kitchen, full bathroom, 9' movie theater with theater seating and a pool table in the same area, so no, I really don't have any need to leave the room!!! The hubs and my puppies are the only additions and I'm good!

2 lasers and a flat screen in the same room! If there's a fridge, microwave, and bathroom behind you, you have no need to leave the room :)

Bert Kemp
01-21-2015, 1:22 PM
Whats your address I'm coming for a visit:) Want to watch the Pats annihilate the Seahawks.:D on that big screen, I'll bring the popcorn. Michele, oh Michele you can't disown me , were fellow Rabbit owners and former you know what owners.;)

David Somers
01-21-2015, 3:01 PM
Hey Bert! I think Ray is taking back all the Rabbits belonging to Patriots Fans!!! He will try to screen prospective owners better in the future!

Go Hawks!! Beast Mode!!! Woooohoooooooooo! <grin>

Anxious to hear about your adventures Michele!! Keep us up to date with your progress and fun ideas you come up with!
I never thought about incorporating a 48inch laser as a piece of furniture? It is a great idea! Have you thought of developing doily patterns to be cut on the laser? You could put that on top when you have company over!

Go Hawks!!! Nice to see another Hawks fan out there Michele!!!! <Grin>

Dave

Mark Sipes
01-21-2015, 3:29 PM
When you have a QB (#3), Kicker (#4) and Guard (#64) who Played for NC State (Go WolfPack!) you are vested in the winning Team. Go Hawks!

You can't go wrong with a Trotec. Enjoy!

Scott Shepherd
01-21-2015, 3:51 PM
You can't go wrong with a Trotec. Enjoy!

Except that's a Rabbit, not a Trotec ;)

Michele Welch
01-21-2015, 5:06 PM
You're welcome anytime you're in North Carolina Bert! And personally I think the Pats should have been disqualified from the Super Bowl with the deflated ball scandal - AGAIN!!! Big deal so they take a draft away. They ain't gonna cry over that and it won't stop them in the future from doing it again. I would be happy to watch the Seahawks annihilate the Pats and I will have plenty of popcorn along with wings, chips, dips, etc. Come on down!!!

And no, we Rabbit owners have to stick together like a family, I couldn't disown you because you just don' know any better than to root for the Pats. Bless your heart!!!

Whats your address I'm coming for a visit:) Want to watch the Pats annihilate the Seahawks.:D on that big screen, I'll bring the popcorn. Michele, oh Michele you can't disown me , were fellow Rabbit owners and former you know what owners.;)

Michele Welch
01-21-2015, 5:09 PM
David, unfortunately I'm only a Seahawks fan by default. I'm actually a Cowboys and Buccaneers fan and we all know how those turned out. I'm rooting for the Hawks mainly because of Russell Wilson and his amazing testimony and on fire heart for God. He's done great things behind the scenes with a lot of those players and that deserves props! So I'm rooting with you on this one!!!

I'll keep you up to date on my adventures with this beast and let you know how it goes. So far, so good and I'm fixin' to do some engraving right now.

Have a good one!!!

Hey Bert! I think Ray is taking back all the Rabbits belonging to Patriots Fans!!! He will try to screen prospective owners better in the future!

Go Hawks!! Beast Mode!!! Woooohoooooooooo! <grin>

Anxious to hear about your adventures Michele!! Keep us up to date with your progress and fun ideas you come up with!
I never thought about incorporating a 48inch laser as a piece of furniture? It is a great idea! Have you thought of developing doily patterns to be cut on the laser? You could put that on top when you have company over!

Go Hawks!!! Nice to see another Hawks fan out there Michele!!!! <Grin>

Dave

Scott Marquez
02-09-2015, 2:05 AM
Bringing this one to the top, hopefully Michele has an update for us.
I am currently in the market for a laser and am looking very closely at the RL 80 1290 to cut fabric with, along with all of the new possibilities.
scott

Michele Welch
02-09-2015, 10:38 AM
Hey Scott,

Thanks for bringing this to the top! I've been meaning to reply back, so here it goes! I LOVE MY NEW MACHINE!!!!! I am just amazed at how much this machine will do. I was able to cut material with my old machine, but the new machine really takes the ease of use to the next level. I do quite a bit of quilting and I was able to digitize some of my patterns and cut the material. Everything was accurate and fit together perfectly.

I was also able to engrave and cut leather really well along with the typical acrylic and wood! The software and design has taken some getting used to but that's only because it's a bit different in the way I created for my last machine.

Not to mention, the service that you receive from Ray and Carol at Rabbit Laser is second to none! Ray was feeling so poorly when he was at the house for setup and training, but he pushed through and acted the true professional. And since the setup I've had to email or call for different questions and they are always so gracious and non-judgemental for even the dumbest of questions.

All in all I could not have made this decision and purchase without the help of this community of people and I am so grateful and thankful for that. I can't see myself ever going with a different machine and I look forward to many, many years of fun and prosperity with my new Rabbit Laser Machine!!!

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me or email me!!

Bert Kemp
02-09-2015, 11:41 AM
I'm curious too Michele a while back you asked a bunch of questions about leather where any of the replies helpful, did you find out what you wanted to know?

Hey Scott,

Thanks for bringing this to the top! I've been meaning to reply back, so here it goes! I LOVE MY NEW MACHINE!!!!! I am just amazed at how much this machine will do. I was able to cut material with my old machine, but the new machine really takes the ease of use to the next level. I do quite a bit of quilting and I was able to digitize some of my patterns and cut the material. Everything was accurate and fit together perfectly.

I was also able to engrave and cut leather really well along with the typical acrylic and wood! The software and design has taken some getting used to but that's only because it's a bit different in the way I created for my last machine.

Not to mention, the service that you receive from Ray and Carol at Rabbit Laser is second to none! Ray was feeling so poorly when he was at the house for setup and training, but he pushed through and acted the true professional. And since the setup I've had to email or call for different questions and they are always so gracious and non-judgemental for even the dumbest of questions.

All in all I could not have made this decision and purchase without the help of this community of people and I am so grateful and thankful for that. I can't see myself ever going with a different machine and I look forward to many, many years of fun and prosperity with my new Rabbit Laser Machine!!!

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me or email me!!

Michele Welch
02-09-2015, 11:59 AM
Hey Bert,

I'm still working on the fine points of working with leather, but so far it's going pretty good. I'm just a total leather newbie. Trying to figure out what I need to buy to do what I want to do is overwhelming. Thickness, temper (really, temper, I'm of cuban/spanish heritage, so hot headed/blooded, if that helps ??) It's just a lot to learn and I couldn't do it without all the help of this community of users!

As soon as I get something worth posting, I will gladly do so!! Thanks for asking!

Michele

Scott Marquez
02-10-2015, 2:43 AM
Michele,
I sent you a PM.
I sent some samples off to Rabbit laser last week, they have been a pleasure to work with, and I really look forward to purchasing my first laser through them.
Scott