PDA

View Full Version : Restoration - Delta DJ-15 Jointer

David Falkner
01-08-2015, 4:47 PM
Having just finished posting about my PM 66 restoration - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?225722-Restoration-Powermatic-66 - and being asked about the jointer, I thought I would post a few shots of that process. This won't be NEAR as lengthy as the table saw, I assure you! :)

Just for those who may not have seen the table saw restoration, I loaned my saw and jointer to a friend who years later left them in an old building with a leaking roof. Here's a shot of bringing them home -

And with a generous coating of WD-40 -

After some elbow grease and wet/dry papers -

After several evenings and a weekend or two, both beds and fence cleaned -

Here's what the cutterhead looked like -

And this is how I cleaned it -

David Falkner
01-08-2015, 4:56 PM
I then took the cutterhead out so I could change the bearings -

Here's the finished jointer, all cleaned up and shiny! Well, except for the cabinet. I chose not to repaint and the polish that is slung on it didn't come off easily so I just left it.

It didn't run as smoothly as I wanted when I put it back together so I installed a link belt and a balanced cast iron pulley.

Here's a video of it running - note the nickel on the outfeed table

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-nxrDFgqbc

I used it for a while then found a PM 54A on CL and bought that, so this Delta is for sale now.

Thanks for reading. See this post was short and finished in a few minutes, not a week like the table saw. :D
David

Connor Schmidt
09-07-2016, 5:35 PM
Hey David,

I just picked up this jointer. Thanks for sharing your experience, it has been very helpful to me! Question: did you just go at the tables with hand power alone or did you use an orbital sander? What grit did you use? Thanks again!

Sid Matheny
09-07-2016, 6:34 PM
I loaned my saw and jointer to a friend who years later left them in an old building with a leaking roof.

Great job on both! I would guess that is an ex-friend. :mad:

daryl moses
09-07-2016, 6:46 PM
Wow!! Excellent job on the clean up.

I would be a little more than mad if those were my tools

Matt Day
09-07-2016, 8:26 PM
Nice job indeed getting it functional again. Nice cutter head cleaning method too!

I'm just confused why the original post was on 1/8/15 and it had no replies?