PDA

View Full Version : Who knows the answer to the second post phenomenon?

Tony Zona
01-08-2015, 3:48 PM
I have used several forums over the years and have noticed a phenomenon that I cannot explain. It's not universal, but it seems quite common. Why is it that so many times the first poster after the original poster's question doesn't know the answer yet still posts? Many times the second post is verbose and wandering, yet the poster still doesn't know the answer. Why do they post if they don't know the answer? (Can't wait to see the second post here. :) )

Bruce Page
01-08-2015, 3:54 PM
I don't know how to answer that...:confused::rolleyes:

Sean Troy
01-08-2015, 3:55 PM
I don't know but I wish it would snow with it being so cold outside........ ;)

Tony Zona
01-08-2015, 3:57 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/eek.gif http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Kevin Bourque
01-08-2015, 4:33 PM
I don't know but i'm really enjoying these M&Ms. Peanut, not plain.

Wade Lippman
01-08-2015, 4:51 PM
I love the store websites that allow you to ask questions. In response to a question like "how long does the battery last" there will invariably be replies like "I haven't used it yet, so I can't answer your question".

My theory is that the people think they are so important that they are doing the questioner a favor by acknowledging the question, even if they can't answer.

Sam Murdoch
01-08-2015, 5:15 PM
:rolleyes: :D :cool: We 3 agree!

Jim Koepke
01-08-2015, 5:33 PM
I really don't have an answer, just a theory.

Sometimes a post gets near the bottom of the page.

Some may answer the OP just to bump it back to the top.

jtk

Frederick Skelly
01-08-2015, 7:21 PM
Could it sometimes be a well intended attempt to be polite? No, really. We occasionally get posts to which NOBODY responds. Maybe its a question weve answered 20 times before. Maybe its a really dumb question, a hard question, or its tone just rubbed the readers wrong. So somebody chimes in just to say ' hey guy, you arent being ignored'.

OTOH, it could just be the responder is looking for some attention. :)

Myk Rian
01-08-2015, 8:25 PM
Doesn't matter if it's not helpful. Some people just need to be seen, as it were.
It happens on forums all over the net. Ticks me off.

Stephen Tashiro
01-09-2015, 1:18 AM
I have used several forums over the years and have noticed a phenomenon that I cannot explain. It's not universal, but it seems quite common.)

Usually when you set the first post you are all excited about the job, but by the time you get to the second one you are probably worn out. That's why the second post is often slightly crooked - except I've never noticed this myself.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-09-2015, 8:19 AM
Lol, I've never noticed this phenomenon, but after observing a few threads, I think OP is on to something. Interesting!

Rich Engelhardt
01-09-2015, 8:41 AM
I would have been perfectly happy living my entire life w/out reading the "toilet" thread...
OTOH - had I not read it, I wouldn't know exactly why to avoid some European countries...

Greg Peterson
01-09-2015, 4:08 PM
I like cake.

John Coloccia
01-09-2015, 4:19 PM
The cake is a lie.

Harold Burrell
01-09-2015, 5:52 PM
The cake is a lie.

It is made from soylent green.

Leigh Betsch
01-10-2015, 9:46 AM
The smart people are at work......

alan tasoff
01-10-2015, 11:00 AM
Here are a couple of other questions, having nothing to do with 1st post/second post phenomenon, but a riddle, nonetheless. I have a Bosch ROS65VC sander that needs an external fan assembly. After calling three different Bosch numbers, no one can tell me how to remove the damaged part. Yet, the parts are for sale , for purchase by the consumer, and certainly not beyond the ability of most handymen to fix. It is not the space shuttle. So I have this sander that is now a ten pound paperweight, in pieces. A new one costs $ 211, and the repair with labor + shipping would be more than the thing is worth, but if I could get the damaged part off, it would be doable. So why advertise parts to the public if they can't tell you the simplest thing over the phone on how to install them ?

Jim Koepke
01-10-2015, 2:11 PM
Here are a couple of other questions, having nothing to do with 1st post/second post phenomenon, but a riddle, nonetheless. I have a Bosch ROS65VC sander that needs an external fan assembly. After calling three different Bosch numbers, no one can tell me how to remove the damaged part. Yet, the parts are for sale , for purchase by the consumer, and certainly not beyond the ability of most handymen to fix. It is not the space shuttle. So I have this sander that is now a ten pound paperweight, in pieces. A new one costs $ 211, and the repair with labor + shipping would be more than the thing is worth, but if I could get the damaged part off, it would be doable. So why advertise parts to the public if they can't tell you the simplest thing over the phone on how to install them ?

You would likely get a better answer to this by starting a new thread.

Many of the people who answer the phones only know what is on the screen in front of them. The may not even be in the same state our country as the person who may be able to answer your question.

Don't forget the pictures.

Lornie McCullough
01-10-2015, 3:48 PM
The cake is a lie.

I may be old, but I still enjoy the internet memes.

John....... I laughed. Thank you.

Lornie