PDA

View Full Version : Does DowelMax require 3/4" thick wood

dirk martin
01-08-2015, 1:43 PM
I just got a DowlMax, and and trying to figure it out.
I've got some 1" thick maple, as well as some 7/8" thick maple.

The dowlmax never seems to be lined up dead-center, on the edge.
Is that to be expected, if I'm not using 3/4" thick stock?

glenn bradley
01-08-2015, 1:55 PM
IIRC, the dowel guide position is fixed (but, changeable with spacers) as opposed to being on a slide like the recently deceased Mortise Pal. Do you have the spacers?

dirk martin
01-08-2015, 2:01 PM
Yes, it comes with 2 spaces.
1 is 3/8" thick, and the other even thicker.
When I set my Dowlmax on the edge of my board, I'm about 1/4", or maybe 1/8" off center.
Am I expected to use simple washers, as my spacers to perform a fine adjustment like that?

Jack Lemley
01-08-2015, 2:01 PM
Dirk,

I have the dowlmax and it took a bit to get the way it works figured out in my mind. The location of the dowel (assuming no shims are used) is determined by the fixed face of the dowel max so if you use 1/2" stock or larger than 1" stock the dowel will not be centered on the edge of the board. As the board gets wider the dowel hole will get farther away from the non-referenced face of the dowelmax. It doesn't matter if the hole is centered if you use the dowel max per the instructions.

Jack

I just got a DowlMax, and and trying to figure it out.
I've got some 1" thick maple, as well as some 7/8" thick maple.

The dowlmax never seems to be lined up dead-center, on the edge.
Is that to be expected, if I'm not using 3/4" thick stock?

Bill Huber
01-08-2015, 2:02 PM
The holes do not have to be dead center, that is the thing about the DowelMax and the Jessem jigs.

As long as you use the same reference face the holes will line up just fine. You can use spacers to get the hole closer to center but again as long as you use the same reference face the hole will line up fine.

It is kind of a strange thing to get in your head but once you do then things go a lot better.

Earl McLain
01-08-2015, 2:07 PM
Being a little off center might actually benefit me--i've put the wrong side up a few times. Usually notice it about 20 minutes after clamping. :(

earl

Bill Huber
01-08-2015, 5:07 PM
Being a little off center might actually benefit me--i've put the wrong side up a few times. Usually notice it about 20 minutes after clamping. :(

earl

I have been using the DowelMax and then the Jessem for over 5 years and I still mark the face every time so I don't screw up.