PDA

View Full Version : getting organized

bridger berdel
01-08-2015, 3:01 AM
Anarchist’s Tool chests. Tool rolls. Boxes. Fitted cases. Open shelves. Fitted cabinets. Milk crates. The original cardboard box it came in. Pegboard. Chests of drawers. Just left where you used it last. Piled up in the corner…. There must be at least as many ways to deal with organizing tools as there are people using tools. For me there have to be different strategies for different situations. I use almost all of the above. Some are used inside of others, and some of those are inside yet others…

I really like tools. I like them for what they do for me, as representations of an idea or an intention, as historical objects, even as things of beauty in their own right. I like finding and rehabbing antiques and returning them to work, I like designing and making them, I like analyzing and troubleshooting them. I like organizing them.

They get grouped by various kinds of logic. By trade, say electrical work. By function, say knives. By association, where glue and clamps need to be near each other. Sometimes by size- I have a cabinet with lots of flat drawers for small tools that don’t leave the shop. A long toolbox for wrenches and prybars and such too big to fit in the other places those things live
When a box gets too full to be useful it’s time to split the category. Maybe I need to separate the house electrical tools from the electronics tools, or the flat joinery chisels from the carving gouges, or the twist drills from the spade bits. Dump the box, sort them out, find new boxes for the resulting piles. Eventually I’ll need to split the framing butt chisels from the socket firmers. Then I’ll be doing it all over again.

Tools seem to find me. They show up at yard sales and thrift stores, sometimes in surprisingly good condition and for a fraction of their new price. Sometimes under a layer of rust or grime peeks out a tool of exceptional quality, needing only to be revealed, bearing price tags representing less than the cost of a single cup of coffee. They show up on retail shelves at prices that can be readily justified to fulfil a role completing a contract on time and within budget. They show up in the middle of the road, fugitives from some other toolbox, seeking me out. I take them home, clean and sharpen them, make them feel welcome. I find a category of their siblings and settle them in.

one of my favorite strategies is to group tools into kits by process of use. The things that I use for hanging doors go together and should be kept together. That way when I need to work on a door I just have to grab one toolkit and I’m ready. Except the 6′ level. That’s too big to fit in the box. And the jointer plane, because I also use it to flatten big panels. And the drill, because it goes along with too many other tools to live permanently in any one kit. Besides, doorhanging requires more than one drill, usually. And the drill bits get used for other holemaking purposes too. In fact, almost all of the doorhanging tools have other lives in between doors. And not all doors need the same toolset to hang. Sometimes a router gets a serious workout in the process of making a door swing, other times I don’t even bring one along.

I have what I call my grab and go box. It has an assortment of tools in it that don’t conform to any organizational principles other than that I find myself needing them frequently and that the box remain light enough for me to be willing to haul it around. Almost everything in that box is duplicated elsewhere in my shop.

I have boxes of tools that all have similar function. I rarely need more than one size of tap or die at a time, but I know where to find the one I need because they are all stored in the same place. Except for the ones in the antique set in the big flat wooden box. That won’t fit with the rest. Or the ratcheting dies that fit the long handle. Those are plumbing tools, so they go in the plumbing tool box. Or the special size die for stanley plane screws. It lives with plane tools. Wouldn’t want to mix it up.

At one time I had a plastic bucket bristling with pockets inside and out. The pockets rarely were the right size and shape for the tools I needed at hand. Things fell out of them, either into the bucket where an ever increasingly chaotic pile accumulated in the bottom, or out onto the floor of wherever I happened to be. Maybe I caught it in time, or not. The bucket idea didn’t last long.

Pegboard is the lowest common denominator of tool storage. I just can’t abide by pegboard. It’s sloppy. It’s generic. It provides no protection. It maximizes visual clutter.

On an aesthetic level I really like fitted cases. They say: “this tool or set of tools is valuable and worth protecting. It’s important enough to have organized in one place where at a single glance you can tell if everything got put away properly and just by feel you can find exactly the part you were looking for”. Unfortunately, fitted cases also prevent you from easily upgrading, adding accessories, having multiples or rearranging on the fly. Fitted cases are for mature sets of tools. It’s a static system.

Anarchist’s tool chest. This is an admirable system. It allows for a practical amount of upgrading and rearranging. It enforces restraint. It’s just not for me. I operate in a world where I’m called on to use the tools, materials and technologies of the past hundred years or so as well as modern high tech wizardry. When I’m in the shop I have to have a range of tools at hand that could not possibly be fit into a single chest, or a dozen. When I work away from the shop the toolkit I bring is tailored to the job at hand. It might not have much at all in common with the toolkit I packed yesterday.

I like tool rolls. They protect things and keep them all together in one place. They don’t waste space, at least not as long as the tools in them aren’t too awkwardly shaped. They create a tidy bundle of things that you can pick up and take with you, or roll out on the bench. I keep trying to use tool rolls. The problem seems to be outgrowing them.

Open shelves. Freedom… put things wherever you want. Put things in whatever you want, fitted cases, rolls, boxes or just heaps, just as long as they fit on the shelf. Make the shelves adjustable and the possibilities are practically endless. It’s all there in plain sight, easy to find and to get at. It’s also exposed to dust, exposed to atmospheric moisture, even exposed to light. Shelves full of assorted stuff create a kind of visual clutter that creates a working environment either dynamic or unsettling, depending how your brain works.

Some things are just too oddly shaped to fit nicely with the other tools they are used with. I have an 8′ long level. It gets used almost exclusively away from the shop. It gets used for framing carpentry, where it is accompanied by saws, drills, hammers and nails. It gets used for installing cabinets where it is accompanied by a completely different set of saws, drills, hammers and nails. It gets called on to be a straightedge. It gets used for hanging really big doors. It’s a nice level. It’s worth protecting. If I made a case for it the case would take up more space than it does when I take the level out. Sometimes I use it with other levels, some almost as long as it is. It defies being organized into a case, or into a kit. It’s too big and too expensive for me to want to have multiples of it for different situations. It stands alone. It just IS.

Drawers are great. In a few square feet of floor space you can store dozens of square feet worth of tools, all laid out neatly before you, easily rearranged, protected from dust, prevented from ending up at the bottom of a pile (as long as the drawer isn’t too deep). Add dividers for even more organizational fun. And you still have the top of the case to put something else on. Close the drawers and all you see is the drawer fronts, a neat geometric pattern covering up all of the chaos and complexity of the things inside. Get enough drawers and you start forgetting what’s inside any particular drawer. Pretty soon you’re spending a lot of time opening and closing drawers, hunting and rummaging for things.

Milk crates. The post-industrial, semi-illegal, standardized, indestructible, stackable miracle of modern commerce. You don’t even have to steal your own. They just show up, full of somebody else’s clutter. Fill them with whatever you want. Unless you’re an ingot collector you can’t make them too heavy to lift. You can see what’s inside, at least well enough to pick the right crate out of the stack. Somehow they end up being just the right depth for things in standardized cans and jugs. How’d that happen? Just remember, no small parts. They’ll just fall out the bottom. And crates don’t give any protection from dust or rust. And to actually get to that thing in the crate at the bottom of the stack you have to unstack the crates on top of it. While that is happening you have two stacks. Then when you’re done you have to do the same thing in reverse unless you have the luxury of an excess of floorspace for randomly placed stacks of crates.

Max Neu
01-08-2015, 6:33 AM
I am glad you posted this, I am getting ready to do a big organizational overhaul. I have purchased alot of new hand tools lately, and it's been driving me crazy not having any of it organized.I plan on making some new benches with all drawers, and labeled on the fronts, of course you have to actually read the labels for them to be effective :).I also thought about using a "mixer lift " mechanism used in kitchens for accessing your mixer/blender for my bench grinder.I don't use my grinder alot, so I don't want it on the bench all the time, but I want it handy to use when needed .I would love to see pictures of members organization solutions for planes, chisels, marking guages, and other small gadgets for hand tool work.

Brian Holcombe
01-08-2015, 8:14 AM
I have contemplated building an actual tool chest, but prefer my wall-system. Easy access, visually stimulating and easily upgraded.

Chris Hachet
01-08-2015, 8:24 AM
I think I am going to build an actual tool chest, but it is several items down on my list.

ken hatch
01-08-2015, 8:55 AM
Bridger,

Good show, comes down to there ain't an answer....A one size fits all answer.

You have seen my shop, I'm sure not as many tools as you have but still tools stuffed into every open space. As most if not all my work is on site I do not have transportation needs but once a critical mass is reached tool organization, storage, and maintenance is a problem. A problem I make noise about fixing by limiting the number of tools in my shop but will never happen. In fact the other day a local woodworker wanted to buy one of my extra #5's. I couldn't bring myself to selling the plane, I did offer to load it for as long as he needed to use it but sell a tool, it's just not in my genes.

My name is Ken and I have a tool jones.

Christian Thompson
01-08-2015, 8:56 AM
I'm in the middle of an organization process as well. We just moved into a new house and my workshop is small - a little over 100 square feet and shared with my office (a computer desk stuck in a closet). I built a tool chest a while ago that holds most of my hand-tools. In my old shop I also had a free standing set of shelves for miscellaneous finishing, sharpening, etc... stuff that needs to get replaced with a wall cabinet so I can reclaim the floor space. I also have gotten into coopering so now am acquiring a bunch more tools that need somewhere to go. I think I'm going to deal with this wall-mounted shelves and drawknife racks. I'm thinking of going with french cleats for all this stuff. I've built one french cleat so far for a hanging boot rack up in the mudroom and I used white pine. It seems pretty solid, but I'm a little concerned that white pine might be too soft. What kind of wood have you guys used for french cleats?

Brian - what kind of wall system do you use?

ken hatch
01-08-2015, 9:01 AM
I'm in the middle of an organization process as well. We just moved into a new house and my workshop is small - a little over 100 square feet and shared with my office (a computer desk stuck in a closet). I built a tool chest a while ago that holds most of my hand-tools. In my old shop I also had a free standing set of shelves for miscellaneous finishing, sharpening, etc... stuff that needs to get replaced with a wall cabinet so I can reclaim the floor space. I also have gotten into coopering so now am acquiring a bunch more tools that need somewhere to go. I think I'm going to deal with this wall-mounted shelves and drawknife racks. I'm thinking of going with french cleats for all this stuff. I've built one french cleat so far for a hanging boot rack up in the mudroom and I used white pine. It seems pretty solid, but I'm a little concerned that white pine might be too soft. What kind of wood have you guys used for french cleats?

Is it for show or just to hang a wall mount? If just to mount something to the wall, whatever scrap that is close to the right size.

Tom M King
01-08-2015, 9:07 AM
It took me several years of spare time to finally get all my small tools organized. I used the two sizes of Stanley/Bostitch waterproof toolboxes, and built cubbies for them. The number is somewhere over a hundred now, but I can get my hands on anything I want, and all the accessories are right there with any tool category, including dedicated wrenches, screwdrivers and such. Not only is everything organized, but there is no possibility of rust.

For instance, hand planes are in: Plane 1 Plane 2 Smooth 5,6,7 8 Molding 1,2 & 3 H&R 55 and probably others I can't remember right off. Saw Sharp has everything I need to sharpen a hand saw, including the vise. etc., etc., etc.

This picture is when we were first building the cubbies.

glenn bradley
01-08-2015, 9:16 AM
What kind of wood have you guys used for french cleats?

I use 3/4" shop plywood. the wider side of the 45* ripped strip is about 3-1/2". I knock an 1/8" of the point of the wall strip and the fixture piece. Since this is for the shop and fixtures will be relocated at will I shellac the cleat material and I paste wax them before hanging things up. I moved a fixture the other day that had been in place for a couple of years. The wax did its job and the piece released easily and it went over to the other wall. If I built a new shop, the cleat system is one of the things I have tried that would survive.

Beyond that, organization is a different as we are. I have a fundamental building block approach. Things I need at my finger tips are in drawers near where I use them. Things I use frequently are on the wall or in wall (french cleat) mounted tills or cabinets. Things I use less frequently are across the room. Things I use seldom are in the overhead or out in the shed. I don't need something that I only use during the finishing process within arms reach. I reserve that space for items that find daily use.

This method evolved as I realized that I was wasting a large amount of my precious shop time looking for things that I had just a minute ago. we all choose how we like to spend our shop time; working on projects or looking for that coffee can of screws, combo square, router bit, etc. :)

Brian Holcombe
01-08-2015, 10:11 AM

The haphazard type. It's a saw till combined with pegs and a long rail for chisels and other stuff.

Chris Hachet
01-08-2015, 10:20 AM
The haphazard type.

The best type of all possible types. Sometimes I think there is an over emphasis on shop furniture and an under emphasis on building really useful furniture projects for the house. A lot of us work in a shop with plywood shelves and OSB walls.

Daniel Rode
01-08-2015, 12:18 PM
Tool storage, as with my entire shop, is constantly evolving and changing. New tools or techniques may prompt new storage design or a reshuffling of the shop layout.

Some things are grouped and stored by use. Automotive, plumbing, electrical, carpentry. These are grouped and stored with the idea that the tools will be required outside the shop. Woodworking tools, on the other had, rarely leave the shop. Portability of woodworking tools is not important for me, so I don't bother with chests. I have a mix of open and closed shelving, drawers, peg board and some custom made holders (chisel rack, plane and saw till).

The design is often driven by cost. Lots of stuff built from BORG pine, offcuts, reused plywood, etc. It's mostly built with little adornment and the proportions are heavy on function and economy with form all but ignored.

A big part of the design is about how easy it is to get to the most commonly needed tools and how easy is it to put them away. My bench is small, getting things put away quickly and easily makes a big difference as I move from one operation to another.

Jim Koepke
01-08-2015, 12:36 PM
My plans to organize my tools goes back about 20 years. It still hasn't happened.

My shop is somewhat of a big mess, but the location of almost every tool is known.

There is some method to the madness.

Planes are mostly on shelves. Some are in drawers.

Chisels and gouges are spread among a couple of boxes and drawers.

Small items like replacement block plane blades, 6" rules, gimlets, dividers and compasses are kept in a set of small drawers built to fit under a shelf:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?208154-Lots-of-Errors-But-So-What

Here is the inside of the drawer for some of my compasses and dividers:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?208527-Compass-amp-Divider-Storage-Solution

The biggest problem with trying to set up an organized system is remembering to leave room for stray tools that haven't yet wondered into the shop. :D

jtk

paul cottingham
01-08-2015, 1:05 PM
It took me several years of spare time to finally get all my small tools organized. I used the two sizes of Stanley/Bostitch waterproof toolboxes, and built cubbies for them. The number is somewhere over a hundred now, but I can get my hands on anything I want, and all the accessories are right there with any tool category, including dedicated wrenches, screwdrivers and such. Not only is everything organized, but there is no possibility of rust.

For instance, hand planes are in: Plane 1 Plane 2 Smooth 5,6,7 8 Molding 1,2 & 3 H&R 55 and probably others I can't remember right off. Saw Sharp has everything I need to sharpen a hand saw, including the vise. etc., etc., etc.

This picture is when we were first building the cubbies.

Holy cow! I am never, ever posting a picture of my workshop. Are your tools all oriented North-South, or East-West? Hate to see your sock drawer.

Nice, nice space, nicely organized.

paul cottingham
01-08-2015, 1:18 PM
My shop is a catastrophic mess, but I know where all my main tools are located. Neatness and tidiness are highly overrated.

Strangely enough, though, I always return my tools to their places after I use them. I suspect it's because I know if I don't, I'll never find them again.

I use french cleats to hang most of my racks. I have two cabinets that hold my planes, one over my bench with my most used joinery planes in it, the other one across the shop (9ft or so.) I keep my joinery saws in a till over my bench as well, over my plane till, and my large saws in a till across the shop.

Marking tools like like my marking gauges, dividers and compasses, and my chisels, rasps, small hammers, etc, are hung on open racks in front of my window.

All my appliances for my bench are stored under my bench. Other than another till for my hollows and rounds and beading planes, that's all the organization I have in my shop. But, seriously, it's all I need.

Someday, I may build a chest, as I really think it's the way to go for me, but I don't think I have the floor space in my shop.

Tom M King
01-08-2015, 1:24 PM
Holy cow! I am never, ever posting a picture of my workshop. Are your tools all oriented North-South, or East-West? Hate to see your sock drawer.

Nice, nice space, nicely organized.

It's all in a 28' trailer now. That was the original plan. We don't only do woodworking, but anything else from cabinetry, stone work and other masonry, tree work, to plumbing, and electrical. "Portable" tablesaw is Unisaw with 52" Biesmeyer, and overarm dust collection. Portable jointer is 8" Delta. Sorry, no pictures of trailer or inside will be posted online.

Christian Thompson
01-08-2015, 1:44 PM
The haphazard type. It's a saw till combined with pegs and a long rail for chisels and other stuff.

Thanks - I'll probably end up with something like this, but on french cleats so I can move everything around if I guess wrong the first time :-).

Is it for show or just to hang a wall mount? If just to mount something to the wall, whatever scrap that is close to the right size.

Mainly just for hanging stuff. Either way, sounds like white pine is fine - which is convenient because I have a lot of it lying around.

bridger berdel
01-08-2015, 5:38 PM
Bridger,

Good show, comes down to there ain't an answer....A one size fits all answer.

You have seen my shop, I'm sure not as many tools as you have but still tools stuffed into every open space. As most if not all my work is on site I do not have transportation needs but once a critical mass is reached tool organization, storage, and maintenance is a problem. A problem I make noise about fixing by limiting the number of tools in my shop but will never happen. In fact the other day a local woodworker wanted to buy one of my extra #5's. I couldn't bring myself to selling the plane, I did offer to load it for as long as he needed to use it but sell a tool, it's just not in my genes.

My name is Ken and I have a tool jones.

Yeah, I do have more tools than you. I think that is because you cheat. You just go out and buy the good quality version of whatever it is that you need, while I search for aeons at junk stores and used tool shops, finding dozens of things that somehow I buy but still don't have the original blurfl I was looking for.

Mike Allen1010
01-08-2015, 7:43 PM

+1 I prefer tills that hang on the wall for handsaw's and planes as these are most frequently used and this makes them readily accessible. I Also have a rolling tool cabinet with a few shelves and many flat drawers – mortice chisels, paring chisels, carving tools etc. when I need them, I just bring the drawer out to the bench and all the tools are there.

In the beginning I attached my tills to the wall with cleats. Problem is as a tool collection grew, (who knew you would need three saw tiills?), I needed to move things to make more wall space. Now most of my shop walls are covered with pegboard and I hang the tiills (along with layout tools/squares/larger items) from the pegboard. Gives me flexibility to move things around.

I guess whatever works for you is the right way to go.

Cheers, Mike

Jim Matthews
01-08-2015, 8:35 PM
This is the woodworker's version of the Batcave.

Jim Matthews
01-08-2015, 8:41 PM
+1 on simple drawers.

I have a cheapo, secondhand dresser of reasonably high build quality
that holds my longer wood body planes.

I'm slowly parting from the lovely tools that don't get much use.
I went with what amounts to a large tote under my bench to hold
the planes I actively use.

My chisels went into a wooden "attache" case, next to the bench.
In the drawers are all the loverly girls I don't really dance with.

They should probably get new partners.
Drawers are my preference, but they're not created equal.

I have a set of what can be described as "filing cabinet" drawers
that run on metal pegs set into dadoes.

They are reluctant to display their contents.

steven c newman
01-08-2015, 11:39 PM
Started out trying to reuse an old dresser that already was in the basement

Out grew that so fast..

Built a small ATC of Walnut and pine
Then when I added a tote, too, it filled up too fast, again
Hmmm, decided a plane till MIGHT help out..
It sits close enough to the workbench, all I have to do is "About...FACE!" grab a plane and continue to work, no hunting required. Still, needed a place for other "stuff" to hide away in..
so a second tool chest was added. My hand saws that are too long for Tool Chest #1, hang from a clamp attached to the overhead joists. I keep the two "good" full sized saws here, though. Still not organized in the shop...