PDA

View Full Version : Link Belt vs. v-belt

Jules Dominguez
07-22-2005, 4:55 PM
I've seen Link Belt drive belts advertised over the years with the claim that they significantly reduce vibration of driven equipment versus a standard v-belt. I know some of you guys have given them a try. Do they really reduce vibration?

Jim Becker
07-22-2005, 4:57 PM
Yes, they do.

Steve Clardy
07-22-2005, 4:58 PM
Yes. Running them on my 3-belt 3hp table saw. 36" lathe. Fan motor on my heating fan.

Jim W. White
07-22-2005, 6:23 PM
They make a huge difference. I've run them on my table saw (contractor) and on my drill press with very positive results.

Dale Rodabaugh
07-22-2005, 6:46 PM
I put one on my Craftsman table saw,what a difference,it really runs smooth.

Keith Burns
07-22-2005, 7:21 PM
Can't beat them. If it's in my shop and has a belt, it has the link belt. Worth every penny !

"I'm tired of being arm candy for my wife"

Jules Dominguez
07-22-2005, 8:14 PM
Thanks. With that kind of positive reference, I'm going to order enough to do my tablesaw, bandsaw and drill press. I may buy it from an industrial supply company in Atlanta. I'm waiting for their pricing.

Dan Stuewe
07-22-2005, 8:14 PM
Just to throw this out...

IIRC a few years ago a discussion on the Pond (R.I.P.) about link belts brought up information that a belt with notches or something like that would give the same benifit as link belts at a conciderable savings in $$. (may have been Forrest Addy that provided the info.) The way I remember it, the link belt helps with vibration by not having a set oval shape which would induce vibration as it travels around the pulleys. This other type of belt (sorry I don't remember the name of it) has the same characteristic. I believe it was something that could be picked up at an auto parts store.

Please, anyone, correct me if I'm wrong or fill in the gapping holes I'm leaving here.

Jules Dominguez
07-22-2005, 8:47 PM
I'm hoping to get a more reasonable price on the Link Belt than the $6.50 per lineal foot plus shipping for 1/2" belt that I see in a woodworking catalog, by buying from an industrial supply outfit. I'll add another post if it's a worthwhile savings.

Curt Harms
07-22-2005, 10:17 PM

IIRC a few years ago a discussion on the Pond (R.I.P.) about link belts brought up information that a belt with notches or something like that would give the same benifit as link belts at a conciderable savings in $$. (may have been Forrest Addy that provided the info.) The way I remember it, the link belt helps with vibration by not having a set oval shape which would induce vibration as it travels around the pulleys. This other type of belt (sorry I don't remember the name of it) has the same characteristic. I believe it was something that could be picked up at an auto parts store.

Please, anyone, correct me if I'm wrong or fill in the gapping holes I'm leaving here.
Hi Dan

I remember the same discussion. I'd seen 'em as fan/alternator belts before the Serpentine belts became the norm. The narrow portion of the 'V" is notched and supposedly won't take a set, and about the same price as a traditional "V" belt.

Curt

Bill Fields
07-22-2005, 10:23 PM
Jules/Everyone:

Concur 100% on the huge improvement of a link belt. My Hitachi CF10L would not pass the niclel test unitl i swapped out the belt.

I bought a bunch of it fro HF (I think) and it was pretty cheap compared to Rockler, etc.

Now it will go on my BS and other tools as I get around to it.

Additional advantage: The length is easily adjustable--bring along a bit of hand muscle.

BILL FIELDS

Phil Ordway
07-23-2005, 8:38 PM
Check out http://www.harborfreight.com/
item 43771
I use them with no problems.

scott spencer
07-23-2005, 9:10 PM
They reduce vibration really well if you have vibration that's caused by the v-belt. If it's pulleys, alignment, motor or other, the link belt won't do a thing. On the downside they are slighter louder as they whir through the air.

A good alternative that's found on the new Sears hybrids and the Ridgid 3650 contractor saw is poly-v belts that have multiple ribs. They do require proprietary pulleys, but they're less prone to the memory set that causes vibration and they're quieter than link belts.

Rick Lizek
07-23-2005, 9:28 PM

Dan...almost correct. I only recommend link belts on machines with motors suspended by gravity. Regular v belts have a memory from sitting idle and this causes a bounce which causes slippage and reduces power on the up bounce...contractors saws for example. X cog belts are a good option as they are good for smaller diameter pulleys. I see no improvement using link belts on fixed motors as there is no bounce factor from gravity such as a Unisaw, etc. I see no point in spending money if not necessary as a genuine improvement. X cog belts are available from any good power transmission dealer (yellow pages) www.mcmaster.com (http://www.mcmaster.com) www.mscdirect.com (http://www.mscdirect.com) etc. I work on machinery so I have a wider experince to draw from.

lou sansone
07-23-2005, 9:42 PM
I have to agree with rick on this one. I have used link belts and have not been impressed. But many of you feel different and that fine with me. Personally I really like the cog type belts, my 12 hp planer motor uses 2 of them and it really runs great.

lou