PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Burl Hollow Form - A first for me.

Rich Aldrich
01-07-2015, 9:16 PM
This is my first hollow form. It is made of cherry burl with a wall thickness about 1/4". It is 3" tall x 3 3/4" diameter at the largest diameter. Finished with WOP (wipe on poly) It still needs a few more coats then it will be buffed and waxed.
I am going to try to make a finial for this one also.

More to the story... in January 2012, I had convinced my wife to let me buy a Monster articulating hollowing system, but I was working on the road for 9 months that year. I took a different job, the one I am currently in, and finally got around to using the system. It really works well. The piece of wood was left from a bowl that I had made and sat on the shop floor for over a year. I couldn't make myself cut it up for pen blanks because I thought it would make a good hollow form.

C & C are welcome. This is my first, so let me know what you think.

David Delo
01-07-2015, 9:31 PM
If that's your first HF, can't wait to see what you come up with on your 20th one! Nice job Rich, nice execution with a cool looking chunk of wood.

Josh Morgan
01-07-2015, 10:25 PM
Looks very nice.

robert baccus
01-07-2015, 11:18 PM
Super bowl and wood too.

Rob Boesem
01-07-2015, 11:26 PM
Hard to believe that's your fist HF!!...Nice form and a beautiful piece of wood!

Everyone likes something different, but I like the level of gloss you've got right now.

Thom Sturgill
01-08-2015, 6:46 AM
Rich, very nice HF. Much better use of the burl than penn blanks.

Michelle Rich
01-08-2015, 7:34 AM
a first? can't wait to see the 15th..super job

John Keeton
01-08-2015, 8:13 AM
Excellent, Rich! Very good form and execution - not to mention a beautiful piece of wood.

Robert Willing
01-08-2015, 10:56 AM
Rich
Beautiful cherry HF, and beautiful UP cherry. I am from Crystal Falls and have seen a lot of that burl around here. I am drying some now for some game calls. I also just bought an articulated hollowing system but have not tried it out yet, just waiting for the burl to dry some more.

Based on weather reports you are what seems to be the snow capital of the UP. We don't have as much snow but we have the same below "0" temp all week. Keep warm.

Doug Ladendorf
01-08-2015, 11:11 AM
That's beautiful Rich, nicely done.

steven carter
01-08-2015, 12:55 PM
You certainly made the correct choice not to make pen blanks. Very nice HF whether first, last or in between.

jwjerry w kowalski
01-08-2015, 12:58 PM
Rich, if that were your 50th hollow form it would be very nice, being your first it is really exceptional work.

Paul Hinds
01-08-2015, 1:21 PM
Beautifully done. I agree it's very hard to believe that's your first it is such a good job.

Doug Herzberg
01-08-2015, 2:15 PM
Nicely done.

Rich Aldrich
01-08-2015, 4:56 PM
Thank you for the compliments. I was amazed at how easy it seemed.

There are a few things that I would change as far as form, some of it was caused by tool challenges due to how small the hollow form is. The boring bar is 3/4" and to get the large diameter hollowed, I had to make the hole bigger. That makes it very close in size to the foot, which I was already committed to the diameter. I have a better understanding of the planning now for the hole and the foot diameter. The 2/3 1/3 rule applies here too. It is one of those things where you don't know enough to ask the question until you go too far and can' cut more on.....

Peter Fabricius
01-08-2015, 9:40 PM
Very nice HF Rich!
Also nice of your wife to let you buy the Monster.
I can see how the hole needs to be bigger for the 3/4" bar, but it is easy to make smaller and specially shaped bars to fit the smaller holes.
See the attached pic of one I made for my Monster, the cutter is 3/16" metal lathe shaped to a round scraper. Works perfectly and goes all the way to the edge under a wide rim.
Peter F.

Jon Nuckles
01-08-2015, 10:40 PM
Excellent form and really beautiful. Amazing first effort!

Dok Yager
01-10-2015, 8:22 AM
Very nice Rich! Good form and Beautiful piece of wood. Pen blanks would have been a huge waste of a gorgeous hunk of wood.

Steve Schlumpf
01-10-2015, 11:16 AM
Rich, you already know my comments... you planning on bringing this to the club meeting? Would be a whole lot easier to offer a critique while holding it.

For the smaller pieces I turn, I took my Sorby 3/8" swan neck (http://www.rockler.com/robert-sorby-swan-neck-hollowing-tools). I removed the handle and it fit my Monster systems perfectly! Thing is, even with the Monster system, the 3/8" bar will get a lot of vibration - so take very light cuts!

Rich Aldrich
01-10-2015, 12:06 PM
Steve,

I do plan on bringing it to the meeting. I have a swan neck that I bought with the monster, but it is 3/4" diameter. Thanks for the tip on Sorby. Either I will buy one and modify it or try to make one like it.