PDA

View Full Version : 10" Craftsman Band Saw Help

Steven Bruening
01-07-2015, 10:49 AM
First of all, I'd like to say hello. This is my first post on these forums and I'm in the process of learning a new hobby at the same time. These forums have already been extremely helpful in the past and I look forward to hopefully contributing to these forums in the future.

Now, onto my problem. I'm currently borrowing an old 10" Craftsman Band Saw from a family member that hasn't been used for many years that I'm trying to put to good use.

Model # - 113.244401

I went though all of the tune-up processes that I could think of, including...

Opening it up and cleaning it out
Taking off the blade, re-aligned it so that it stayed on the curve when manually turning it
Fixing the guides, etc.

I started it up and it worked fine for a little while, started to hear a noise, turned it off, and then it wouldn't start back up. Opened up the unit, from visual inspection, looked like the blade was pushing the top tire off its rim to the point where is rubbing against the motor mount. Took off the blade, re-positioned the tire, started it up, and it ran fine without the blade. Put the blade back on, started it, worked fine and started to hear the noise again. Same thing had occurred. Is this just a situation where I need to replace the tires or is there something more here?

Thanks for the responses.

Steve

Val Kosmider
01-07-2015, 11:28 AM
I have a similar saw......I MAKE it work, but it sure doesn't do a good job on it's own. When the budget allows, it will be one of the first things that I will replace.

Here is a thread discussing that era of saws. Perhaps you will get some info in here: http://lumberjocks.com/topics/7233

Steven Bruening
01-07-2015, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the reply. There was some decent information in the thread but I unfortunately there wasn't anything that could help me with my problem. Getting rid of it and buying a new one is not an option right now, especially when it's not even mine.

Myk Rian
01-07-2015, 12:14 PM
If the tension is set too high it can stretch the tires and cause the problem you have.
New tires is my bet.

Steven Bruening
01-07-2015, 12:20 PM
If the tension is set too high it can stretch the tires and cause the problem you have.
New tires is my bet.

This actually surprises me. I have the band saw set at the "tension set" point that is shown on the inside of the case. Maybe I'll lower the tension from the set point and see where that leads me.

Mike Wilkins
01-07-2015, 2:47 PM
You may have to cement the tire to the wheel to keep it from working loose. Some bandsaws are made to have the tires glued to the wheels. You may try to install some Carter Urethane tires which do not have to be glued due to their materials. I plan to use them in my restoration of an old Craftsman bandsaw.

Steven Bruening
01-07-2015, 7:11 PM
You may have to cement the tire to the wheel to keep it from working loose. Some bandsaws are made to have the tires glued to the wheels. You may try to install some Carter Urethane tires which do not have to be glued due to their materials. I plan to use them in my restoration of an old Craftsman bandsaw.

Are Carter Urethane tires a higher quality tire replacement over the stock tires, which are still available according to the Sears parts website?