PDA

View Full Version : Extinct breafast cereals

Stephen Tashiro
01-07-2015, 3:06 AM
What breakfast cereals of the past have gone extinct?

Browsing the beakfast cereal aisle at a local store, I saw many familiar products. Only a few I remember from childhood were missing. I recall a honey coated cereal that was shaped like small 'puffs", smaller that "Puffed Rice". I didn't see it, but perhaps they've just changed it's shape. I recall "Alphabits". I think I've seen them for sale recently, but there were not on this aisle.

John Coloccia
01-07-2015, 7:13 AM
Waffalos, Count Chocula. Oh how I miss Count Choculo. Don't talk to me about the reissue version that they do from time to time. The marshmallows are completely different. They're big and huge, and not as dense. Completely ruined it. Bah.

Mike Circo
01-07-2015, 8:40 AM
I recall Quisp and Quake. Two variations of a the same cereal, Quake had sort of a maple flavor. Quisp had a cute space alien as their character, Quake had a guy that looked like a miner or something.
I think Quisp may still sold in some areas of the country, but Quake is long gone.

glenn bradley
01-07-2015, 8:48 AM
I haven't seen Ruskets on a grocery store shelf for as long as I can recall. I miss this American version of Weet-a-bix (or Weet-bix).

Tim Browne
01-07-2015, 9:07 AM
I don't do cereal so I'm not sure whats off the market but I know they've kept many of the early ones. As a kid, in the stoneage, I used to like Shredded Wheat. Not the mini frosted things that they sell now but large (2 to a bowl) balls of twine with no sugars or flavoring.
Stephen mentioned Puffed Rice and they still sell Puffed Wheat but does anyone remember Quaker Puffed Oats?
Some cereals seem to stay forever. Post grape-nuts have been around for over 120 years.

John Coloccia
01-07-2015, 9:12 AM
Post grape-nuts have been around for over 120 years.

I've had Grape Nuts, and I'm not at all surprised that they were 120 years old.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-07-2015, 9:52 AM

LOL! I like them, but you may be right!

Eric DeSilva
01-07-2015, 10:18 AM
What I noted was the "updating" of the names. "Sugar Smacks" still exist, but now they are "Honey Smacks." What I ate as "Sugar Frosted Flakes" have now just become "Frosted Flakes." Apparently putting sugar in the cereal is still OK, but putting it in the title is unhealthy.

Pat Barry
01-07-2015, 10:27 AM
I recall Quisp and Quake. Two variations of a the same cereal, Quake had sort of a maple flavor. Quisp had a cute space alien as their character, Quake had a guy that looked like a miner or something.
I think Quisp may still sold in some areas of the country, but Quake is long gone.
Thanks for the memory - I used to love Quake cereal. I recall that Capn Crunch had a similar flavor back in the day but it got changed back in the 80's.

Shawn Pixley
01-07-2015, 10:38 AM
Instant Ralston? A heartier version of Cream of Wheat. If you had to work outside in a cold midwestern winter, it was a good foundation.

Richard Hutchings
01-07-2015, 11:32 AM
That's what I was going to say. I wish they still sold it. Not the instant but the boxed version.

Instant Ralston? A heartier version of Cream of Wheat. If you had to work outside in a cold midwestern winter, it was a good foundation.

Kevin Bourque
01-07-2015, 12:13 PM
Quisp and Quake were my favorites as a kid. Cap'n Crunch was also big at our house. I don't eat much cereal nowadays but when I do it's mostly Special K, Grape Nuts, and Rice Chex.

Prashun Patel
01-07-2015, 12:37 PM
Booberry and Frankenberry bring back fond memories. But if I had them today, I'd probably gag.

Mel Fulks
01-07-2015, 12:48 PM
I reccommend "The Road to Wellville" film to cereal fans. Good scene with John Cusack and Matthew Broderick doing some
design work.

Charlie Barnes
01-07-2015, 12:59 PM
Waffalos, Count Chocula. Oh how I miss Count Choculo. Don't talk to me about the reissue version that they do from time to time. The marshmallows are completely different. They're big and huge, and not as dense. Completely ruined it. Bah.

I was also a fan of Count Chocula. I saw this article a while back that indicates they bring it back around Halloween on a limited basis. But it sounds like there's a brewery in Colorado that buys up all of the available local stock and uses it as a basis for their beer!

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2014/10/count_chocula_beer_black_bottle_brewery.html

Charlie

Mike Cutler
01-07-2015, 1:11 PM
What I noted was the "updating" of the names. "Sugar Smacks" still exist, but now they are "Honey Smacks." What I ate as "Sugar Frosted Flakes" have now just become "Frosted Flakes." Apparently putting sugar in the cereal is still OK, but putting it in the title is unhealthy.

It could be a situation of false, or misleading labeling.

I can't eat cereals like that any longer. I also can't eat donuts or most mass produced grocery store level bakery products either, because the "sugar" has been replaced with HFCS.
They can call it any number of trade names they like, but sugar from corn isn't the same thing as sugar from sugar cane. Real sugar I can handle 24/7 with no issues. HFCS just flat out whacks the crud out of me. I really miss drinking root beer too. :(

roger wiegand
01-07-2015, 1:16 PM
That's what I was going to say. I wish they still sold it. Not the instant but the boxed version.

Here you go-- http://www.hotralston.com/howtoorder.htm

Richard Hutchings
01-07-2015, 1:19 PM
Wow! Thanks, I'll be ordering some. Wonder if I'll still like it.

Rich Engelhardt
01-07-2015, 1:42 PM
(Sugar) Jets were my favorite.
I remember when they came out in the late 1950's and when they went away in the mid 1970's.

James Baker SD
01-07-2015, 1:50 PM
(Sugar) Jets were my favorite.
I remember when they came out in the late 1950's and when they went away in the mid 1970's.
I was going to add Jets as well, but you beat me to it. Best cereal ever. Sort of shaped like Kix, but IIRQ, it had oats as well as corn and was frosted.

Izzy Camire
01-07-2015, 1:56 PM
I miss Oatios they discontinued them about 3 years ago. Great 100% oat cereal.

Stew Hagerty
01-07-2015, 3:49 PM

I though Euell Gibbons invented them... LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XJMIu18I8Y

Shawn Pixley
01-07-2015, 5:07 PM
Cool! I'll get some.

Stephen Tashiro
01-07-2015, 5:15 PM
I haven't seen Ruskets on a grocery store shelf for as long as I can recall. I miss this American version of Weet-a-bix (or Weet-bix).

I saw a box marked "Weetabix" somewhere recently, but it wasn't in the (USA) cereal ailse. Is there a cracker by that name?

Kent A Bathurst
01-07-2015, 5:16 PM

John - you never disappoint, nor cease to amaze, at the breadth and depth of your detailed knowledge and expertise.

Keep up the good work !! :D :D

Regards,

Kent

John Coloccia
01-07-2015, 5:24 PM
Kent, now that I have kids, I have a keen interest in remember all this useless trivia for when I have to give them the "back in my day" speech. They've already gotten the, "Keep it up and you can forget about daddy ever getting you a car" speech, and if they keep it up they'll be riding their bikes to the bingo hall.

glenn bradley
01-07-2015, 5:24 PM

I also notice that "Mr. Salty" pretzels and "Aydes" diet candies didn't appear with those names for a bit before they disappeared. Its kinda like opening a "Fat Burger" in southern California; the name is gonna kill sales.

Brad Schafer
01-07-2015, 6:54 PM
... Its kinda like opening a "Fat Burger" in southern California; the name is gonna kill sales.

uhm, there are quite a few in the greater Hollywood area ... and they seemed to be doing a bang up business last time i looked. :)

Art Mulder
01-07-2015, 7:59 PM
okay hands up all you guys (like me) who had all the ditty's from your childhood TV commercials going through your head while reading this thread...

"can't get enough of those sugarrrr, crisps" (hated that cereal)

Kent A Bathurst
01-07-2015, 8:13 PM
Kent, now that I have kids, I have a keen interest in remember all this useless trivia for when I have to give them the "back in my day" speech. They've already gotten the, "Keep it up and you can forget about daddy ever getting you a car" speech, and if they keep it up they'll be riding their bikes to the bingo hall.

That'll make a big change in behaviour. Assuming kids today are nothing like me in my day, because that only encouraged my black-sheep test-the-boundaries rebellion-flag-flying persona. ;)

Dave Lehnert
01-07-2015, 8:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txP8ZHWmEfg

Stephen Tashiro
01-08-2015, 4:35 AM
okay hands up all you guys (like me) who had all the ditty's from your childhood TV commercials going through your head while reading this thread...

Not till you mentioned it, but:

Frosted Flakes, you will see
The tiger on the box is me

Jason Roehl
01-08-2015, 8:21 AM
I can't believe you guys haven't brought up Mr. T cereal. I pity da foo' who nevah tried it! It's coo'!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOptQ0Ye1NU

Eric DeSilva
01-08-2015, 9:14 AM
I reccommend "The Road to Wellville" film to cereal fans. Good scene with John Cusack and Matthew Broderick doing some design work.

The book of the same name by T. Coraghessan Boyle, is a good, and funny, read.