PDA

View Full Version : A Simple Molding

Jim Koepke
01-07-2015, 2:56 AM
My current plan is to make more cabinets like my wife's tea cabinet to sell at the farmers market. To me the molding really makes for a stand out detail adding a lot to the finished piece.

The selection of wood for molding takes the grain into consideration more than for many other projects. Small spots of tear out can be sanded and made to blend in. A lot of tear out is hard to sand away. For me it is easier to cut a profile into the edge of a piece and then rip it on the bandsaw than it is to work with smaller pieces and a sticking board. The next molding face usually doesn't need to be planed after cutting since it will get planed as the molding is made. The back side of the molding will need planing to sit smoothly against the case of the cabinet.

My Record #778 rabbet plane has some slight modifications:

A rosewood runner has been added to the fence. The depth stop used to catch a lot of splinters from the shavings. To prevent this the edge of the stop at the blade was rounded over with a file. It works great this way.

The rabbet plane is used here to make a step & batten for the hollowing plane:

When using fenced planes it is important to check your set up before actually starting the cuts. Make sure you will not be running a plane's fence, our your own knuckles into the vise or any other holding devices. It doesn't show in any of these images but there is a hold fast opposite the vise end of the work piece. The work piece rests on this and is held steady against the front of the bench.

The cove is cut before the bead:

The cove is cut first to avoid scratching the edge of the bead with the hollowing plane. Often one works starting at the side farthest from the fence or the worker. The order of the cutting may need to be determined on a case by case basis.

A Stanley #45 is used to cut the bead:

With the multi-planes it is usually easier to start at the end and work back to the beginning. It establishes a track that gets lengthened with just about every stroke. It may not make sense, but it works.

This bead is cut to leave no quirk at what is the top in this picture. For the cabinet it will be on the bottom and top.

The shavings are left on the bench on purpose. My picture of me rubbing shavings all over the molding didn't come out to well:

This is a trick that may be as old as woodworking itself. It can get rid of minor fuzziness and it shines up the surface a bit:

Finally the piece is marked to be ripped:

The edge of the cove is marked to be cut and end up flush with the front edge of the cabinet door.
It will be awhile before the cabinet is ready for molding. My plan is to revive this thread at that time for the mitering and the attaching to the cabinet. Or maybe do a thread on making the cabinet including attaching the molding.

jtk

Chris Hachet
01-07-2015, 7:26 AM
Inspirational to those of us who are still using routers to make mouldings. Right now I am taking an art history class at an upper level at the unviersity I work for, so my time is becoming limited....

Looks like this summer I need to work on getting a few moulding planes and getting them set up. I used the Stanley #78 of Steven neuman when I visted him last weekend. I was suprised at how well the tool worked, much nicer than a router.

Bead looks nice and crisp on your work piece, nice work!

Mike Allen1010
01-07-2015, 6:26 PM
Jim, beautifully done – thanks for sharing the pictures!

I struggle trying to get nice clean molding profiles like yours with my hollow and round molding planes. I tell myself that it's because my plane body/irons are old and inaccurate, which leads me to pine for contemporary molding planes from the very few molding planes makers working today, which are clearly outside my budget. Your post illustrates the wisdom of "it's not the arrow, it's the Indian"; which means regrettably for hand tool pigs like me, there is no salvation in new tools – just the need for skill and expertise.

I always enjoy your posts.

Best regards, Mike

Jim Koepke
01-07-2015, 8:50 PM
Jim, beautifully done – thanks for sharing the pictures!

I struggle trying to get nice clean molding profiles like yours with my hollow and round molding planes. I tell myself that it's because my plane body/irons are old and inaccurate, which leads me to pine for contemporary molding planes from the very few molding planes makers working today, which are clearly outside my budget. Your post illustrates the wisdom of "it's not the arrow, it's the Indian"; which means regrettably for hand tool pigs like me, there is no salvation in new tools – just the need for skill and expertise.

I always enjoy your posts.

Best regards, Mike

Chris & Mike, thanks for the kind words.

there is no salvation in new tools – just the need for skill and expertise.

The salvation is in the sharpening and the fettling. I wish I bought more wooden molding planes back when they were often in the $10 each range. Saw some in a "decorator's antique" store in Astoria, Oregon. They wanted $45 each. Didn't make any difference to them one had a blade and one didn't.

jtk

Brian Sommers
03-02-2016, 3:41 PM
Amazing! I did see a documentary on Sam Maloof, I couldn't believe what those woodworkers did. Not knowing what a Sam Maloof chair was. After the show I told my wife I want to get one of those for my dad for Christmas. I googled it and found one for $12,000! In case you're wondering the story ends with my dad NOT having one! LOL

I think for now, I'll stick with my power tools but I might get a few hand tools just to see how it feels.

Jeff Bartley
03-03-2016, 7:46 AM
Jim, I'll be tuning into to this if you do a whole write up of your build! That is a handsome molding. I love the sound of a molding plane, it's so different than a smoother or jack!

Robert Norman
03-03-2016, 8:49 AM
Nice work, Jim! Do you have a thread of the cabinet build? I remember the potting bench thread which was quite good and eye opening to bulk production with hand tools.
If anyone would like to try similar work but needs planes, check out my home page in user profile and/or signature, you can use them free of charge (pay shipping) to try something new or just see if it's your cup of tea.

Jim Koepke
03-03-2016, 11:30 AM
Nice work, Jim! Do you have a thread of the cabinet build? I remember the potting bench thread which was quite good and eye opening to bulk production with hand tools.
If anyone would like to try similar work but needs planes, check out my home page in user profile and/or signature, you can use them free of charge (pay shipping) to try something new or just see if it's your cup of tea.

There is a thread on the cabinet build, but it doesn't show much of the process:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?224747-Tea-Cabinet-Latest-Project&p=2343785#post2343785

I did take some pictures of various steps along the way, but at the time I didn't think of posting a full build thread.

jtk

Jeff Ranck
03-03-2016, 1:28 PM
Looking forward to this as you move things along, just like I always do your build threads. I always learn lots.

Frederick Skelly
03-03-2016, 6:45 PM
Thanks for posting this Jim. I'm just starting out with H&Rs and it helps!
Fred

Jim Koepke
03-03-2016, 7:38 PM
Thanks for posting this Jim. I'm just starting out with H&Rs and it helps!
Fred

I am glad it helps. I have been using H&Rs for a while now and just starting to understand how to use them. :D

I want to see if one of my hollows can be tuned up a little to enhance performance. If it goes as anticipated I will post the whole story.

jtk

Stew Denton
03-03-2016, 8:07 PM
Hi Jim,

Thanks for posting the pictures. They help with understanding the steps. The molding is beautiful. The photo shows that the molding turned out clean as a whistle and crisp as can be. Very cool!

I am looking forward to seeing the steps in the rest of the build when you get around to it this spring. The steps you and some of the other seasoned hand tool guys show really helps some of the guys like me, that are not as seasoned at the Neander ways, but are wording at it.

Thanks again,

Stew