PDA

View Full Version : GF Enduro Clear Poly on painted cabinets. Flat?

Chris Rich
01-07-2015, 12:24 AM
Hi there,

So, I'm done spraying my shaker cabinet doors with BM Advance Satin in black. They turned out very nice. I took advice on a previous post to use General Finishes Enduro clear poly so I ordered a gallon of satin. In the meantime, I used some other satin poly to brush on some of the trim. I'm now concerned that it is much too shiny and if I spray the cabinet doors with satin, it will be too shiny as well. I love the finish of the BM advance as it is. It has fairly low sheen which is the style I'm looking for. Would it be dumb to use GF Enduro Flat poly instead or can someone give me their opinion?

Thanks for the advice...Chris

Chris Rich
01-07-2015, 12:36 AM
I was just reading another thread and I wonder if I just didn't stir the pint can enough before I used it to test with. I didn't realize that the flattening material can get stuck at the bottom if I don't stir it well enough. I suppose when I get the can of GF Enduro Satin, I can try it but I would kind of prefer to ship it back if it's not going to work so I don't waste the money...

John Huds0n
01-07-2015, 3:29 AM
Just for info, General Finishes has a Black Poly that comes in satin or semi gloss

https://generalfinishes.com/professional-products/water-base-paints-glazes-and-pigmented-topcoats/pigmented-acryilic-high-solids-finish

scott vroom
01-07-2015, 10:29 AM
Chris, yes the solids that dull down the sheen settle in the bottom of the can so you need to stir prior to application to get what's advertised.

I've sprayed several projects with BM Advance in the satin sheen and don't care for the finish, and have always top coated with Enduro clear satin. Unless you want a dead flat finish, I think you'll be pleased with the satin. If it's too shiny you could, I suppose, mix in a quart of flat to dull it down.

Chris Rich
01-07-2015, 11:14 AM
Thanks both... I didn't realize there was a black poly available. Very interesting... Scott...I appreciate your input with your past experience. I will try the satin because I don't want dead flat and I like the idea of adding some flat to the mix if I don't like the finish...