PDA

View Full Version : Getting edge banding flush with surface

Mike Mastin
05-30-2003, 11:28 AM
OK,

I want to build a new outfeed table/assembly table for the table saw. I have a few large commercial laminated doors that I will use for the tabletop. I want to put an oak edgeband around the edges as they are exposed particle board.
My question is what is the best method to get the edgebanding flush with the top? I would imagine that a flush cutting router bit with bearing would be the ticket, but not sure.

Dave Avery
05-30-2003, 11:33 AM
Mike,

What you're thinking about is what I do........ Dave.

Steven Wilson
05-30-2003, 12:16 PM
Router bit is one way but you have to be very, very careful. A more expensive, but foolproof way of accomplishing the task is with a Lipping Planer; Hoffman has a good one at http://www.hoffmann-usa.com/htm/lippingplaner/lippingplaner.htm http://www.hoffmann-usa.com/images/machines/lippingplaner.gif

Jerry Krakauer
05-30-2003, 1:59 PM
Called Hoffman for pricing fell off the chair with a $900.00 price tag- yes thats right (nine hundred US dollars) a bit pricey I would say. -Jerry

Steven Wilson
05-30-2003, 3:07 PM
Originally posted by Jerry Krakauer
Called Hoffman for pricing fell off the chair with a $900.00 price tag- yes thats right (nine hundred US dollars) a bit pricey I would say. -Jerry

Well there are other makers; Virutex makes a couple, one at around $450.00

Ron Meadows
05-30-2003, 3:22 PM
There is a flush triming jig in Router Magic by Hylton. If you have this book you could look there or send me a PM and I'll scan it and send it to ya. Looks like it would work quite well

Ron

Bobby Hatfield
05-30-2003, 6:09 PM
Lipping planer is nice but even $400 was a little high back a few years ago for the Virutex, just bite the bullet and its paid for soon. That is if you edge many cabinet shelves, desk tops, or whatever. It is adjustable width and I leave just a 32nd and scrape the rest off next to the laminate, the adjustment will allow it to cut below the surface, so I stay away from the edge of laminate just a tad. Betterley makes a jig for a router, but haven't used one or seen one in use, the principal design looks good.

Steven J Corpstein
05-30-2003, 6:38 PM
If this is a one time deal, I would probably use a good ole hand plane.

Glen Smith
05-30-2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Steven J Corpstein
If this is a one time deal, I would probably use a good ole hand plane.

I'll be the first to admit that my handplaning skills are not real good. But let me caution you on that handplane advise. I trimed some plywood bookshelves with oak and had a TERRIBLE time with the oak grain tearing out. The (sharp) plane pulled up the oak no matter which way I used it. No matter how thin a shaving I set it to, I got just enough bite on at least two of the shelves to pull up some of the plywood face veneer.

It just about ruined my day. No I set up the router table with a flush trim bit and set the fence just behind the bearing. It may take a couple passes, but no tear out - and no ruined shelves.

Glen Smith