PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for router bit and drill bit sets

Stuart Welsh
01-06-2015, 9:36 PM
I recently stumbled upon a tool website advertising a router bit set described as "Professional Quality Router Bit Set Carbide - 1/2" Shank - Yonico.

Wait for it…..$139.95. Less than $2.00 per bit for "Professional Quality" router bits. Hmmmm.

Well I'm not here to invite criticisms about the set mentioned and I don't know anything about Yonico but I am skeptical that anyone can sell bits of any quality for that price. What I am looking for are suggestions for quality, reasonably priced sets of bits, both router and drill, for my newly built shop. Up until now I've survived with small assortment drill sets from Delta or Irwin that banged around in my tool bag. The router bits were a mish-mosh of varying quality that ended up rattling around in my router case. Now that I've decided to create the wood shop I've wanted for 20 years I find many of my hand tools etc need to be added to and upgraded.

I'd appreciate suggestions on just what I shouldn't be without in the way of router bits even if a set or individual purchases. I'm starting over so what do you suggest in the way of manufacturers and profiles. I do have three sets of CMT, (raised panel, glass panel, door). As for drill bits, I'm starting over too. Ready to keep a nice index of sizes dedicated for my drill press.

If you have questions by all means ask! Thanks.

Mike Henderson
01-06-2015, 10:00 PM
I bought a set of Norseman bits, from 1/16" to 1/2" by 64ths. Good bits. Here's (https://www.emisupply.com/catalog/norseman-sp29-magnum-super-premium-jobber-length-blackgold-29pc-p-2202.html?utm_source=googprod&utm_medium=product_search&utm_campaign=google-product-search-us-en&utm_term=NDT-44150&gclid=Cj0KEQiArK6lBRC5-_jv48uxgrgBEiQAuxdZ9boO0AsE4LlW8hIK63_3VQxLd1kK_fN _tZAzLq5YV5saAubB8P8HAQ#.VKygzyujOm4) a link to one company who sells them. I didn't buy from that company - the link is just to show you the bit set.

Mike

[If you want to add a set of numbered bits, here's (https://www.emisupply.com/catalog/norseman-sp60-magnum-super-premium-jobber-length-blackgold-60pc-p-8316.html?utm_source=googprod&utm_medium=product_search&utm_campaign=google-product-search-us-en&utm_term=NDT-88640&gclid=Cj0KEQiArK6lBRC5-_jv48uxgrgBEiQAuxdZ9aftui5lv-D0Xq026B4hrDyaopZPV90qIDHY3ErKUvMaAr-48P8HAQ#.VKyhhyujOm4) a link to a Norseman set.]

Ray Newman
01-06-2015, 11:55 PM
Not sure of your budget, so I will just throw out a few ideas and mention what has worked well for me.

Metal drills: years ago I bought drill sets fractionaldrills (by 1/64th), letter (A –Z), and number(1 – 60) from Grainger.Sometimes, a letter or number drill will be very close to a metric size. Notcheap even back 25 years ago, but they keep the edge and they are sizedcorrectly. If you do not have a Grainger account, visit the local machine shopsupplier and explain your needs.

Woodworking – brad points. I have an old set of DeWalt bradpoint drills – 1/32 to 3/8” by 64th (??) that I bought from Home Depot.Surprisingly good quality and they are well used.
A set of depth stops for metal and woodworking drills.

Forstner bits – I would not buy a set. I have utilized only a few in the set that I have. Purchase these bits as you need them and buy the best quality.

Set of Fuller tapered drills with depth stop and countersinkfor tapered wood screws. Similar set for dry wall type screws. Look for set that has replaceable individual drills.

Square drive shank “Snappy” drills and tapered screw bits withdepth stops and countersinks for battery operated drivers. Again, look for replaceable individual drills.

Inexpensive Miles Craft stubby (approx. 2” long) brad point and metal twist drills -- handy when working in close quarters.

Self-centering Vix bits- a”gawd send” when boring holes toinstall hardware such as latches, handles, hinges, etc.

The Lee Valley tool catalog will give you an idea as what is out there.

Router bits: my opinion -- avoid sets. You’ll use ae a few regularly,but most will just set in the box. Buy router bits as you need them. Again, buy the best quality carbide for longevity and smooth cuts. Whiteside, CMT, Freud, are very good as well as the bits from Eagle America. Am not sure about EagleAmerica’s price cutter bits as I have never purchased any. http://www.eagleamerica.com/?S=MSN_BR&utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brand

Substitute machine shop end mills for some types of straight bits. End mills are available in ¼, 3/8, and ½” shanks in factional and metric diameters. ENCO and other on-line dealers or local machine shop suppliers stock them. If you have a Porter-Cable router, at one time Porte-Cable had a 3/8”diameter collect available. Plunge type as wells as up or down shear straight bits are very handy.

John Schweikert
01-07-2015, 1:24 AM
I bought the same Norseman bit set as Mike just in the water resistant case. Nicest set of drill bits I've ever used. First thing I drilled was stainless steel half oval used for rub rails on my boat. The bits cut incredibly well. I bought the set through Amazon. Price was a little lower than the link above.

I only buy router bits as I need them, usually Freud or Whiteside.

Phil Barrett
01-07-2015, 1:56 AM
+1 on buying router bits as you need them. In general, you will use only a small percent of the bits so the deal isn't nearly as good as it seems. Also, the quality on lower priced sets is suspect.

glenn bradley
01-07-2015, 8:58 AM
+2 on router bits as you need them. Remembering that most of what you read here is the opinion of the writer; sets yield money spent on profiles you may never use. Whiteside is my go-to whenever possible due to the inexpensive re-sharpening cost. Frued and Amana have also done well for me and Snook's Saw in oregon does a beautiful job of sharpening these. Bargain bits get my business when they are being blown out for a few bucks a bit and they are the profiles I use. I don't expect them to last long and I don't use them on important projects but, they definitely have their uses.

I use brad point bits for most of my woodworking and favor Lee Valley's lipped bits. I have some inexpensive split-point bits from Hitachi that serve me well and are easily resharpened in the shop. I run HSS forstners which I really love after years of using high carbon steel versions. I have a set of cobalt bits for and tough work. All these choices evolved from the 'get it as you need it' approach which allowed me to determine what worked best for me without committing to a whole set of anything until I was sure of what I wanted for the way I work. This saved me money in the long run.

Mike Fusick
01-07-2015, 9:03 AM
I've bought those yonico yellow bits on eBay, they also run a webpage called precision bits. Cheap! But not great.

they are perfect for that one or two use necessity project, but a staple crop you'll use over and over I'd buy something higher quality that will hold its edge longer. They are a great value, but get tired easily.

Rich Engelhardt
01-07-2015, 12:03 PM
I bought an assortment of Ryobi bits - 1/4" shank from Home Depot for $89.00 a number of years ago.
Having the right bit on hand, even though it's a cheapie with a short life, has saved my bacon a ton of times.

Plus having a bunch of different profiles allows you the luxury of creating your own mix & match profiles on the cheap.
When you settle on something, you can always replace the cheap bits with Whiteside or Eagle America.

MLCS has a decent set right now on sale for ~ $120.00.

For something a step up, try Holbren or Cabide Processors - both of which offer a discount to SMC members.

Myk Rian
01-07-2015, 12:21 PM
Like Rich, I bought a set for cheap. 66 bits if I remember. Sure, I haven't used them all, but if I needed something, it was there.
I buy Freud bits to replace them as needed.

Bill Graham
01-07-2015, 9:56 PM
I'm in agreement with the majority opinion on the router bits, buy them as you need them. I personally favor Freud and Whiteside for brands although I have a good number of Amana and Bosch bits in the collection. I really like the Freud Quadra-cuts for edge forming, they work great. If it's something for a one-time use I'll trip down to Rockler or the local big-box and buy whatever's cheapest.

For drill bits, I'd suggest going to MSC (http://www.mscdirect.com/) and signing up for their email and monthly discount newsletters, they offer good-quality bit sets at decent prices. The standard 1/32-1/2 x 1/64 is a good starter set, just wait until they offer a special on a quality brand or their "American-made" sets. Skip the imports. You want the 118-degree jobber bits in HSS, the cobalts are nice and last longer but unless you use every bit in the set every day you'll spend a lot of money for bits that never get used. Figure out which ones you use the most and then buy those in cobalt.

HTH,
Bill