PDA

View Full Version : Pat Barry, Here's the Fish Whacker

Jim Koepke
01-06-2015, 8:24 PM
Hey Jim, Got a picture of that fish whacker? My son uses a mini size baseball bat to do that job - giveaway item from a baseball game. Curious about what you came up with.

Instead of this getting lost in the Oak thread it seemed starting a new thread for fish clubs might be in order if we don't have to move it into the Turner's Forum.

Mentioned to my neighbor about my forgetting to take a picture of his fish whacker before giving it to him. So he came by my shop today so it could be photographed.

I may have pulled it out of the denatured alcohol too early since it has developed a small crack at the fat end. He says it doesn't bother him at all. He just hopes he can catch some fish this year to give it a try.

He was curious about the shop and mentioned he didn't see many electric cords except on the lamps. :D

jtk

John Powers
01-06-2015, 9:02 PM
I think the Brits call it a priest. Administers the last rights.

Winton Applegate
01-07-2015, 12:00 AM
While on the bicycle, riding home in the dark on a county road with no street lights I have felt the hot breath of a couple of local canines :confused: :eek: that could be improved with the application of such a fine attitude adjuster. ;)

I might go a tad longer though. I knew I should be wearing a light on the front of my helmet for ? S O M E ? reason. Doggy training sessions. :D

Jim Koepke
01-07-2015, 1:40 AM
local canines that could be improved with the application of such a fine attitude adjuster.

I might go a tad longer though.

In my days of cycling we always carried a tire pump. Those were pretty good persuaders.

A squirt from the water bottle can also adjust their intentions.

jtk

Winton Applegate
01-07-2015, 3:53 AM
In my days of cycling we always carried a tire pump. Those were pretty good persuaders.

A squirt from the water bottle can also adjust their intentions.

True . . . true

Ha, ha
Have you seen what people carry now for tire inflation ? Either this little eight inch long useless pump or a CO2 cartridge type inflator.
I suppose one could let Mr Nashalot chomp down on a CO2 cartridge and do a puffer fish impersonation.

Oh and it was about six degrees the other night riding home so IF I had any reason to take a water bottle on a twenty minute ride she would have been froze up. I have had rubber gloves in my bike bag that feel like potato chips at the end of the ride.

But I know what you are saying. I wouldn't really play polo with wags.
Besides it is too much fun when they come running out to chase me and wind up with me chasing them some times on foot.

I once chased a repeat offender (slow learner) through an apartment building and up three flights of stairs to cower in the corner at the top. Mr. attacks a lot didn't try to chase me down the street any more after that.

Ahhhhhhh good times.

I have had bikes bent beyond repair and nearly had my neck broke more than once by dogs running loose and colliding with me at high speed so I do not take it lightly when owners repeatedly let their animals run loose.

Andrew Kertesz
01-07-2015, 5:31 AM
Can you really call it a pet if it runs loose? People with cats are the worst, saying they have several pet cats but "I leave them out" so they can run. Not really a pet at that point in my opinion.

Jim Matthews
01-07-2015, 7:04 AM
Can you really call it a pet if it runs loose? People with cats are the worst, saying they have several pet cats but "I leave them out" so they can run. Not really a pet at that point in my opinion.

Free range protein supply?
"Swerve and serve" ?

Pat Barry
01-07-2015, 7:43 AM
Thanks Jim. That's a heck of a nice fish whacker. I like the way you made the handle grip. That looks like it would nicely do the job. I think that also might be nice to have in the vehicle in case of trouble.

Jim Koepke
01-07-2015, 11:46 AM
I think that also might be nice to have in the vehicle in case of trouble.

When I mentioned that to my neighbor he said, "yeah, incase I run out of bullets."

jtk

Winton Applegate
01-07-2015, 12:53 PM
Can you really call it a pet if it runs loose? . . . cats

No . . . little know fact . . . God invented cats because he loved playing with catapults and needed plentiful ammo that made that nice screaming sound as it comes in.

Yah funny you should mention that.
The last major cartwheel I took (literally / no kidding) was a huge cat hit my front wheel coming out at light speed from under a car. My wheel turned sideways instantly. I only saw the cat after I was on the way to the pavement.

Took a year or more before I could lift my left leg right at the hip.

As I have said here before. There is still strong argument for the employment of catapults in this our modern day society.

I prefer carnaba wax on the release mechanism but some say PAM is the way to go.

Winton Applegate
01-07-2015, 1:03 PM
yeah, incase I run out of bullets."

Jim,
I think I saw you in your car !
You had a little sticker on your bumper that said. "Keep honking . . . I'm reloading".