PDA

View Full Version : Bench Plane Restoration Creeker?

John McBride
01-06-2015, 7:31 PM
Hi all,
I was searching here for a post that mentioned a fellow Creeker that regularly restored/fettled bench planes and that they could be purchased from him reasonably(reasonably as compared to LN-LV planes).

Who is this master of the old iron, and how would an aspiring Neander get in touch in an effort to begin his slide down the bench plane slippery slope?

Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S. Just a screen name is plenty info for me as I can figure out how to contact if there are any forum rules precluding giving out contact info...thanks!

John McBride
01-06-2015, 7:49 PM
Could I be thinking of Roy Griggs?

Stew Denton
01-06-2015, 8:11 PM
Hi John,

Tom Bussey flattens the soles of planes, and does a superb job of it. Other Creekers have mentioned buying planes from Tom, that turned out to be superb. Tom is also called Table Saw Tom at times, but he goes by Tom Bussey on Sawmill Creek.

I would contact Tom.

Stew

Jim Koepke
01-06-2015, 8:33 PM
+1 on contacting Tom.

I fettle planes for my own use, but haven't really been doing much on this for a while. Mostly if it works well with a sharp blade I am happy. Some like a plane to look like it just came out of the box. I show my age, so should my planes.

I don't like my 120 year old planes looking younger than me.

jtk

John McBride
01-06-2015, 8:35 PM
Thanks guys. I'll look Tom up. I too dont need "new looking" planes. But I wouldn't mind having Tom give some eBay purchases the once over. Or, buy some from him outright.....thanks again for the help.

Joe A Faulkner
01-07-2015, 6:28 PM
John, if you want to buy outright, consider becoming a contributor ($6 a year) here and then go to the classified section and post a WTB (want to buy) item and describe what you are after. You likely will get several responses.

steven c newman
01-07-2015, 6:39 PM
Don Wilwol does a pretty good job as well

I also reburbish vintage planes, mainly to work in my shop...