PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed on Moving a Unisaw

Andrew Ault
07-22-2005, 2:24 PM
Firstly, I'd like to saw how much I've enjoyed this place. You guys rock. I've learned more here than I could ever have imagined. I've always done a little woodworking and now I'm able to afford the time, space and money to improve my equipment and do more. I plan to remodel the kitchen in our 50's tract house in the Clairemont community of San Diego, so I've been building skills and amassing tools for this purpose.

I was able to get a really good price on a (barely) used 3hp Unisaw with a 50" Biesemeyer and mobile base (good, as I have half a two car garage to work in).

I need to move it from it's current location. I may hire this out, but I might be able to swing it with a couple of friends (though I am loathe to ask friends to move something this heavy).

Any advise on moving this saw would be greatly appreciated.

-Andy

Jim Becker
07-22-2005, 2:40 PM
Remove the wings and the motor, but NOT the top. (It has critical shims under one or more corner bolts that you don't want to disturb) Two people can then easily lift the machine into your vehicle for transport.

Tom Jones III
07-22-2005, 2:46 PM
I bought a PM 66 from a local store (The Cutting Edge, Houston, a great store). The two guys who delivered it used one of these
http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/index.cfm?area=shop&action=detail&iid=10674
The description is
DSLT-770, Double Scissors, 51-1/8" Max Ht, Quick-Lift Pump, 770-lb. Cap'y
They left the cart on the ground and raised it to the level of their truck bed. Then the slowly walked the saw back onto the lift while I held the lift still. Then the lowered the lift, rolled it near the mobile base. Finally, the tilted the lift over and let the saw slowly slide into the mobile base. The whole process was incredibly slick, but also very simple.

Andrew Ault
07-22-2005, 2:47 PM
Thanks, Jim. I guess I'm a little afraid of the weight even without the wings, based on the shipping weight quoted on the Delta site. I guess I'll ask my beefy cousin to help me heft it...after we get the shell off my pickup or rent a truck. The seller said he'd help, too.

I imagine I'll need to lift it with straps running under the base.

Andrew Ault
07-22-2005, 2:52 PM
Tom, that thing would be great for getting shipments from Grizzly! :) When I ordered my bandsaw I was sweating how to get it off the truck when it arrived. But, they sent it via a Fed Ex semi with a liftgate and the driver rolled it right into my garage. Boy, that was a nice surprise.

Don Baer
07-22-2005, 2:53 PM
Go to your local rental yard and rent a mobile engine hoist for the day. They are fairly cheap and can easily lift the saw.

Bob Johnson2
07-22-2005, 2:55 PM
Mine came somewhat bolted down to a broken skid. Had no problems with just 2 of us and a good furniture dolly, the kind with a good strap that rachets and had the stair rollers on the back. As Jim said, remove the motor, extension wings, and the rails and you won't have a problem. The motor comes off very easily. I'd pick up a small skid somewhere to put in on even if you can't bolt it down, this would save the bottom from getting beat up if you go the hand truck route.

Jim Becker
07-22-2005, 3:07 PM
I'll add that I actually moved my Jet LT cabinet saw to my shop myself with a borrowed small, inexpensive hydaulic lift table/dolly like the ones that Keigh Outten uses in his shop for a bunch of things. It raised and lowered the pallet off the back of the pickup with no problem. I just locked the wheels and rocked the thing on on the lift and then off. I was able to back the pickup right up to the shop to do this, however.

Richard Hash
07-22-2005, 5:06 PM
3hp Unisaw with a 50" Biesemeyer and mobile base

If it's already on a mobile base, rent a truck with a tailgate lift and it's a piece of cake. You basically roll it on, lock it, lift, unlock, roll onto truck and then vice-versa when you get there.

For those with long memories, I had a post long ago about a moving company that tried to move mine on a skate, and it tipped over (with a BANG) onto it's face, breaking off the switch box. I was moving it into storage at the time.

When it came time to move it to its new location, I rented the tailgate lift truck, it was not expensive and made moving it trivial.

Good luck.

Andrew Ault
07-22-2005, 5:20 PM
These are useful ideas, thank-you.

The saw is in a garage off a conrete alley that the city re-sloped. Consequently, there is a step up from the garage to the alley. So, I think it will need to be disassembled to be moved.

As it stands now, I'll remove the fence, table and wings and (thanks, Jim) leave the top on the saw. I'll try to recruit a couple of friends (including my sturdy cousin) and lift the saw up onto the alley. Then we'll either lift it into the truck or use a liftgate (heaven).

I guess I'll download the manual and try to see what fasteners are used for the table, fence and wings so I know which tools to take along.

Boy, I can't wait to get it assembled. It's been a long time using a portable tablesaw.

Again, I really appreciate the ideas.

Bart Leetch
07-22-2005, 5:35 PM
Take the wings & fence off let your tail gate clear down with a pad under it to keep from scraping it on the bumper. Take a pad or carpet scrap & put it in the truck bed & let it drape on down over your tail gate. Now set the saw on a piece of plywood on a furniture dolly. The carpeted kind with 4 casters & using a ratchet strap put a pad on the saw top & strap the dolly plywood & saw all together. Now roll it over to the truck & tip the back against the carpet on the tail gate & start pushing it in until you get the saw most of the way into the truck now with one person in the truck & the other at the bottom of the saw finish sliding it into the truck.

I reversed this by my self at home & easily unloaded the saw & rolled it into the shop.

You just have to think simple. I did this after rehabbing & painting this 1953 saw.

JayStPeter
07-22-2005, 5:40 PM
You can remove the top. Just keep track of the shims and where they go for reassembly. Be careful as they like to stick to different pieces. Lift each corner and peel them off if they are there. Check and mark everything carefully and you won't have any problems.

My Unisaw had no shims. My buddies Grizzly had a few. I disassembled and reassembled each and they both work great.

Jay

Andrew Ault
07-22-2005, 5:41 PM
Thanks, Bart.

Did you transport the saw on its side or upright?

Andrew Ault
07-22-2005, 5:44 PM
Thanks Jay. If we need to remove the top I'll mark the shims and top.

Also, I'll need to learn how to do so if I am to remove the top.