PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing Teak table top - Can I use Poly?

Mike Dowell
01-06-2015, 2:21 PM
I may be refinishing a Teak dining table. The customers' primary concern is durability with kids - she asked for the toughest finish imaginable. I was wondering if I can use poly? Or is there something tougher and easier to apply(I hate waiting on the dry time with poly)?

I know Teak has a wax in it so I'm on high alert as to what is a safe finish process to use.

Thanks!

Andrew Pitonyak
01-06-2015, 4:11 PM
This may be of interest:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?52927-Polyurethane-and-teak

Be sure to let us know what you finally choose.

Never having done it, I would probably consider something like Behlen's Rockhard table top finish but wipe it first with something like mineral spirits because of the oil in the wood. I would for sure use an oil based product if I could.

scott vroom
01-06-2015, 4:12 PM
I may be refinishing a Teak dining table. The customers' primary concern is durability with kids - she asked for the toughest finish imaginable. I was wondering if I can use poly? Or is there something tougher and easier to apply(I hate waiting on the dry time with poly)?

I know Teak has a wax in it so I'm on high alert as to what is a safe finish process to use.

Thanks!

The toughest finish I've applied is General Finishes Conversion Varnish....sprayed it on a sapele desktop. It is HARD.

The toughest poly I've used is General Finishes Enduro Clear Poly....it's my go to spray for cabinets. Meets KCMA std including chemical resistance.

Both of the above are water based products.

I would not go with General Finishes High Performance Poly for that project....it's not as durable as the Enduro poly.

John TenEyck
01-06-2015, 5:27 PM
I would go with Scott's recommendation on the post catalyzed Enduro Conversion Varnish. You could give General Finishes Tech Support folks a call to find out what they recommend for applying it to teak, maybe it's fine alone or maybe they recommend a particular sealer first. It's an acrylic/polyurethane blend and is very, very hard and durable. It also dries very quickly; you would be done in one or two days and the table ready to use in a week or so. Your only limitation is that it has to be sprayed and the minimum application and cure temp. is probably at least 60F. (Curious, it's not listed on their website info. for the product.)

John

Mike Dowell
01-06-2015, 8:22 PM
Thank you both. General Finishes seems to be very popular in general. (no pun intended - I SWEAR)

scott vroom
01-06-2015, 8:54 PM
Thank you both. General Finishes seems to be very popular in general. (no pun intended - I SWEAR)

I think in General folks are pleased with their Finishes. :p

Lee Schierer
01-06-2015, 10:42 PM
Teak is pretty hard and durable all on its own. I'm not sure it really needs a finish other than maybe some teak oil to protect it from anything that kids might spill on it. I have seen teak on boats exposed to all sorts of water, weather and abuse and it still looks good.

scott vroom
01-07-2015, 12:05 PM
Teak is pretty hard and durable all on its own. I'm not sure it really needs a finish other than maybe some teak oil to protect it from anything that kids might spill on it. I have seen teak on boats exposed to all sorts of water, weather and abuse and it still looks good.

But have you seen teak exposed to ketchup, mustard, blueberry juice, red wine, pepperoni pizza, and coffee?

Mike Null
01-07-2015, 1:36 PM
Given your customer's wishes I'd be inclined to use polyurethane varnish. I put it on an oak kitchen table I made nearly 20 years ago and after multiple uses daily it still looks pretty good though I think I will refinish it this year.

Rich Engelhardt
01-08-2015, 1:49 AM
Never having done it, I would probably consider something like Behlen's Rockhard table top finish Just as an FYI --Behlen's is now a poly. It's been reformulated as of about a year ago.

Lesley Matson
08-19-2020, 12:27 PM
Scott, I know this thread is 5 years old but for a teal table would you use either of those General Finishes products in flat, or stick to satin? Thanks!