PDA

View Full Version : New One-Time-Tool Offer!

Derek Arita
01-06-2015, 10:30 AM
No..this is not a commercial. I looked everywhere for one of these Woodpecker Squares a couple of years ago. I got lucky and found a used one. It's been one of my most used tools both for set up of my Festool table and for checking squareness on scraps. Since I already own the 26", I'm going for the 18". Compared to a friends 24" Starrett, my WP shows no lite along the edges. Just wanted to let you guys know...no affiliation.
Now, for that 6' Starrett straight edge...

George Bokros
01-06-2015, 10:44 AM
You had to wet my appetite. I wanted one of these before but was hesitant because of price. Hmm....now I may just have to get one.

Dale Murray
01-06-2015, 11:35 AM
Not to be a jerk about it but it seems to me it would be relatively easy to get a really good framing square and add cheeks to it.

I am not against buying high quality tools but sometimes the price is prohibitive.

eugene thomas
01-06-2015, 11:44 AM
I like high quality tools and do have some of the one time stuff but $200 FOR framing square....

Derek Arita
01-06-2015, 11:48 AM
Yeah, the price is high. That said, I cant explain well enough, just how dead on this square is. I've had framing squares that I've trued up, but these WP squares are no comparison. These are more like precision Starrets, on a large scale, at a much lower price. I gotta say, for a Festool table owner, it's a must-have setup tool. I use it to check squareness in larger boards all the time.
Like I sais, I have no stake in this. I'm just love accuracy and this thing is guaranteed accurate.

Matt Day
01-06-2015, 11:57 AM
I just saw these as well. I've been looking for a large precision square for a while, but can't stomach dropping that kind of money for one.

Craig Behnke
01-06-2015, 12:02 PM
To square up the fences on my slider table saw I looked for a used WP 2616 square but didn't find one. Instead I found something that does the trick AND it has additional angle setting features. It's a 24 x 16 precision square made by Lamb Tool Works and it's made with dowel holes to also set angles at degrees of 5, 10, 15, 20 22.5, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45. It also has ability to register against the edge of a work surface (see page 7 of the user manual online) for 90 degree references.

I'm not affiliated with Lamb in any way. I simply found their website when I googled for precisions squares and I just purchased their square but I haven't used it yet, so I can't comment on the quality/precision. I just wanted to pass along the info that I found an alternative to the large Woodpecker's square.

here is the website link:
http://www.lambtoolworks.com/products.html

Craig Behnke
01-06-2015, 12:08 PM
sometimes the price is prohibitive.

Agree with you Dale, some tools are so dang expensive. sometimes it takes me a while to save the money to buy a super high quality tool, but 99% of the time I love using the tool and it helps me to produce better results than my weak WW skills would suggest.

Dave Novak
01-06-2015, 12:10 PM
I see folks claim that precision isn't important in woodworking because the wood's going to move anyway. Well, I get that, but have you ever cut the pieces necessary to assemble something, say a cabinet with drawers for example, and discovered your parts aren't perfectly square? That's a mess.

Derek Arita
01-06-2015, 12:12 PM
To square up the fences on my slider table saw I looked for a used WP 2616 square but didn't find one. Instead I found something that does the trick AND it has additional angle setting features. It's a 24 x 16 precision square made by Lamb Tool Works and it's made with dowel holes to also set angles at degrees of 5, 10, 15, 20 22.5, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45. It also has ability to register against the edge of a work surface (see page 7 of the user manual online) for 90 degree references.

I'm not affiliated with Lamb in any way. I simply found their website when I googled for precisions squares and I just purchased their square but I haven't used it yet, so I can't comment on the quality/precision. I just wanted to pass along the info that I found an alternative to the large Woodpecker's square.

Craig, nice find. I really like the Indicator Holder. I've got a OneWay, but sometimes find the holder a bit short. If the triangle is dead 90* and the sides are straight, it looks like it would do the job. I had a similar precision triangle, from another manufacturer, that turned out to be not that precise.

Joe Cowan
01-06-2015, 12:21 PM
Call me crazy, but I ordered one. This is a serious hobby for me, and nice fancy looking tools just add to the pleasure.

Myk Rian
01-06-2015, 12:33 PM
I see folks claim that precision isn't important in woodworking because the wood's going to move anyway. Well, I get that, but have you ever cut the pieces necessary to assemble something, say a cabinet with drawers for example, and discovered your parts aren't perfectly square? That's a mess.
No. Not when I made my tool chest. A plastic drafting square works fine.

George Bokros
01-06-2015, 12:55 PM

This is a pricey tool also. It may have additional use over the WP square but it seems like it requires some set up to insure it is square. The WP square can be used for checking squareness of cabinets also that this would not be quite as handy to use for IMHO.

Don't forget that Carbide Processors is Creek friendly and also offers free shipping on orders over $150. So the in your shop price is less than from Woodpeckers.

George

Craig Behnke
01-06-2015, 1:18 PM
Craig, nice find.I had a similar precision triangle, from another manufacturer, that turned out to be not that precise.

Agreed, if it's accurate it'll be a nice tool, but given I have no experience with their stuff, you never know until you get your hands on the product.

I'll try to post a product review after I get a chance to run it through its paces.

Craig Behnke
01-06-2015, 1:26 PM
in your shop price is less than from Woodpeckers.

George

That happens to me quite often, I search for something, can't find it, then a day or two after I buy an alternative, the thing I was first looking for is available. too funny. if you ever want WP to do another run of a one time tool, let me know and I'll buy a substitute product,...then a few days later WP will announce its availability again.

Phil Barrett
01-06-2015, 1:43 PM
No. Not when I made my tool chest. A plastic drafting square works fine.

It's kind of funny. The plastic drafting square is just as accurate as a super high end square. I've used them and been happy with the results. They're not so sturdy but so inexpensive they are almost disposable.

Carbide Processors
01-06-2015, 2:16 PM
Thank you for the mention George. We're big fans of the Creek and offer 10% off for Creekers with coupon code: creekers.

-Whitney

This is a pricey tool also. It may have additional use over the WP square but it seems like it requires some set up to insure it is square. The WP square can be used for checking squareness of cabinets also that this would not be quite as handy to use for IMHO.

Don't forget that Carbide Processors is Creek friendly and also offers free shipping on orders over $150. So the in your shop price is less than from Woodpeckers.

George

John Sanford
01-06-2015, 4:23 PM
That happens to me quite often, I search for something, can't find it, then a day or two after I buy an alternative, the thing I was first looking for is available. too funny. if you ever want WP to do another run of a one time tool, let me know and I'll buy a substitute product,...then a few days later WP will announce its availability again.

Craig, we thank you for jumping on the grenade for the rest of us. There are some folks over in the model railroad realm who suffer from a similar malady. They'll go years waiting for someone to manufacture a particular piece of rolling stock or roadname/paint scheme, and finally give up and kitbash/scratchbuild/custom paint one themselves, and then shortly thereafter one (or more) of the manufacturers will announce production. ;)

Ray Newman
01-06-2015, 5:35 PM
"...seems to me it would be relatively easy to get a really good framing square and add cheeks to it."
--Dale Murray

Lee Valley has such an "add-on". US$23.50 +S/H.http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,42936,42944&p=44624

George Bokros
01-06-2015, 5:44 PM
You can use stair gauges to accomplish the same thing and they are less expensive.

mark kosse
01-06-2015, 8:38 PM
I love nice tools. Every time I see their one time stuff I drool. Then I look at the price and go on with my life. If you buy both squares and add an additional 21.00 you get a honest to goodness MDF case with them.

MDF? Come on man.

no offense to anyone here. I'm glad you all can afford them.

Dale Murray
01-06-2015, 11:45 PM
I was telling my wife about this tonight at dinner. She is an editor and did not understand how absurdly different the cost is until I gave her this analogy; "you as an editor use a blue pen. You like your unibal pens, could you ever justify a $200 Mont Blanc to edit an article?"

Her response was, "No. I just need a pen that works."

One thing about this thread, it really makes the Chappell squares seem quite reasonably priced.

John Hollaway
01-06-2015, 11:52 PM
I too love nice tools. But, after looking at the price of this square, I zipped over to Lee Valley's site where I remembered seeing their framing square fence. Also checked out their stainless steel carpenter's square, which I believe boasts the same accuracy as the WP, and ordered both pieces. I expect I'll be smilin', all the way to the bank.

Art Mann
01-07-2015, 12:23 AM
Call me crazy, but I ordered one. This is a serious hobby for me, and nice fancy looking tools just add to the pleasure.

Okay, I'll do it. I think $200+ for a precision square is crazy. I only have so many resources to devote to this particular hobby and the cost just precludes any purchase by me.

Vijay Kumar
01-07-2015, 12:46 AM
Thank you for the mention George. We're big fans of the Creek and offer 10% off for Creekers with coupon code: creekers.

-Whitney

Does your discount apply to sale items also? And free shipping over $ 150?

Derek Arita
01-07-2015, 9:35 AM
I guess for me, I enjoy tinkering with my machines as much as I enjoy working wood. I get just as much enjoyment from a finely tuned, well working machine as from a nice piece of wood. I guess that's why I love precision instruments that allow me to fine tune my machines. I really think of it as a challenge to get those machines as close to perfectly tuned as I can get them. That's just part of the fun for me.

Myk Rian
01-07-2015, 12:00 PM
And when you're gone it'll sell for $10 at the estate sale. :D

Mike Cutler
01-07-2015, 1:20 PM
I'll give a shameless plug here.
I'm pretty certain that Keith Outten can turn out a setup square with his equipment, if he's still doing that type of work. One that's accuracy would be expressed in software data bits and baud rate.

A number of years ago I was going to have him make me a 5' French curve. Never did get it made because that project fell through, but I should have done it. I still need a large french curve at times.

PS
Derek
That square is a beautiful piece of workmanship. Speaking as someone that has access to a NIST traceable mechanical standards lab, it's worth the $$$$ you paid for it. The savings will come over time by the reduction of raw material waste due to inaccurate machine/equipment setup.
Just never loan it to anyone. ;)

Derek Arita
01-07-2015, 1:52 PM
Thanks Mike. When I see guys like Charles Ng adjusting his cross cut sled to 5 cut within .001, I figure there must be value in accuracy for woodworking.

Matt Day
01-07-2015, 3:40 PM
I'll give a shameless plug here.
I'm pretty certain that Keith Outten can turn out a setup square with his equipment, if he's still doing that type of work. One that's accuracy would be expressed in software data bits and baud rate.

Is that true Keith? Sign me up if you could do this. I'd love having an 18" accurate square around.

Lee Ludden
01-07-2015, 10:33 PM
I have had mine for nearly two years (since they were originally offered as a one time tool). It is very solid and dead on accurate.

Joe Cowan
01-08-2015, 10:29 AM
Okay, I'll do it. I think $200+ for a precision square is crazy. I only have so many resources to devote to this particular hobby and the cost just precludes any purchase by me.

Still crazy, but it cost $149 if I remember correctly. Still too much for a square.

Mark Blatter
01-08-2015, 10:43 AM
And when you're gone it'll sell for $10 at the estate sale. :D

And the person that buys it will show up on The Creek with tool gloat!