PDA

View Full Version : Turning Smock??

Ed Lang
07-22-2005, 12:01 PM
Do you use a smock when turning? If so, do you like it? Where did you get it?

Thanks.

Fred Ray
07-22-2005, 12:41 PM
Yes. Yes. AAW.

http://www.woodturner.org/products/logoprods/

Mine is the older style. The new style appears to be a nice improvement. Especially the vented underarms. There are lots of them out there at all kinds of prices. This is what I bought, and I like it.:)

Jack Savona
07-22-2005, 2:27 PM
I use a nylon windbraker with a full front zipper, elastic cuffs, and turtleneck-style collar that I got at the Salvation Army store for $2.99. Very pleased with it...that is when my generally-cool cellar (er...studio) temperature allows me to wear it. Now it's t-shirt & shorts. Take the shirt off and shake it out before heading upstairs. Also a squirt from the air-compressor with the dust mask on.

Jack

Matthew Clarke
07-22-2005, 2:57 PM
I also use the AAW smock. You can also purchase one from Packard Woodworks.

Jim Becker
07-22-2005, 3:11 PM
I prefer the Packard Woodworks smocks for turning...they have a nice comfortable knit collar that seals the neck line better than any other I've tried and they have two versions; sleaved and sleaveless for different season comfort.

John Miliunas
07-22-2005, 6:30 PM
I'm with Jim B. on this one. I have the same one (I believe that was on HIS recommendation, as well!:) ) and I agree that it's a very nice smock and comfy, too.:) Sleeveless for me, year round.:cool:

W.C. Turner
07-22-2005, 6:52 PM
Jim B., did you get the smock with or without sleeves?

Thanks,

Bruce Shiverdecker
07-22-2005, 10:02 PM
Mine is a "Clean Room" jacket that I got from a uniform shop. It snaps up to the neck, then, it uses velcro to close up the neck. The cuffs have knitted openings. No wood shavings get inside and it's comfortable. Cost was about $35.00.

Bruce

Earl Eyre
07-23-2005, 1:18 AM
I tried a smock but felt too inhibited and too hot. Now I just use a woodworking apron and t-shirt, let the pockets fill up with shavings and dump it out once in a while. The apron keeps the bulk of the shavings off of me and when I'm through for the day I just clean myself up with the air compressor. Quick, easy, comfortable.
Earl

Chris Barton
07-23-2005, 10:56 AM
I have a smock from Lee Valley and it is very good at keeping the chips off but, it is long sleeved and a bit warm. Mine is cotten/polyester blend but, I have seen some with half sleeves and made out of nylon or other synthetic blend that look cooler and less restrictive while accomplishing essentially the same result. A perfect smock would be one of the Tyvek surgical scrub gowns that hospitals use. I plan to ask one of my collegues to save one (not blood drenched) for me and give it a try. If you don't try to wash them they last a very long time, are breathable and extremely light.

Chris

Steve Roxberg
07-23-2005, 10:34 PM
Do you use a smock when turning? If so, do you like it? Where did you get it?

Thanks.

Just bought one from the AAW at the show. Love it so far, I was able to fit them on and the vented underarms should be nice. I also liked the weight.

If you pick one up from Packard Woodworks make sure you read my thread on an offer they have available. 10% off, free shipping, and a free diamond hone.

Bill Stevener
07-23-2005, 11:03 PM
A perfect smock would be one of the Tyvek surgical scrub gowns that hospitals use. I plan to ask one of my collegues to save one (not blood drenched) for me and give it a try. If you don't try to wash them they last a very long time, are breathable and extremely light.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I have worn Tyvek for a number of years working in the nuclear industry. Agree, will last for some time, cheep, and very light. However, very, very hot.

Bill..>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Blake McCully
07-25-2005, 7:47 AM
My nephew is a chef and when he went into administration, rather than the kitchen, he gave me a bunch of his chef's smocks. The front overlaps and it buttons up to the neck. Works great and the price was right.

Steve Rowe
07-25-2005, 10:03 AM
Both my wife and I have the AAW smock and like it. Very lightweight. I looked at other smocks at the AAW Symposium and everything else had a much heavier material.

Steve

Ray Wishart
07-25-2005, 10:34 AM
I would like to get a "real" smock someday but I worry about the heat factor. Even though my studio has good AC it is still Florida! I typically wear jeans and t-shirts in the studio, and when I turn I pull on a long-sleeved t-shirt over my other shirt. Does a good job and is fairly cool, but I do get tired of pulling it over my head all the time. Other good news is that I paid maybe $6 or $7 each for them at Wally World with typical tourist stuff printed on them.

Aaron Koehl
07-25-2005, 2:26 PM
I thought the standard was to wear a turning smock made of wood chips; usually takes a couple of minutes to put it on after you switch on the lathe.