PDA

View Full Version : Making memories while teaching turning.

Tim Browne
01-06-2015, 9:49 AM
I talked my grandson into making Christmas gifts for his mom and grandma. This was his first time at the lathe but I don't think it'll be the last. We used a poplar dowel to learn beads and coves (after lessons in safety of course) using a spindle gouge and some carbide tools. Then he picked his projects, selected the wood blanks and created the designs which we drew roughly on paper. He did every process from start to finish with only verbal guidance from me. I never touched the wood because I wanted him to have the pride of knowing it was all him.
I had to "recreate" the process in photo's afterward because I was too engrossed in what we were doing.

Seam ripper in red palm and chrome for mom.
Stylus in quilted maple and chrome with purple tip for grandma.

Robert Willing
01-06-2015, 10:03 AM
I talked my grandson into making Christmas gifts for his mom and grandma. This was his first time at the lathe but I don't think it'll be the last. We used a poplar dowel to learn beads and coves (after lessons in safety of course) using a spindle gouge and some carbide tools. Then he picked his projects, selected the wood blanks and created the designs which we drew roughly on paper. He did every process from start to finish with only verbal guidance from me. I never touched the wood because I wanted him to have the pride of knowing it was all him.
I had to "recreate" the process in photo's afterward because I was too engrossed in what we were doing.

Seam ripper in red palm and chrome for mom.
Stylus in quilted maple and chrome with purple tip for grandma.

I'll bet that was a fantastic experience! You gave me inspiration for something to do when my grandsons come to the UP of Michigan to visit, maybe even the granddaughters. Thanks for sharing.

Steve Schlumpf
01-06-2015, 10:25 AM
Congrats! Looks like he did a really nice job on both projects! So far, none of my kids or grandkids have any interest in turning or woodworking but I still hope that may change in the future.

Robert - what part of the UP are you in?