PDA

View Full Version : Help with angle wheel on Delta Unisaw

Benjamin Brown
01-05-2015, 10:38 PM
Hey all,

Hoping someone can help me with an unexpected problem I'm having.

I have a mid-80's Delta Unisaw, which I bought used. The previous user removed the splitter and blade guard, and so I bought the 34-976 Unisaw blade guard and installed it. One of the steps was to turn the tilt 45 degrees to make sure the blade doesn't come in contact with the guard. Anyways, after I finished installing the guard I went to reset the blade to 90 degrees and.. it was stuck. Couldn't budge it no matter how much I tug and strain and pull. Not the tiniest bit of movement. I began questioning to myself that I was supposed to turn the wheel counterclockwise and did some testing clockwise but after doing some research I'm relatively sure that I'm supposed to go counter clockwise with the wheel.

Could anyone with a right-tilt 80's-era unisaw validate to me that I'm supposed to move counter clockwise? Anyone have any suggestions for me to loosen up the wheel? It's very, very stuck and I have banged some with a rubber mallet and wedged some hardwood in there and tried leveraging it but it just isn't moving more than half an inch or so. Its weird because I didn't force it super-tight when I set it for 45 degrees and I feel like it turned smoothly.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-05-2015, 11:00 PM
Benjamin......according to two different right tilt Unisaw manuals including the one at this link http://www.deltamachineryparts.com/documents/instruction_manuals/En%20422-04-651-0064.pdf turning the hand wheel CW takes it to 90º and turning it CCW tilts it to the right

Benjamin Brown
01-05-2015, 11:01 PM
Benjamin......according to two different right tilt Unisaw manuals including the one at this link http://www.deltamachineryparts.com/documents/instruction_manuals/En%20422-04-651-0064.pdf turning the hand wheel CW takes it to 90º and turning it CCW tilts it to the right

Oh boy. That is bad news. Thank you for the quick response, Ken.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-05-2015, 11:08 PM
Benjamin....what is the model number of your saw? With a model number we can hopefully find out for sure. With a model number we might be able to find the exact applicable manual. With that I might be able to give you some assistance in remedying the problem.

The problem may not be as bad as you might think but it would be a big help if we could find the corresponding manual.

Benjamin Brown
01-05-2015, 11:11 PM
Benjamin....what is the model number of your saw? With a model number we can hopefully find out for sure.

The problem may not be as bad as you might think but it would be a big help if we could find the corresponding manual.

Sure, anything that might help - it is a 34-802

Ken Fitzgerald
01-05-2015, 11:20 PM
We need to do some more research.

For a model 34-801, turning CCW takes it to 90º. I'll get back to you in a minute Benjamin.

Benjamin Brown
01-05-2015, 11:24 PM
We need to do some more research.

For a model 34-801, turning CCW takes it to 90º. I'll get back to you in a minute Benjamin.

Well I'm glad I didn't run off jamming it the other way at least ;) Thanks again Ken

Ken Fitzgerald
01-05-2015, 11:29 PM
Benjamin,

Here's a link to the 34-802 manual at the Delta service center http://www.deltamachineryparts.com/documents/instruction_manuals/En422-04-651-0039.pdf .

On page 19 it describes raising the blade and tilting the blade. According to it, turn the hand wheel CW to go to 90º.

Out of curiosity and no insult intended, you do have the angle lock loosened?

Benjamin Brown
01-05-2015, 11:43 PM
Benjamin,

Here's a link to the 34-802 manual at the Delta service center http://www.deltamachineryparts.com/documents/instruction_manuals/En422-04-651-0039.pdf .

On page 19 it describes raising the blade and tilting the blade. According to it, turn the hand wheel CW to go to 90º.

Out of curiosity and no insult intended, you do have the angle lock loosened?

None taken, I've made my share of stupid mistakes in my life so were the problem this easy I would be happy. But yes, I have it completely loosened, even having taken it completely out of the wheel to see if there was something maybe jammed in there.

It's funny, I have that manual already I guess I misread it. Any advice on loosening it up? Any suggestions on a way to get some leverage on it?

Ken Fitzgerald
01-06-2015, 12:12 AM
First, out of the interest of safety, disconnect all power while you work on this problem!

Looking at the parts breakdown at one of the parts websites, it would appear that the worm gear on the end of the tilt shaft is hung on a tooth on the trunnion. Where a tooth would on the trunnion would normally mate into the gap between teeth on the worm gear, now they are mated tooth to tooth and jammed.

I don't know how much that trunnion weighs or how much force might be on it right now. It could react rather dramatically when the pressure is released. Be careful!

The first thing I would do is simply try pulling or pushing on the tilt handle and see if things loosen up allowing you to use it normally. It's possible the shaft has simply shifted allowing the worm gear to move and bind on the teeth on the trunnion.

If that doesn't work, gain access to the trunnion and see what is happening between the teeth on the trunnion and the worm gear on the tilt shaft.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-06-2015, 12:17 AM
BTW....here's a link to a parts breakdown http://www.ereplacementparts.com/images/delta/34-802_Type_2.pdf