PDA

View Full Version : Where to display ones work online?

Tim Boger
01-05-2015, 7:32 PM
I've got to the point that occasionally a prospective customer asks to see a range of my turnings, sending a 1-2 dozen pictures via email seems like a PITA.

What do others here recommend, I've heard of Etsy but know nothing about it yet .... suggestions?

Thanks,
Tim

Mike McCann
01-05-2015, 7:37 PM
I use photobucket to store all my pics. easy to use and send out pictures to your cutomers or they can go to your page and view them

Pat Barry
01-05-2015, 7:41 PM
Facebook??? Also Flickr. Google has a picture storage service.

Mike Henderson
01-05-2015, 7:46 PM
It's easy to set up your own web site if all you're going to do is show pictures of your work. Additionally, people will find your site and contact you based on what they see.

Mike

Shawn Christ
01-05-2015, 7:46 PM
+1 on Facebook, good to showcase your business to potential customers. Etsy would be a good resource if you want to sell your turnings to people outside your area (around the world if you want) -- it specializes in handmade and vintage items.

Tim Boger
01-05-2015, 7:49 PM
Facebook??? Also Flickr. Google has a picture storage service.

Hey Pat,

I have a pretty new personal facebook page currently, my wife thinks a page unique to my work would be a good idea.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Tim Boger
01-05-2015, 7:52 PM
It's easy to set up your own web site if all you're going to do is show pictures of your work. Additionally, people will find your site and contact you based on what they see.

Mike

Mike ... any idea what I would expect to pay for a very basic website?

Mike Henderson
01-05-2015, 8:21 PM
Mike ... any idea what I would expect to pay for a very basic website?
The registration of a name, such as "Mikes-woodwork.com (http://www.mikes-woodwork.com/mikes_projects.htm)" (my web site, sorry for the plug) is about $10/year. For hosting, the figures can go all over the place. I use DreamHost which has a plan for about $9/month but I expect you can find lower cost places. Ask and people here will give you some suggestions.

To put stuff up on the site, I use Microsoft Expression 4 but that's just because I started with it and know it. There are many web editors and you can get recommendations from people here. If you've never done a web site, there's a learning curve but once you get the basics, it's pretty easy for what's called a "static web site".

Mike

Mark Bolton
01-05-2015, 8:24 PM
I use Picasa web albums almost exclusively to work through designs with customers. You can set who can see them and you cant take them down at will.

Steve Schlumpf
01-05-2015, 9:08 PM
Tim,

I just created my own photo gallery here. Any time someone wanted to see more of my work, just gave them the address. Been using it for years.

Tim Boger
01-05-2015, 9:22 PM
Tim,

I just created my own photo gallery here. Any time someone wanted to see more of my work, just gave them the address. Been using it for years.

That makes good sense, thanks Steve,

Don Kondra
01-06-2015, 7:34 AM
Dropbox.com is a free storage site. Once your photo's are uploaded you can "invite" people to view them.

Weebly.com is one of a number of free web site services. If you don't mind having ".weebly.com" as part of the web address it is also free.

For instance, my photography web site address is donkondraproductphotography.weebly.com

Site creation tools are also free and pretty straight forward...

Cheers, Don

Bert Kemp
01-06-2015, 10:07 PM
I use Hover to host my domain name I think its $15 a year and I have a wix website 60 a year so like 6 or 7 bucks a month, wix also has free sites, but for the 60 bucks you get no ads and domain name pointing and mail forwarding. so it looks really good for cheap money..looks like...example would be (JohnSmithwoodworking.com and email John@JohnSmithwoodworking.com)

Tim Boger
01-07-2015, 7:24 AM
Dropbox.com is a free storage site. Once your photo's are uploaded you can "invite" people to view them.

Weebly.com is one of a number of free web site services. If you don't mind having ".weebly.com" as part of the web address it is also free.

For instance, my photography web site address is donkondraproductphotography.weebly.com

Site creation tools are also free and pretty straight forward...

Cheers, Don
Morning Don,

I have some experience (minimum) with drop box, I'll take a closer look.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim Browne
01-07-2015, 8:47 AM
Weebly offers your choice of free or low cost web sites. It's easy to use and you don't have to have your own domain, but you can if you want. My wife and I have been using it for a few months now for our joint website.