PDA

View Full Version : Soft, rubber-like finish

Barry Figgins
01-05-2015, 4:58 PM
I'm looking into building some storage for small miniature figures. I was wondering if there's any kind of wood finish that is smooth and just a little soft, so that it might dampen any wear from the pieces rattling around inside the box.

Edit: I may have answered my own question by finding this clear rubber spray: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasti-Dip-11-oz-Clear-Rubber-Coating-Spray-6-Pack-11209-6/203539263 Does anyone have experience with using it on sanded wood?

scott vroom
01-05-2015, 5:08 PM
I'd be more concerned about the pieces banging into each other. Why not just wrap them individually in tissue?

Don't know anything about that cheap spray on rubber stuff.

Barry Figgins
01-05-2015, 5:11 PM
They're pieces for a board game. Each piece gets its own divided compartment, so they won't be banging into each other, but wrapping them in tissue would slow down the setup/takedown time. I could always cut foam to fit in each slot, but if I can find a spray that's good enough, that'll save a lot of time and labor.

John TenEyck
01-05-2015, 5:17 PM
You might consider lining each compartment with felt instead, or spray flocking into them.

John

Barry Figgins
01-05-2015, 5:22 PM
Flocking is a great suggestion - it didn't come to mind before, but that would definitely give a soft feel! I'll look into that and see if it'll work for me.

scott vroom
01-05-2015, 5:55 PM
I took a closer look at that can in your link....that's the same stuff that my dad used to insulate metal plier grips years ago.....except back in those days it was in a can and you dipped whatever you wanted to coat into the can and then let air dry. If they've figured out a way to spray that same substance then it might be worth a try.