PDA

View Full Version : Maple Bowl DNAA

David Delo
01-05-2015, 4:38 PM
This is a maple bowl 1.5 times turned. Decided to call it my DNAA (Do Not Attempt Again) bowl. Was from a maple log that had more than a zillion different branches sticking out from many different directions so I originally thought I might get some nice crotch figure out of a few pieces but mostly it ended up being a log with a bunch of knots and defects. Originally turned to 1/4" to 5/16" wall thickness and was going to leave it as a once turned bowl. Had a couple spots of tear-out that I didn't want to sand out so I put in on the vacuum chuck and re-cut the outside. Needed to use sanding sealer plus some painters tape on the bottom to draw vacuum but trued up the outside without much difficulty. Thought about gluing a tenon on the bottom (even my big jaws don't open far enough for the recess) but not enough meat left without losing a bunch of height......so I left it as is, sanded it and applied first coat of walnut oil. I'll put a few more coats on over the next couple of weeks. Generally, I'd say I'm in the camp that says too much good wood around to waste time on goofy wood but there was something about this piece that made me do it.......just this once. Bowl ended up a little shy of 10" by 5" high.

bill pauley
01-05-2015, 6:19 PM
Cool. I can see the face of "ET" on the inside bottom of the bowl...pic#3.