PDA

View Full Version : OT: Converting brake system on a Medical Rollator.

Clarence Martin
01-05-2015, 3:30 PM
If anyone has seen those Rollators that Seniors sometimes have to use, you know that the brake system leaves a lot to be desired. The brake system is basically a cable bike brake , which often does not work very well , or sometimes not at all. Is there any way to convert that brake system to the same old fashioned, but works very well, wheelchair style lever brake ?

Jim Koepke
01-05-2015, 4:11 PM
Clarence,

It seems to be two different types of brakes you are talking about. The bike brake is usually a caliper for controlling speed and coming to a stop. I have seen handle locks that hold the brake lever in a parking brake configuration.

The wheel chair brake is more of a parking brake unless something has changed in wheel chair technology that hasn't come to my attention.

jtk

Mike Henderson
01-05-2015, 4:16 PM
The wheelchair brake that I'm familiar with is a lever on each wheel that you push into the rubber part of the wheel to lock the wheel. While the patient might be able to do it, I think it's mostly intended for the person assisting the patient. So when the patient is getting into the chair, or getting out, the wheels are locked.

On the "walkers" that seniors use, there are one or two bicycle type brake levers on the handles which are intended to be used by the patient to lock the wheels. I've seen two types. In the first type, the wheels are locked when the lever is pulled, just like on a bike. On the other, the wheels are locked as the default and the lever has to be pulled to release the brake.

Mike

Clarence Martin
01-05-2015, 4:21 PM
That is what I would like to do. Replace that cable brake with a steel lever parking style brake. Dealing with a Rollator for a Senior Citizen. They have gone through 2 of them and it's the same problem on both of them: The brakes fail. Not a safe design when you set the brakes, and the Rollator keeps moving forward or backwards.

Jim Koepke
01-05-2015, 4:39 PM
That is what I would like to do. Replace that cable brake with a steel lever parking style brake. Dealing with a Rollator for a Senior Citizen. They have gone through 2 of them and it's the same problem on both of them: The brakes fail. Not a safe design when you set the brakes, and the Rollator keeps moving forward or backwards.

Are the brakes a caliper type of brake?

Usually the cable stretches on this kind of set up and there is a way to adjust the cable.

jtk

Clarence Martin
01-05-2015, 4:43 PM
Are the brakes a caliper type of brake?

Usually the cable stretches on this kind of set up and there is a way to adjust the cable.

jtk

Tried doing that with both sets of Rollators. Doesn't seem to work for very long.

Jim Koepke
01-05-2015, 4:44 PM
Here is a document that includes brake adjustment information:

http://www.pmiusa.biz/pdf/rollators.pdf

I can see why one might like a more positive braking system.

jtk

Clarence Martin
01-05-2015, 5:05 PM
Thanks for the link. That cable brake is really a weak design. Not safe when the Senior sets the brakes, stands up and the Rollator rolls out behind them.

Jim Koepke
01-05-2015, 5:55 PM
Thanks for the link. That cable brake is really a weak design. Not safe when the Senior sets the brakes, stands up and the Rollator rolls out behind them.

Are the brakes supposed to remain locked when actuated?

The drawing in the link I offered looks like it is just a piece of metal rubbing on top of the wheel when the handle is pulled.

It is not a great design. If a company did go to the effort of designing and making a great mobility device, it would likely not sell much because of the cost.

Corporations can always prosper by making something cheaper. Most folks do not listen to the claims of higher quality. At least not enough to sustain the manufacture of high quality alternatives.

jtk

John McClanahan
01-05-2015, 7:07 PM
My mother used to use one of those. The brakes seemed to work OK. I may of had to adjust them once. If the brakes get adjusted too tight, the brake levers cannot be pushed down far enough to lock the brakes on.

John

Clarence Martin
01-05-2015, 7:50 PM
Are the brakes supposed to remain locked when actuated?

The drawing in the link I offered looks like it is just a piece of metal rubbing on top of the wheel when the handle is pulled.

It is not a great design. If a company did go to the effort of designing and making a great mobility device, it would likely not sell much because of the cost.

Corporations can always prosper by making something cheaper. Most folks do not listen to the claims of higher quality. At least not enough to sustain the manufacture of high quality alternatives.

jtk

Yes, the brakes are supposed to remain set when levers are locked down. Trouble is, the brakes don't exert enough pressure to keep the wheels from moving. With the simple lever brake that is on most wheelchairs, the lever exerts enough force to keep the wheels locked into position.

As for cost, I don't see it being any more than a couple of lengths of steel flat stock and few nuts and bolts. That's a lot cheaper than a lawsuit if someone gets hurt over a faulty designed brake system.

Mike Henderson
01-05-2015, 7:56 PM
How would the patient reach down to the wheels to set a lever brake? If they're that flexible and ambulatory they probably don't need a walker. Or do you expect that the patient will always have someone with them who can reach down to set the brakes.

If the patient wants to be independent, I expect the hand controls need to work (and work well).

Mike

Clarence Martin
01-05-2015, 8:09 PM
What I am thinking of , is having the levers extended to the height that are on a regular wheelchair. That would make them easy to work.

Tom Stenzel
01-06-2015, 12:13 PM
Hi Clarence,

The downside of using rods and levers to actuate the brakes means you lose the ability to fold the walker for transport. Cables are used for two reasons,for folding and for weight. If transporting the walker around isn't a concern then go ahead with any scheme you came up with.

When I tried one of those walkers I found the brakes not very robust but they did work OK. Since only the rear wheels lock stability gets iffy when there's more weight on the front wheels (the problem I had).

What specific problem are trying to solve? Does it not lock when the handle is squeezed, or lock when the handle is placed in the 'lock' position, or does it continually go out of adjustment? If it's the last I would suggest making sure the cable HOUSING(s) don't have any damage. Cable housings are for practical purposes incompressible. Damaged ones are and will make adjustment impossible. Make sure the cable housings are all seated securely.

Also make sure that the mechanism that clamps the cable doesn't bottom out on its threads before the cable is properly pinched. You'll have no end of frustration if the cable is continually slipping. I've seen that on bicycles.

It could be the handle just doesn't provide as much pull in the lock position as you need or like. And really, it sounds to me that's the problem you have and want to solve. How about a different approach- could the device that hits the tires be improved? Like teeth so that the tire can't slip? Other brake traction improvers?

Before you invest in some welding rods make sure the cables are sound. If you come up with something give an update. I'll be watching. Torches and some welding does sound like fun ;-)

BTW #1: At home I use walkers without any wheels, the ones with wheels and brakes aren't a good fit.

BTW #2: Mike, the type of chair with the wheels that are locked by an assistant is called a transport chair. A wheelchair for someone with no upper body impairment does have the locks within reach of the rider.

BTW #3: Now that I'm reading (the garbage) that I wrote, my statement that cable housings are incompressible needs a few qualifications. The housing need to be consistently routed or the inner cable length (and consequently the adjustment) will change. Possibly tie-wraps are needed to make sure all stays in the same place.

-Tom

Jim Matthews
01-06-2015, 6:22 PM
Caution is in order, here.

A brake that works too well for a senior
could result in the wheels locking,
and the operator being thrown
over the top of the walker.

I'm not convinced that better loop lock brakes are, well - better.

I would consider a walker that locks the wheels when the
operator is seated on it, sensible.

http://blog.rollmobility.com/2010/10/14/how-to-use-rollator-loop-lock-brakes/